Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It had not been, a great week.

While driving last Friday morning, paramedics telephoned to advise of a medical emergency. The Matriarch was transported to trauma, with injuries of significance that...I needed to notify the scattered family. My Sister In Law from Tennessee, was first to arrive, flying in that night.

Over the next week, I started my drive shift regularly at 0400, but, had to shorten each day for one reason or another. In the evening I drew “the late shift” with the Patient, cause...they all think “flexible gig” means I can swap 8 hours of my day to drive them around. I was getting less than 4 hours of sleep a night, only working half days, and quite frankly...there are only so many conversations I can have about “Tennessee manure” before a self inflicted gunshot wound becomes a legitimate ‘out’ of the conversation.

Sister In Law had to return to Tennessee Thursday night, and not before time. I was in the same shirt for a third day, my pants looked like they had never been ironed, my hair long and scruffy, and I can’t remember when I last shaved. If ever I looked like a driver who lived in his car, this was it.

My energy was slipping, my tolerance was almost done. And I knew it. I’d had a marginal slip in my ratings during the week from my own fatigue and grumpiness.

At San Diego airport I dropped Sister In Law off. I gave her a hug and reassured her that her mom would be taken care of. I waved her off and walked behind my vehicle, closing the trunk where I had unloaded her luggage. As it went “thunk” I heard an unknown female voice.

“Don’t forget our luggage.”

This was a peculiar request for several reasons. The departure level at San Diego is upstairs, there’s no pick ups authorized there. The other thing is, I wasn’t working. My cell phone was mounted but the app had been off for about three hours.

Looking into the back seat, I see two ladies plugging their cell phones into the rear mounted chargers. I recognize the error of their ways, and walk back to the curb side and open the door.

“Thank you, please step out. You have the wrong Uber.”

Now, to 90% of women who take Uber, that’s what is called “a clue”. She looks down at her app and thrusts the phone in my face.

“I ordered Uber,” she defiantly claims.

I check her app. She’s matched with a silver Prius driven by an female with orange hair. I drive a black Chevy SUV and have brown hair, possibly in need of a douse of Just For Men. I turn the phone back to her.

“Check the photo, do I look like that person?” This is her second clue, but still, she’s not with the program.

She looks at the photo and back to me and says “But we like your vehicle better.”

I calmly inform her that I’m not working, that she needs to go downstairs and cross to the transport island where, if she’s lucky, her driver may not have cancelled on her.

“Can’t you take us?”

And now...I’m done.

I don’t remember the exact verbiage or the exact volume used, but, I was aware that everyone around me stopped walking. Harbor Police standing aways off began moving towards me and still, the ladies were sitting in my car. I leaned into the rear seat with the still open door and drew closer to the confused account holder, and whisper in her ear.

“Get out before you’re the next Uber fatality”.

Her face went pale, as she began to step out, in slow motion. Her friend exited quicker through the far door, Harbor Police stopped approaching and everyone began to walk again. The ladies stepped up to the kerb beside their luggage, the Account Holder looking between her cell phone and me, still attempting to resolve the disconnect. I pause before getting into the drivers seat and give her the missing information she needs.

I yell outs “It’s because you’re a moron.”

I board my vehicle and drive off, trying to work out how I can claim $3.75 shuffle fee against her.

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,372 Posts
Did you have Uber trade dress displayed? If not you could have just told her you aren't even a rideshare driver and if she doesn't get out of your car ASAP, she and her friend may end up on the evening news broadcast.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Straight up I would of adjusted it slightly As I leaned into the car I would of made sure to hit my head a few times against the jam and then started screaming car jacking. Help. That would of gotten those cops to run instead of walk.

When cops got over there claim assault with injury and watch them explain to the cops why they are taking a non Uber vehicle and all.

Not on duty means non-Uber car. Can’t just take whatever car you want.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
According to Uber and Lyft policy and airport authority regulation, no rideshare drivers could take their families and friends to airport or from airport when Uber or Lyft tradmark is on the windshield. This is what I've read.
You were lucky that no airport authority had asked you to show your will bill at that time.

·
Registered
695 Posts
According to Uber and Lyft policy and airport authority regulation, no rideshare drivers could take their families and friends to airport or from airport when Uber or Lyft tradmark is on the windshield. This is what I've read.
You were lucky that no airport authority had asked you to show your will bill at that time.
Like I care about Uber/Lyft policy. I carry a gun while I rideshare. What are they going to do about that?

·
25,858 Posts
WELCOME TO MY WORLD!/BIENVENIDO AL MUNDO MIYO!

I can have fifty OFF DUTY signs on my cab, and people will STILL think that I am supposed to pick them up and give them a ride. When you will not haul them, they scream at you, swear at you , kick your cab, throw things at it. One or two guys have had their windshields smashed over it.

In addition, you get these types who are Self-Appointed-Guardians-Of-The-Public-Morals who accuse you of not taking on the passenger because of this or that. I have had them walk up to me when I would not pick up some other guy and heap abuse on me or tell me that since I am scared, that I should get out of the business.

I tell these people:

"If we assume for a moment that you actually ARE an [intercoursing} hack inspector...............HOW MANY OFF DUTY SIGNS DO I NEED?"

I have three on the dashboard, two on the passenger side; one in each window on each door and one on the driver side; in the window on the back door. Only a "visually challenged" (you SJWs here please let me know if this is the current PC term for it) person could not figure out that I ain't workin'.....................either that or some abject moron....................

I also get these people who will see my Uber or Lyft trade dress, when I am driving the Uber/Lyft car, that is, who will ask me if they can get a ride. They are asking the wrong guy that question. If you want to do a street hail, they have taxis for that. Hail a cab.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
It had not been, a great week.

While driving last Friday morning, paramedics telephoned to advise of a medical emergency. The Matriarch was transported to trauma, with injuries of significance that...I needed to notify the scattered family. My Sister In Law from Tennessee, was first to arrive, flying in that night.

Over the next week, I started my drive shift regularly at 0400, but, had to shorten each day for one reason or another. In the evening I drew "the late shift" with the Patient, cause...they all think "flexible gig" means I can swap 8 hours of my day to drive them around. I was getting less than 4 hours of sleep a night, only working half days, and quite frankly...there are only so many conversations I can have about "Tennessee manure" before a self inflicted gunshot wound becomes a legitimate 'out' of the conversation.

Sister In Law had to return to Tennessee Thursday night, and not before time. I was in the same shirt for a third day, my pants looked like they had never been ironed, my hair long and scruffy, and I can't remember when I last shaved. If ever I looked like a driver who lived in his car, this was it.

My energy was slipping, my tolerance was almost done. And I knew it. I'd had a marginal slip in my ratings during the week from my own fatigue and grumpiness.

At San Diego airport I dropped Sister In Law off. I gave her a hug and reassured her that her mom would be taken care of. I waved her off and walked behind my vehicle, closing the trunk where I had unloaded her luggage. As it went "thunk" I heard an unknown female voice.

"Don't forget our luggage."

This was a peculiar request for several reasons. The departure level at San Diego is upstairs, there's no pick ups authorized there. The other thing is, I wasn't working. My cell phone was mounted but the app had been off for about three hours.

Looking into the back seat, I see two ladies plugging their cell phones into the rear mounted chargers. I recognize the error of their ways, and walk back to the curb side and open the door.

"Thank you, please step out. You have the wrong Uber."

Now, to 90% of women who take Uber, that's what is called "a clue". She looks down at her app and thrusts the phone in my face.

"I ordered Uber," she defiantly claims.

I check her app. She's matched with a silver Prius driven by an female with orange hair. I drive a black Chevy SUV and have brown hair, possibly in need of a douse of Just For Men. I turn the phone back to her.

"Check the photo, do I look like that person?" This is her second clue, but still, she's not with the program.

She looks at the photo and back to me and says "But we like your vehicle better."

I calmly inform her that I'm not working, that she needs to go downstairs and cross to the transport island where, if she's lucky, her driver may not have cancelled on her.

"Can't you take us?"

And now...I'm done.

I don't remember the exact verbiage or the exact volume used, but, I was aware that everyone around me stopped walking. Harbor Police standing aways off began moving towards me and still, the ladies were sitting in my car. I leaned into the rear seat with the still open door and drew closer to the confused account holder, and whisper in her ear.

"Get out before you're the next Uber fatality".

Her face went pale, as she began to step out, in slow motion. Her friend exited quicker through the far door, Harbor Police stopped approaching and everyone began to walk again. The ladies stepped up to the kerb beside their luggage, the Account Holder looking between her cell phone and me, still attempting to resolve the disconnect. I pause before getting into the drivers seat and give her the missing information she needs.

I yell outs "It's because you're a moron."

I board my vehicle and drive off, trying to work out how I can claim $3.75 shuffle fee against her.
You are probably lucky she was a moron
and didnt know how to get a
pic of your plate before you left.
I'm betting that threat leads to a
swift deactivation and maybe even
charges if she woulda told those cops.
Hope mom is OK...

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,372 Posts
I've had pax try to get into my GTI when I'm cruising slowly through a parking lot by the entrance. My 2 door GTI....but its small and I guess some folks think because it fuel economy car, I must be rideshare. While I was paused for some pedestrians walking into the store, this girl stepped off the curb and began pawing at my rear quarter panel while staring at her phone.

This car.....they try and get into this car, with its German plates.
Car Vehicle Plant Vehicle registration plate Grille

1 - 11 of 11 Posts