Votes: 8 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 38 82.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up at 4 a.m. to drive on a Sunday morning. The first pink that I got was 16 minutes away from where I was. The second thing I got was 6 minutes away from where I was and I took it, it was a airport trip to Fort Lauderdale. When I got to the airport it was so crowded, I suggested that I take the passengers to the arrival terminals where there is no line and it was covered as it was raining. But for, for some reason they insisted that we wait in the departure line which took another 15 minutes. So after all of that I made $11 in one hour. Then I went to the waiting lot, but on my way to the waiting lot I saw that the airport entrance from The Uber lot was flooded to feet deep with cars and vans stalled out in the water. I left the Uber lot disgusted and drove home signed off. I make so little money driving for Uber that I'm having a real hard time staying motivated. It's even harder when passengers get in my car, because they want to talk to me and I don't feel that my energy in my intellectual capital is worth their Cheap Fare. I don't want to talk to them and I don't want to have to think because they talk to me, that's how low the pay is. What do you think?

I'm a 4.96 driver with 300+ trips.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I woke up at 4 a.m. to drive on a Sunday morning. The first pink that I got was 16 minutes away from where I was. The second thing I got was 6 minutes away from where I was and I took it, it was a airport trip to Fort Lauderdale. When I got to the airport it was so crowded, I suggested that I take the passengers to the arrival terminals where there is no line and it was covered as it was raining. But for, for some reason they insisted that we wait in the departure line which took another 15 minutes. So after all of that I made $11 in one hour. Then I went to the waiting lot, but on my way to the waiting lot I saw that the airport entrance from The Uber lot was flooded to feet deep with cars and vans stalled out in the water. I left the Uber lot disgusted and drove home signed off. I make so little money driving for Uber that I'm having a real hard time staying motivated. It's even harder when passengers get in my car, because they want to talk to me and I don't feel that my energy in my intellectual capital is worth their Cheap Fare. I don't want to talk to them and I don't want to have to think because they talk to me, that's how low the pay is. What do you think?

Yep.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts

I posted the below reply nearly 2 and 1/2 years ago. It was true back then just as its true today.

Uber has ruined this industry. You will never get more then a few pennies. Uber has convinced America it only cost a few pennies a mile to operate a fare for hire vehicle. And the worst part is that on any given day, there is at least 20 drivers at the Phoenix office signing up to drive for pennies. This industry is ruined.

Jun 4, 2016Report
+ QuoteReply

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
It all boils down to how good your market is and what you're trying to get out of ridesharing. This is still an ideal gig for occasional play money if you can be selective and live in an area with a potential for profitable trips.

To make it a livable gig? You would have to be invested significantly to a point where you're out driving 12+ hours a day and sacrificing a car or two, even then it's going to greatly depend on your market. Still, it's going to be a gamble and the return on your investments might be disappointing.

Here's my personal take on all of this. Sure, ridesharing has helped me significantly at a time where I had no other source of income for a brief period. I still drive, but significantly less as I'm working a real job. Your 300+ trips were my good month's worth of work. Not anymore.

My advice, find something more stable with real guaranteed earnings. Even a minimum wage job would have better returns on your time and effort in the long run. With ridesharing, you're sacrificing long term equity for a short term gain no matter how enticing the amount of money you actually make.

I will continue to drive but much much less than what I used to. I might even buy a stock or two when they have their IPOs, all under the assumption that I would walk away from it all at a moment's notice.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
What do you think? I'm a 4.96 driver with 300+ trips.
300 trips? That's about a couple weeks worth of driving, enough to know the job sucks. I'll tell you what I think: I think it's ludicrous to make rideshare a "real" job, because it ain't a real job. You'll have to risk 80-100 hours on the streets, and that much time on the road increases your chances of having an accident, getting falsely accused, racking up too many miles on your vehicle, getting robbed or shot, etc....
If you have to rely on steady income, go apply for a steady 40-hour a week job that provides benefits. You'll be happier, so stop wasting your time.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Strongly agree. Today I finally got pissed off enough to call in to Uber support and ask them to remove Uber Eats from my account. I explained that since I added it about six months ago my earnings have been way down and how I now routinely make 2-3 times more with Lyft due to it.

I told them that I want it removed because I theorize that the algorithm is giving me less Uber X trips for whatever reason due to having Eats on my account but not taking Eats pings. I also asked the agent to verify that there was nothing wrong with my account.

I explained how many days I will go out for five hours and get 1 ping (for $3 or $4) from Uber in that time while I will get 5-6 from Lyft, etc. and how I was really sick of it and if it did not stop being like that I would stop driving for Uber.

I'm really getting sick of having 20+ hours online each week with Uber for $100. It's just not worth it and gets me REALLY pissed off when I am sitting in a good spot with no other drivers nearby and watching a line of people leaving the hotel while not getting pings. Honestly for my own sanity if this keeps up I am going to have to just quit because there is a real risk I might end up "going postal" on someone otherwise!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
If UBER paid more, that would attract more drivers. Then there would be more people driving, and it would be harder for us to find passengers.

I think we deserve more, but I'm not sure what the solution is.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
You'll have to risk 80-100 hours on the streets, and that much time on the road increases your chances of having an accident, getting falsely accused, racking up too many miles on your vehicle, getting robbed or shot, etc....

If you have to rely on steady income, go apply for a steady 40-hour a week job that provides benefits. You'll be happier, so stop wasting your time.
OP drives in South Florida. Some of the most chaotic driving you'll ever see.

It is like this clip below, except less dust, more cars, more rain, more asphalt.

About the same are the interesting characters you encounter and weapons.

·
Premium Member
11,607 Posts
When I got to the airport it was so crowded, I suggested that I take the passengers to the arrival terminals where there is no line and it was covered as it was raining. But for, for some reason they insisted that we wait in the departure line which took another 15 minutes.
First of all, a caution about FLL -- be very careful there to comply with the dropoff and pickup locations. The Broward Sheriff's Office is very heavy-handed in their enforcement at both FLL and Port Everglades. (And also, if your pax were checking luggage, dropping them off in arrivals would have been a real disservice.)

Personally I avoid the airport queues in South Florida anyway. I NEVER wait at FLL after a dropoff, and rarely wait at MIA. There are way too many ants, and the likelihood of short rides is pretty high. There are better places to be.

On the quest question, I consider those freebies. I don't change my driving for them, but if I'm only a ride or two away, I might drive a little longer. If I get it, fine. If not, that's fine also. But I don't take Poop or Uberrhea and I don't hang out places where I know I'll get one shortie after another just to make my quest.

A cap on new drivers.
LMAO...you've got to be kidding! Please tell me you're kidding...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Strongly agree. Today I finally got pissed off enough to call in to Uber support and ask them to remove Uber Eats from my account. I explained that since I added it about six months ago my earnings have been way down and how I now routinely make 2-3 times more with Lyft due to it.

I told them that I want it removed because I theorize that the algorithm is giving me less Uber X trips for whatever reason due to having Eats on my account but not taking Eats pings. I also asked the agent to verify that there was nothing wrong with my account.

I explained how many days I will go out for five hours and get 1 ping (for $3 or $4) from Uber in that time while I will get 5-6 from Lyft, etc. and how I was really sick of it and if it did not stop being like that I would stop driving for Uber.

I'm really getting sick of having 20+ hours online each week with Uber for $100. It's just not worth it and gets me REALLY pissed off when I am sitting in a good spot with no other drivers nearby and watching a line of people leaving the hotel while not getting pings. Honestly for my own sanity if this keeps up I am going to have to just quit because there is a real risk I might end up "going postal" on someone otherwise!
you can deactivate uber eats through the app. it'll still be on your account, but you won't get any requests for it. I signed up for uber eats a few months ago. I got three or four requests for it, all were 20+ minutes away (I drive in Chicago, i'm not driving more than 10 minutes for a pickup), finally I just deactivated deliveries. if you have the new app (blue logo), click on the 3 lines at the bottom right corner of the home screen, click on the two lines at the bottom right corner of that screen, you can turn deliveries off there. I forgot how to do it on the old app, but hopefully that helps you out.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
you can deactivate uber eats through the app. it'll still be on your account, but you won't get any requests for it. if you have the new app (blue logo), click on the 3 lines at the bottom right corner of the home screen, click on the two lines at the bottom right corner of that screen, you can turn deliveries off there. I forgot how to do it on the old app, but hopefully that helps you out.
That does deactivate the requests, but it doesn't deactivate the annoying popups begging you to turn it back on. :(
Also, remember that if you fully sign off of the app, you'll need to go into settings again to once again turn the Eats feature off, because signing back on defaults to accepting all requests again, including Eats.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts