Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

The Great "My account was hacked"/"I was scammed" Topic

70K views 306 replies 81 participants last post by  ObeyTheNumbers 
#1 ·
Recieved a trip from UBER VIP and messaged that this is a US embassy official and need to verify your Uber account for security purpose, I never thought that it’s a scam and got my account hacked. Luckily I don’t have any money for cash out.
This is the first time in my 5year Uber driving, emailed and called the support still no updates.
Light Human body Sky Slope Font
Font Number Screenshot

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks like you have amen Scam-o-tep your login details.

Thankfully you didn’t lose any money but damn that sucks.

Hopefully you’ll get back into your account quickly.

For future reference uber gives no Fs and doesn’t care about safety for anyone, VIP or not.

If anyone ever calls you and asks for your password Hangup and drive to the pickup and start the trip. More then likely they won’t contest any trip you start because within the hour that account is going to be used to scam their way into someone’s account.

They have to keep making new accounts so over $5.00 they won’t contest it.

Reactions: Ben4given
#6 ·
Need to look closer at your stuff, this pickup name has a ‘ over the E, Uber never has had that anywhere, this should of been your first thing when checking before giving out details, all caps stands out too, as it’s always Uber and any real Uber accounts would make sure they are names right, just be glad they didn’t get your money and never ever give your password to anyone ever again

Sky Font Signage Darkness Photo caption

#7 ·
I got two of these to-night. Both of them had some goofy, non-existent address. I drove to the stick on the first one, waited the five, collected my cancel. No one attempted either to call or send me a text. Two minutes later, I declined a ping (too difficult to cover). Three minutes after that, I got the same ping. I went to the same goofy address, waited; the timer expired, I cancelled "Rider didn't show up". Not only did I not get the cancel fee, the cancellation is not showing up on my trip list. I have been monitoring my Uber account. As of this posting, all of the money is still there. At no time did anyone attempt to contact me.

#8 ·
Since you didn’t give out any information your account should be fine, surprised they didn’t call or text you to start the scam, probably a noob who was just testing stuff out. None of these scams work with out you giving information, they have no tools that hack your account and as long as you don’t give out your personal information and passwords then you’ll be safe from them

#12 ·
Make sure you contact Uber. I know it’s nearly impossible to get ahold of them, but I was scammed and lost over $400. Uber gave me the money back, even though they can’t recover it. I think is stupid that Uber doesn’t do anything to warn us of these ongoing scams. They send us messages nonstop about all kinds of garbage, but are completely silent on this.

#13 ·
Hey, Haricurichy, I too was hacked and had my drivers account stolen by someone in Cairo, Egypt. This past Sunday, 10/10/2021, I received a message WITHIN THE ÜBER APP instructing me to pick up an important Über customer service rep. I was also shown a map and pick up route within the app, and asked to verify my phone # “for security.” Then they texted a code # and told me to enter it into the Über app’s message area. I only realized it was a scam when they asked for my social security number, but by then it was too late, I couldn’t get into my driver account.
Font Screenshot Electronic device Number Event

Über was nice enough to send me emails letting me know that my password and payment info. had been updated, and acknowledging I’d started using a new device located in Cairo, Egypt. That is, even though I’ve been driving in Los Angeles, California for seven years.
Font Screenshot Number

I was able to get into driver app by going through my passenger app which had a different email address, and telling Über to make that my driver # as well. The only way I’ve been able to get any human Über help at all has been by calling the SAFETY phone number within the app. Since Monday morning I have called seven times and spoken to Über reps. who can only make reports which are sent into the abyss. Nobody has contacted me and I only receive nonsensical robot generated emails telling me to log into my now hacked drivers account and update my information. The poor human Über phone reps. can’t even see all the previous reports and information I’ve already given, and they aren’t empowered to connect me with anyone who can do anything.

So, now I guess I’ll try consulting with an attorney about taking legal action regarding wage theft of the $500 I earned over 17 hours of driving on Friday and Saturday — of course, never reaching the 30 rides needed for the weekend Quest bonus. Any recommendations?!

#298 ·
They don't need to do that.
They know that you are an aware and relatively intelligent adult that knows better than to give personal information to a stranger.

They were wrong?

#16 ·
My Uber account was taken by a hacker. The only way to get help is thru the app. This a brilliant scheme to avoid taking any action. I can't log into my account, so I can't get hold of the "support team". I got several emails stating
1) Your password has been changed,
2) your payment information was changed,
3) Your account was logged in from a new device in Egypt (I am a U.S. driver).

In each case, "Please contact your support team if this was not you", but of course there's no way I can do that.

I had an old phone number that got me to the "Safety Team" and at least reported it. Who know if they'll take any action, or when. I'm sure I lost my week's earnings.

#299 ·
But, I bet it's a lesson you never forget.
Don't give personal info to a stranger.

I'll give you a couple more:
Don't take candy from a stranger.
Don't get into a strangers van, even if he needs help looking for his lost puppy.

#22 · (Edited)
Did you get a phone call from someone purporting to be from Uber asking for information ?

Or was no contact ever made with you by anyone, and now your account is empty and locked out ?

Two entirely different scenarios.

Reason I ask, is that there is a well known scam here on the forums, and even Uber sent out a couple of emails and notifications to drivers about it 2 weeks ago.

Hit them up on Twitter, they hate that.

#23 ·
It was Uber vip request that I've never seen so I thought it was some kind of new feature. And the rider sent me the text like Uber request me to send him/her my name and phone number. so I did. And the Uber app messenger ask me to check my email to see special code to send the rider. so I got the email with the code from Uber and I sent it to the rider. and then.. I got locked out from my Uber driver and and I can't sign in with my passwords. And then I got email from Uber that said my payment information has been updated.. that I never authorized. So pissed.. how can Uber let the theft change my payment information without my authorization?. I must visit greenlight hub tomorrow morning.

#25 ·
the rider sent me the text like Uber request me to send him/her my name and phone number. so I did. And the Uber app messenger ask me to check my email to see special code to send the rider. so I got the email with the code from Uber and I sent it to the rider. and then.. I got locked out from my Uber driver and and I can't sign in
Hair Face Head Tie Dress shirt

#24 ·
You authorized it though.

This was the scam that I was talking about, and that Uber sent out notifications about, which we've been talking about for weeks. You're not going to get anything from Uber though, sorry to say. Too bad you didn't find this site sooner.

It's sucks, I know, my car broke down last week and cost me $900 plus a days lost earnings, so I worked for free basically for 5 days to recoup the hit.

Good luck.

#30 ·
Uber needs to address this issue, seems like at least once or twice a week that someone posts here they were scammed. Send out an awareness email or something, this is getting old. Also you shouldn’t be able to cash out right after changing bank accounts, have a 72 hour hold so when someone does this scam they can’t just cash out

#31 ·
There may have been a security breach at Uber.

I worked the cab Thiursday last and ran a few Uber Taxi jobs. Uber Taxi pays every day, usually with a twenty four hour delay. The exception is that anything that you run on Thursday or Friday does not show up until Monday.

On Friday, I received a notice of a "failed cash out" to my Uber Taxi e-Mail address. I checked the application, and the same notice was there. I did send an e-Mail to Rohit. He has not yet sent me a canned, off-topic "response". I checked my bank to-day and the money was deposited. This morning, I saw an e-Mail on my UberX e-mail address that notified me of another "failed cashout". Usually, my UberX funds are deposited on Tuesday. Girlfriend has a couple of doctor appointments to-day, so I can not necessarily deal with it. I will see what happens to-morrow.

I checked my accounts. The banking information is unchanged. I did change my passwords.

The thing to remark here is that I do not do cashout, Instapay or whatever it is. Further, how did this hacker know that I have an UberX and Uber Taxi account? There must be a breach somewhere at Uber.

#32 ·
Same thing happened to me this morning got the email that my cash out was returned because of my account profile and I didn't try to cash out try to contact Uber said I was number seven in line and then send me an email to respond by email instead of talking to a representative haven't heard anything yet

#34 ·
Come on !!!! Get the free GOBANK card from UBER and cash out every night for free . You can even cash multiple times a day up to 4 or 5 .
At least you know money is on a safe place. You can go to any CVS or Walgreens and get cash from ATM up to 400 a day , no fees. You can also use it to pay for all UBER related expenses and track it with the GOBANK app.
Rectangle Grey Gadget Font

#53 ·
Come on !!!! Get the free GOBANK card from UBER and cash out every night for free . You can even cash multiple times a day up to 4 or 5 .
At least you know money is on a safe place. You can go to any CVS or Walgreens and get cash from ATM up to 400 a day , no fees. You can also use it to pay for all UBER related expenses and track it with the GOBANK app. View attachment 622221
My response when Uber pitched me on this...

Product Organism Font Screenshot Darkness