Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps,

I will share some of my weekly numbers in hope for actual feedback, to check if everyone is going through something similar in terms of earnings (maybe my #'s are bad because I still don't do this shit right?) and to point out that despite the PDBs being held, our actual earnings continue to go down. Is it the 'summer slump'? Is this the new normal? Is anyone seeing the same?

You can click the image - and see my numbers (before and after PDB):

1) The average revenue per trip keeps dropping very fast - I don't know yet the mix between pool/UberX but I imagine the increase in Pools is the main factor
2) No surge impact - Surge has become less than 6% of the weekly pay (used to be 20%)
3)The average revenue per hour is also dropping, from a high of $38/hr to this week's $28/hr (almost 30%) and this is even after PDB
4)Doesn't matter if I continue to work extra hours to hit the PDB, the earnings per trip continue to decline, so extra work is NOT making up for 'lost' revenue
5)This last horrible week, I still ended up hitting 120 trips, for a measly $724 in earnings (before PDBs)

Does anyone else see the same? Will back-to-school help to get back to normal? Should we go back to alternate Lyft/Uber in some sort way? (Obviously I've been doing UBER only)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
This is fourth of July week. It is not a "normal"

Anybody with an office job knows that office is about half staffed, just like it is the same time every year.

Except they're back today. I did 18 rides noon to 5pm.

Also, with such a high percentage of university students as riders , a slow summer should have been presumed. Plenty of businesses are seasonal, that doesn't mean your "normal" is changing

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Your numbers are accurate as far as I can tell may be the trips that surged is a little different from how I remember mine ,every pay period used to be 60% and above before pdb plus, the inflated hourly gross from Uber was between 40$ to 54$ per hour .

Also no surge has resulted in longer miles with obviously lower per minute pay lot more time wasted as well picking up different pool riders , pool has got more efficient but it mostly benefits uber since we are getting the raw side of the deal "no morals".

Drive less so that Uber notices that prices are low and sometimes they will make it surge on purpose or they will bring more promotions , mm a rate increase is unlikely lol.

Before pdb plus I used to make 500$ by Tuesday .If everything went on plan without me getting lazy, Friday night started with a pay out of 1k but mostly it would be 800$ simply cause I would get lazy or into a bad mood and not drive .

I'm now making 50 trips a week I barely ever get even 500$ pay outs lol to think few months ago that was 14 or 16 hours work !

I love lyft but your highest paycheck might still be with Uber if you are working over 40 hours , try tweaking the hours and where you drive.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Maybe check your % pay too, but it may not mean that much week to week. I should be at the 80\20 split, which was the case per my yearly summary for year 2014. Then the ratio gradually favored Uber in Year 2015, then even moreso YTD in Year 2016. I started noticing $3.75 for cancellation fees whereas it should have been $4 which is what prompted my curiosity. I'm guessing it's a couple or so grand $ discrepancy. I printed out my 2014 & 2015 & 2016 monthly summaries from the desktop and plan to reconcile those numbers in person some time when I'm near Daly City (just gotta remember to not cancel that trip to SFO - haha) . But yeah, this week has been horrible.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oddly, when looking at trips per hour, it remains between 2.8 to 3.1 on all weeks... so it is not necessarily less demand, it is really less money per trip. I'll look at the mix between pools vs UberX trips during my last 6 weeks, but I pretty much imagine what I will find.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Maybe check your % pay too, but it may not mean that much week to week. I should be at the 80\20 split, which was the case per my yearly summary for year 2014. Then the ratio gradually favored Uber in Year 2015, then even moreso YTD in Year 2016. I started noticing $3.75 for cancellation fees whereas it should have been $4 which is what prompted my curiosity. I'm guessing it's a couple or so grand $ discrepancy. I printed out my 2014 & 2015 & 2016 monthly summaries from the desktop and plan to reconcile those numbers in person some time when I'm near Daly City (just gotta remember to not cancel that trip to SFO - haha) . But yeah, this week has been horrible.
Uber did this to me as well.. Surreptitiously changed my 20% deduction to 25%. From what I'be heard, several drivers have experienced the same.

For months, at the beginning of this year I was emailing them every week to get it corrected. As usual, every rep would say something different after the former rep acknowledged the mistake. Finally it "went away" back to the correct rate regularly. Lo and behold, last month I began noticing they were skimming that extra 5% again.

Long story short.. They will correct it and credit you the pay, but it may take some persistence and it may require more than one correction. I would save yourself some time and shoot them an email (which will turn to a few) rather than head to the office. If they do not credit you immediately, request that it be escalated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Uber did this to me as well.. Surreptitiously changed my 20% deduction to 25%. From what I'be heard, several drivers have experienced the same.

For months, at the beginning of this year I was emailing them every week to get it corrected. As usual, every rep would say something different after the former rep acknowledged the mistake. Finally it "went away" back to the correct rate regularly. Lo and behold, last month I began noticing they were skimming that extra 5% again.

Long story short.. They will correct it and credit you the pay, but it may take some persistence and it may require more than one correction. I would save yourself some time and shoot them an email (which will turn to a few) rather than head to the office. If they do not credit you immediately, request that it be escalated.
What month/year did you start?
I had similar issue but they said because I started after September 2014 that I'm at 25%

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I started in November 2014, but I started in LA. LA was 20% until October 2015. Some reps will tell you they're changing your commission because they're lazy and they don't understand any better. Most reps, especially the senior reps and the ones in the Chicago office I spoke to on the phone several times that deal specifically with driver morale (new team 2016) know that your commission never should have been changed.

The idea was that new drivers got the 25% commission and existing drivers remain at 20%. You signed up under 20%, therefor you should stay at 20%, regardless of market. My original contract under my driver dashboard still shows the original contract plus addendums.

If you happen to need further help, I'm happy to talk to you on the phone or privately. The 5% difference ended up being hundreds of dollars a month. Get your $, you earned it!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
(They were also paying me LA guarantee rates 6 months after they switched me to a SF driver again this year). LA guarantees are $10-20 less an hour, depending on time, so the difference is substantial and the markets are quite different in terms of #'s and lengths of trips.

My pay statements from early this year still show all trips in SF, yet calculations based on LA rates and requirements. How could I meet the LA hourly guarantee requirements for trips completed in SF?

I switched permanently to SF last year before they began paying me at LA rates and somehow the system went backwards this year. For awhile I was paid neither guarantee rate. I still have yet to fix those past months regarding guarantees, but that's a bigger feat than the commission rate. It's like having another job dealing with CSR just to get paid correctly on those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts