Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the latest app version seems to be still tracking my location when I've quit the app even though it is supposed to stop tracking my location.

I signed out of the app and it kept tracking my location.

anyone else notice this?

seems a bit suspicious?

·
Banned
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You gave it permission. I saw this when I switched to an android phone. That's is why you should have an Uber-only phone and turn it off at the end of your shift.

How did you spot it?
well, the only permission i gave it was to "use my location whilst app is on" that is all...

it now uses my location 24/7 even when app is off and I've signed out.

this under Apple terms of apps modus operandi is wrong and I would guess that under various state and federal privacy laws is also wrong.

I'm sure after Uber reaps the benefits of spying on us for enough time they'll come clean and say they've "fixed the bug" that did this?

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
If you give permission, which you have to do explicitly on Android, you have kissed your privacy goodbye.

I know I gave permission to them, but how do you know they are actually doing it?

P.S. rider app is different. Only when app is on.

·
Banned
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you give permission, which you have to do explicitly on Android, you have kissed your privacy goodbye.

I know I gave permission to them, but how do you know they are actually doing it?

i really have no idea what you are saying... sorry, are you drunk?

the permission states ALLOW APP TO USE MY LOCATION WHILE APP IS ON

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I noticed the same thing after upgrading to new version yesterday.
Are they going to collect information on surge hunters? Maybe.... If app off and waiting for surge, now they can see us. Possibly even use this behavior against us.
Big Brother business intelligence at work!

·
Banned
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed the same thing after upgrading to new version yesterday.
Are they going to collect information on surge hunters? Maybe.... If app off and waiting for surge, now they can see us. Possibly even use this behavior against us.
Big Brother business intelligence at work!
This is it exactly.

or to get info to then use to make more money by selling it etc etc. the list is practically endless for vile little evil jerks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
i turn it off and log off... i have no idea what "slide the app out" is... is that an android thing?
do you mean delete the app every time i stop driving?
I think he is referring to how you can kill processes that are still running in the background under Android.
You use the softkey that pulls up the running apps and on certain versions.. you "slide them off", essentially closing the app completely.
Other have an X you click to close, instead of sliding them across the screen.
It does not delete the app, only kill processes running in the background.

Sounds like you are using an Apple iphone.
Is it the one they issued to you or your personal iPhone?

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle
Font Screenshot Multimedia Software Number

On iPhone here are both the rider and driver app messages if you turn off location services. You can still use the rider app, but not the driver app.

If you double click the home key, all your running apps show. To close one, swipe up.

Green Operating system Communication Device Font Screenshot

But the real question is, can it access your location even if the app is off

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Actually the Uber tracks Riders as well even when the Rider App is not running. A complaint has been filed by Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) with the FTC on this. I've tried to bring it to EPIC's attention that Drivers have even less privacy under Uber's new Privacy Policy in the hope that it includes Drivers as well in the complaint.

Please read the thread:
Uber's New Privacy Policy Admits That Riders (And Drivers) Have No Privacy

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Uber is in the business of collecting data. It's big business! This should not come as a surprise to anyone. We are the one's who get to pay for all the used data while Uber spies on us during our off time. How does that make you feel?

·
Registered
203 Posts
View attachment 13488 View attachment 13489

On iPhone there are both the rider and driver app messages if you turn off location services. You can still use the rider app, but not the driver app.

If you double click the home key, all your running apps show. To close one, swipe up.

View attachment 13490
But the real question is, can it access your location even if the app is off
This answer is correct. For extra safety:
Settings>Privacy>Location Services

Find Uber Partner and set it to "Never"!

(Sneaky Uber, you have to watch them every minute!!!)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to clarify:
Old behavior Uber tracked your location only when "online"
New behavior uber tracks your location as soon as you open the partner app and until you close it, I.e. Force quit it. On the iPhone this is done by double clicking home button and swiping up to close the app.

I wonder why Uber is doing this. They don't need to know my location unless I'm online. If I'm just check my earnings or something it shouldn't be tracking my location.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I think he is referring to how you can kill processes that are still running in the background under Android.
You use the softkey that pulls up the running apps and on certain versions.. you "slide them off", essentially closing the app completely.
Other have an X you click to close, instead of sliding them across the screen.
It does not delete the app, only kill processes running in the background.

Sounds like you are using an Apple iphone.
Is it the one they issued to you or your personal iPhone?
I have android. What the hell is a soft key?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.