Uber Drivers Forum banner

The pay cut made me a better driver.....

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Felixqb 
#1 ·
Thanks to what Uber did to the rates I have become and exemplar driver. Today (Tuesday 12) I did not exceed the speed limits not even for 1 mile over it, actually I drove under the speed limit, I allowed every single car in front of me to change lines in front of mine when they put the directionals to do so, I did not pass one single yellow light and I did all the Stops properly, I mean I always complete stop my car, but today I was looking in both ditections while in the stop wich took me 2 to 3 seconds in each Stop sign. I was like a driver being filmed to be show in the DMV in a video to new drivers in how you suposse to drive. Oh and nothing of hassle with other cars that would not let me change lines even when I had my directionals on, if they didn't let me pass, "oh well we had to continue to next street". So in total I added minutes to all my trips. We all should do this, between Uber and Lyft 500k drivers slowing LA's trafict, it would not only drive crazy the companies and the other drivers in the street, but also help to create more surch since we would all be taking longer to complete the rides.If you find a passanger that ask you if you could go a little faster, just point to the icon in your phone where it shows the speed limit and tell them that Uber is watching tha you comply with the laws and besides with the 25% reduction in our pay we can't risk any tickets that would not be able to afford.

#8 · (Edited)
I think I wrote this :)

Ways to make and save while driving U/L with lower mileage rates and higher per minutes.

Drive Surge.
Drive Surge
Uh, Drive Surge

Or...

Drive speed limit. Or... sneak a peek with rear view mirror at Pax. If eyes staring at Cellphone, slow it down.
Choose Longer and Slower routes if situation is appropriate.

Wait 1 minute after dropping off Pax before ending trip.

Eat less or bring your own food/drinks. You know who I'm talking about.

Dont replace tires at 3/32nds, go to 2/32nds or less. Bald is beautiful and good tread dept is overrated; or never rains in sunny California... don't you know.

Squeaking brakes and suspension parts add to customer experience. Also great conversation starter.

Draft Trucks on highways. Especially for drivers with an ICE. I watched Mythbusters and you can increase mpg to 4 - 12%; if you ain't kissing that trucks Maxon Liftgate...you ain't trying.

Increase tire PSI to MAX Limit. Except for you guys who roll on used tires bought @ $35 installed. You guys just pump over max psi... only $35 per to replace when you blow sidewalls after hitting a CURB or a LA pothole.

And last but not least... Quit Rideshare and get a good paying job with bennies.

Unless you have just under 10,000 or just under 20k miles on Lyft, then drive more, 'cause Lyft has your back with a Sweatheart Cash/Stock IPO deal... Lyft wouldn't lie to drivers, right? Same for FUber just before their Stock IPO.

Wrote this with tongue in cheek...or did I?

#9 · (Edited)
Dude, i see your logic, but that's no good solution either for those, who is involved:
Your math is way off... Going slower will only reduce your income. You can't change amount of minutes in one hour( so, top wage for going slower will be 60 min*$.21+ miles). Less miles you drive in those 60min. less money you'll get. And besides that, not only you deliberately lowering your own pay, you challenging others too by creating extra traffic..oh, and Uber only benefits from your action, as they make this way even more money...as long as you're driving (no matter how) Uber is profiting!!!
Let's set something straight: Uber is on the verge of IPO...so, at this point all they give a damn is bottom line (profitability)... The only way to stop Uber from taking profits and start listening to us IS to make Uber LOOSE money or, at least, stop/sabotage it's income.
Uber insists that we are independent contractors, so we can come to work as we please and we are their cash cows.. We need to use that for our advantage!!!
If only we could all, organized, just do log off for period of 10 hours for let's say 2 days a week for a month ( we can keep working during other times), in other words (creating massive "days off" or "days without Uber". We're still getting our wages(most of it at least), because all we did is shift our work. But for Uber it will be straight loss for that time and days... This way, in the month Uber will loose income of ~%20 (sounds kinda familiar, kinda like our rate reduction)
I'll bet you anything, loosing 20%, even in single City market(like LA, SF, Chicago) for a month will do plenty of damage to IPO valuation ( meaning lower stock price, meaning less money to corporate heads).
If, miraculously, we could manage such strike for a quarter, their IPO might be a total failure....and Uber Heads know it .....

Thank you but I think you fail to see the big picture here,it is not about the 3 cents, it is a way to fight back. But if you have a better idea, feel free to pitch in instead of just criticize other's.
Again, my friend, you're not fighting back by slowing down...That what Uber is exactly counting on...Do the math, you can fight math only with math....

I get the 25% cut. It's possible that it will surge higher now and can earn more.
Not at all....Surge riding is not a solution, it's workaround.....

#10 ·
Thank you but I think you fail to see the big picture here,it is not about the 3 cents, it is a way to fight back. But if you have a better idea, feel free to pitch in instead of just criticize other's.
You fight back by not driving for shitty rates. Wait until it surges, upgrade to a higher platform, or quit. You're playing right into Ubers hands by driving through heavy traffic and taking rides other drivers were avoiding before.

#12 · (Edited)
I'll repeat myself again and again: the ONLY way to not to feed into the Uber is NO DRIVING!! (When you drive surge, you, actually return to Uber even more money!!)

But not to drive alone is crazy, because it will do nothing to Uber.. We need to create a citywide event!! Only this way they will notice, when, let's say, LA market will just shut down for a day or two.. meaning no dinero, nada, zilch to Uber...

Really, people, right now the timing is perfect for grabbing FUber by throat!!! As they prepping their effing IPO, they are very vulnerable to loss reports, it will sting them like wasp!!

#11 ·
Did anyone else notice a change in the routing this morning. I went to the airport today and it took me a totally different route, it was like waze. It's always been down La Brea etc. This morning it had me going through neighborhoods, tons of left turns etc. It was like Uber was trying to get me there faster.

#22 ·
Uber navigation is screwy. It shows the quickest route and plays into their upfront pricing (possibly).

Some people think long hauling is unethical but only to a degree. I try to take a longer route (within reason) because I need to cover my expenses & turn a profit. That also takes money out of Uber's pocket & into mine.

I've noticed that their service charge & booking fee is considerably less and sometimes in the negatives when I do that. And to the haters that think that's not right, the passenger is not always charged more when that is the case.

No soup for Fuber!

#16 ·
I knew U/L drivers were bad a math but had no idea that they are incapable a simple logic.
I does not matter if it is the old rates or the new rates.......THE SLOWER YOU DRIVE THE LESS MONEY YOU MAKE PER HOUR.

Example:
60 mile trip at 60 mph vs 30 mph.
At 60 mph you make (60 * $0.60) = $36 plus (60 * $0.21) =$12.60 Total $48.60
At 30 mph you make (60 * $0.60) = $36 plus (120 * $0.21) = $25.20 Total $61.20
So yes you made more money for the 30 mph trip.....BUT at 60 mph you made $48.60 per hour while at 30 mph you made $30.60 per hour.
In your effort to screwed over Uber you totally screwed yourself.

It's like Uber is using an old Jedi mind trick on drivers:
"These are not the droids you are looking for".

#19 ·
Dayum, imagine if:

1) Everyone decided to ditch owning a car and use rideshare (Goober's ultimate wet dream) >>

Leading to

2) Rideshare drivers driving as good as you because time factors more $ than distance >>

Leading to

3) Self-driving cars can then hit the roads because there are less errant drivers around!

It could be more subtle conditioning from Goober! :eek::eek::eek:

#20 ·
Fight back by turning off the app until you see surge higher than 1.6 and NEVER take rides lower than 1.6 unless you are done for the day and need to get home on DF. Be out of driving mode when it isn't surging so there is no supply to meet the demand.
Like somedriverguy said Uber counts drivers with app open as available. Before it used to work but now Uber knows the difference between a true shortage of drivers and when there are drivers lurking angling for more pay. They know a majority who are lurking will eventually give in surge or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.