Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://boingboing.net/2017/04/10/costs-are-costs.html

"Costs are costs, even if you're a monopoly" -- so the fact that Uber loses (a lot) of money on every single ride won't magically go away if the company manages to kill its competition by subsidizing riders with its investors' money. Uber will need to find better economics somehow, and right now, that seems to involve two sleazy and improbable tactics:

1. Tricking customers into carpools rather than solo rides, nudging them with dark patterns in Uber's UI that irrevocably commits riders to carpools if they absentmindedly tap the default button, rather than the increasingly obscured solo ride options; carpools make Uber a lot more money, but drivers and riders hate them.

2. Bullying legislatures into killing public transit, so that when Uber kills all the other taxi services and then turns its own service into a carpool-only, riders won't be able to opt out by switching back to riding the bus.

Meanwhile, Uber is continuing to squeeze its drivers for a bigger share of every ride, while drivers push back, forming unions and then running co-op/nonprofit dispatch services that fill the void when Uber storms out of town in a huff.

Eventually, Uber will run out of investor money to spend. It's hard to imagine how the company will manage any kind of "exit" that will repay the insane valuations it has used to raise all that money to subsidize our cheap rides -- even the mumble-mumble-something-self-driving-cars hand-waving won't protect it from upstarts that can also do self-driving fleet vehicles without the encumbrance of investors who expect a giant payout for the billions they've sunk into its schemes.

If the population's top political priority really was a cheap private car service rather than a new public transport infrastructure, political parties would be putting this issue at the top of their political manifestos. The fact they don't suggests society as a whole would never endorse policy which campaigned for cheap taxi services to be funded with lower worker living standards.

It's hardly surprising that consumers will endorse political calls for cheaper taxi services if a pre-drafted email to that effect lands in their inbox without a fair explanation of who funds those cheap services really.They'd call for cheaper medical services, education, housing, utilities, basically everything as well. The question is not whether they want cheaper taxi services, it's whether they would prioritise this need over all their other social and political needs as a whole.Hence why getting customers to dispatch thousands of pre-drafted emails to politicians isn't indicative of the power of democracy. It's indicative of an Uber-organised DDoS attack upon the state.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ubers is Pasta their prime in Italy.

What I don't get is with millions of rides a day how can Uber not make a profit?
The same reason driver complete 100's of trips then realize come taxes they make no money and quit. Rates are a joke!

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts

What I don't get is with millions of rides a day how can Uber not make a profit?
Travis is now personally worth over $6 billion dollars. Not Uber.... Travis. That's his estimated worth. A lot of the money they are losing is going right into his bank account. The rest is spent on crap like self driving cars and flying cars and teams of psychologists designing badges.

Uber could easily be one of the most profitable ventures in history. Travis has to go away.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Travis is now personally worth over $6 billion dollars. Not Uber.... Travis. That's his estimated worth. A lot of the money they are losing is going right into his bank account. The rest is spent on crap like self driving cars and flying cars and teams of psychologists designing badges.

Uber could easily be one of the most profitable ventures in history. Travis has to go away.
Uber is just an app. Like valuations are just valuations and mean nothing in real world. Investors are speaking out and possed. They won't be seeing a return and Travis valuation is WORTHless when you continue to run it into the ground.
Believe me, so many more companies will copy this app and are. Wining back customers. Many are leaving.
Uber still operates illegally in most places. Italy being one to put the nail in the coffin. Things are not going good for Uber as long as they continue to behave badly. That seems impossible as long as Trvis has a seat.
This company is doomed. I say take Uber as long as they have cash to burn. Like all things the flame will go out.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
They are trying to legalize them in Florida and it is a joke. They already cause chaos in Disney. Imagine them coming to airports with no clearances and causing commotion there or howabout a port. I swear someday an Uber is going to cause a major incident at one of these places

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Uber(with the help of Lyft) basically have a monopoly on the rideshare industry. Right now, they could be charging atleast 2 times what they are charging now and there would be no drop off whatsoever of ridership. They are currently at a minimum of about 3 times less than the cost of a cab, imho.

Instead of making money and profit off of this they'd rather piss away all that profit and instead keep pushing the ridiculous SDC nonsense of which they have clearly never done any real world studies to determine if people would really get in a SDC, even if they did ever get them on the street and they could actually work.

Travis is so hooked on trying to "revolutionize" the rideshare industry with this SDC idea that he arrogantly refuses to try to turn a profit. It's this arrogance that is screwing his company.

And that's really a great article up above with all the key points about Uber that need to be told.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That fact that Kalanick is such a lousy executive is the only reason I would pull him back to the curb if he was about to be hit by a bus.
I honestly am not sure he's the biggest problem. My impression is that Kalanick is teachable. There are two other senior board members, much less visible, who are equally likely to be the source of Uber's management headaches. We don't really know what kind of manager Kalanick is apart from them.

Imagine if Elon Musk was saddled with two silent partners who could overrule him on every Tesla/SpaceX initiative. You'd think Musk was incompetent as well. I don't want this to sound like I'm defending Kalanick only to consider there may be more going on behind the scenes than we're aware.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Right, but Elon Musk is not bat-$hit crazy!

Reactions: Adieu

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm no genius, but if they're losing money why not raise the rate which will still be lower than the cab rates???? I guess that would make too much business sence!!!!!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

Because they subsidize to keep low rates. The problem is that Travis thinks that by doing this, Uber will eventually run everyone else out of business and then jack up the rates to wherever he wants; he doesn't see things clearly, it will not happen before they run out of money.

No, most of what he is worth comes from the percentage that he owns from Uber, which is just a calculated value. If Uber disappears tomorrow he is not even worth a billion.

I'm no genius, but if they're losing money why not raise the rate which will still be lower than the cab rates???? I guess that would make too much business sence!!!!!
It is other people'so money.

He wants a monopoly so he is using the investor's money to try to eliminate all competitor. It will not happen.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Because they subsidize to keep low rates. The problem is that Travis thinks that by doing this, Uber will eventually run everyone else out of business and then jack up the rates to wherever he wants; he doesn't see things clearly, it will not happen before they run out of money.

n.
that's stupid because some other rideshare company will come in and take it's place, He needs to raise rates now, and go back to only taking 20%.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
that's stupid because some other rideshare company will come in and take it's place, He needs to raise rates now, and go back to only taking 20%.
Of course it is stupid.
They also don't need 20%, 5% could do fine. 20 and 25 is high but also necessary to help subsidize, they are taking money from drivers and then giving it back as an "insentive".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts