Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it might be somewhere on the forum but here is my "Q" :

last Saturday I pu two girls frm fox & hound, the one girls goes to UC and the other one needs to go to Collingswood NJ, but they want two separate req's . Ok however I drop the first girl and then ask the second one to send in the request. As I sit with them in my car I should get the ping ..she send in a req two times and it goes to different drivers ?? I didn't mind anyway but it leaves me confused how the system works ??

Is the pattern calculated by how many trips,rating, or what ?? Or could it be that actually a physical person in front of the screen can manipulate the system and choose which driver should get which ride ???

Maybe somebody outta there has an answer ??

·
Premium Member
23,299 Posts
I have had to do this on a number of occasions. Sometimes it works immediately, other times not at all. Bottom line, I think, is how many other Ubers there are around you. If not too many it works like a charm. If there are a ton of Ubers it might take a few attempts. And, the real bummer is getting other Rider pings and having to ignore or cancel them and knowing it lowers your Acceptance Rate, when all you are trying to do is help the current Rider.

·
Registered
53 Posts
isn't the software system designed that it takes the closest driver ??
I contacted Uber on this topic a while back, and according to them our "closest driver" sentiment is correct which baffles me though as to why you didn't get the young lady's request b/c you can't get any closer than already being in the respective driver's car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, wchristman here, live in Old City and brand new to Uber driving. Just got approved. Any advice for a "newbie" would be helpful. Looks like you are a real pro art this. I am planning and driving mostly evening and nights..some week nights but def all weekend night.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My observations is that when you look at your rider's app while online in the partner app, you will see that even though your pin is right on top or next to your car, it still shows est. time 2-4 minutes. So, I don't think it's Uber software but rather GPS coordinates that the software gets and it makes it thinks that the rider is 2-4 minutes away.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I wonder if they also do a quick navigation calculation to determine the closest driver. For instance, you could have been on a one way and the system thought you passed the passenger and therefore pinged a driver on the next block who should have a shorter travel time....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had the same question when I tried to do that. I ended up sending in a help request to get it straightened out. It also makes me wonder about people who say they get pax that request them specifically. How do they guarantee they'll get the ping?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We will never know the true algorithm of how pings are distributed. We have heard everything from closest to highest rated driver within x miles to nobody has a clue as it appears very random. Stories about seeing an Uber driver 4 minutes away only to see after request accepted it turns to 14 minutes away. It is crazy that you have the passenger in the car and don't get the ping first. It is very cloudy as to how this works. I don't think they can request a specific driver, must be coincidence.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Apparently high-usage passengers get put in a VIP program, as do drivers who can somehow maintain 4.85...Then you may get matched with those passengers more often?

I have heard on these forums getting VIP status actually sucks, because you start getting VIP pings from further away...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The VIP status is totally moronic that way they use it. There is a better chance of having a VIP vehicle further away, so why not just increase the rates on those rides, or don't take the 20% fee or eliminate the safe ride fee and reduce the commission to 10%. So many things Uber can do to further make the VIP request more suitable for everyone. Sometimes we all see just how short sighted these guys can be sitting in the ivory tower.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm a so-called VIP status but I'm not going to get anything special for picking up VIPs am I?

That might explain the 45 min ping to Ft Washington though.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Ahhhh yes, that could definitely explain that 45 minute ping. That's the problem with VIP status, is that there is nothing, and I mean nothing to incentivize the driver to go out of their way to pick up a VIP request. Uber makes it look like there is something special with that status, but in the meantime it's just a crock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts