Uber Drivers Forum banner

The Future of Uber and Lyft and the Self driving car.

695 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  goneubering 
#1 ·
I think we all believe that both companies want to get to Autonomous or self driving cars eventually. So a couple of things come to mind.
Will Uber and Lyft (providing they are still in business) own these cars, or "use" cars that belong to others as they do now.
If they decide to own, that could mean a big capital expense + maintenance, gas/power and all the expenses that come with ownership. If they do own the cars, would they then have to follow the "Taxi" rules?
If they use others, could we send our own self driving car out on their behalf and get paid the same cut throat rate we get now. Now one could have more than one car out on the road and make the "Big" bucks.

Just some thoughts of mine about how the investment that these companies are making in the self driving car space and how that would affect the rideshare business.

#6 ·
I see...and I concur..

Who else is gonna teach...

My kin to drive cars...?

Didn't they tell you we get the planet...

One day in the future...

When nobody can tell...

Truth from fiction....8>)

Wait...is it time....yet....???

Promise my UP friends and family...

Will get preferred rates. . 8>)

Rakos
Primate Motor vehicle Style Black-and-white Monochrome photography

#9 ·
At the moment yes. Wall Street will pressure Uber into profitability. SDC has to succeed quickly, or the program needs to be cut. Uber has to be able to make money taking 25-50% of each fare.
They're bleeding money at the moment partly due to their continued investments in SDCs. Another thing that needs to be factored into that is how many pax feel like I do about SDCs and would refuse to ride in one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.