Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night yours truly was so locked in on wrapping up a "consequtive rides" and "quest" that I didn't realize a pax not only ensnared me in the dreaded return trip Walmart "stop and shop" BUT had done it x 2, with "stop and shops" in 1!? (I natively didn't know there was such a thing).

In fact, this only dawned on me when pax was in the car and on the phone call, droning on and on about it...

Pax: Yeah bruh, so like...I'm like....huh, literally IN the Uber NOW..I just got back to U of Arizona from break from seeing mom in LA so, huh.... yaaah...so I'm like literally just... doing my MEGA shopping trip now...oh yeah, first to Walmart , then huh to Target and...huh after that...then, well...I guess back to the dorm after...

Meaning, this guy expected me to drive .7 miles to Walmart, park and wait for him to do his extended "stop and shop", for God knows how long ...then repeat the same exercise at Target across from Walmart, piling groceries to the ceiling of my mid-size car, drive .7 miles back..it takes like 40-45 mins (end to end ) and I get paid like $7 or $8???

Fuber gets their cut either way (I dont value my time or effort), so they don't care...but I do!

Therefore, yours truly ended the first stop...scrolled through the next stop and return to the dorm, "completed" those rides and bounced.

Have any of you encountered "the double stop and shop"? Are there triple ones too???

·
Read Only
58 Posts
So last night yours truly was so locked in on wrapping up a "consequtive rides" and "quest" that I didn't realize a pax not only ensnared me in the dreaded return trip Walmart "stop and shop" BUT had done it x 2, with "stop and shops" in 1!? (I natively didn't know there was such a thing).

In fact, this only dawned on me when pax was in the car and on the phone call, droning on and on about it...

Pax: Yeah bruh, so like...I'm like....huh, literally IN the Uber NOW..I just got back to U of Arizona from break from seeing mom in LA so, huh.... yaaah...so I'm like literally just... doing my MEGA shopping trip now...oh yeah, first to Walmart , then huh to Target and...huh after that...then, well...I guess back to the dorm after...

Meaning, this guy expected me to drive .7 miles to Walmart, park and wait for him to do his extended "stop and shop", for God knows how long ...then repeat the same exercise at Target across from Walmart, piling groceries to the ceiling of my mid-size car, drive .7 miles back..it takes like 40-45 mins (end to end ) and I get paid like $7 or $8???

Fuber gets their cut either way (I dont value my time or effort), so they don't care...but I do!

Therefore, yours truly ended the first stop...scrolled through the next stop and return to the dorm, "completed" those rides and bounced.

Have any of you encountered "the double stop and shop"? Are there triple ones too???

omg...I FINALLY caught on and the pax didn't like it AT ALL that I was setting boundaries! And there was NOTHING they could do about it or complain to Uber. Arrive, pick up pax "Hi, blah blah, pls confirm your destination. Oh, it's 2. Ok. Just so there's no disappointment, I just want you to know that 2 stops is for picking up or dropping off a 2nd person, so if we're doing anything else, I'm only ABLE TO WAIT 2 MINUTES." bwahahaha...FTHEM! Had 1 woman tell me to stop right there and let her out (1 block from home, in the dark am, on the way to work.) They threatened to report me, they said every other driver waited, etc. I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHER DRIVERS DO. THEY ARE NEW AND DON'T KNOW BETTER.

Nope, I'm not waiting while you buy booze.
Nope, I'm not waiting while you buy cigs
Nope, I'm not waiting while you buy coffee.
NOPE, I'M NOT WAITING AT ALL FOR ANYTHING UNLESS YOU LAY AT LEAST $5 IN MY HAND BEFORE YOU GO IN THE STORE.
The honest pax will almost immediately say "Would you wait for $xx tip?" They KNOW it's outside of the norm. Dude, quit making it harder for the rest of us1

DO NOT WAIT. NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY. NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY HOLLER. NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY THREATEN TO CALL UBER/LYFT. DO...NOT...WAIT. Unless they put cash in your hand first. In Philly (rarely when I drove for 2 yrs in DC), I made SO MUCH MONEY FOR WAITING it was unbelievable.

"Wow, you got here really fast. I still HAVE TO CLOSE UP THE BAR, DO YOU MIND WAITING???"..."Oh, no problem, you still have 3 mins left on the app" (I was just as psycho as they were, super passive aggressive. lol)...Pax understands I mean business. "Will you wait for $20?" I look at him standing by my car, smile broadly, AND PUT OUT MY HAND. A $20 goes in my palm, I say "Take your time, sweetie. You have 15 mins now." I DID THIS SOOOOOOOO many times. Try it.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts

🤣👍🏿🤑👌🏿 I love it!

·
Premium Member
9,810 Posts

I think they can only do two stops. I try to remember to check if there are stops when I get the png. If there are and I'm on a consecutive ride streak I'll simply cancel as unsafe to pick up (one of those won't break the streak). Otherwise I see stops, don't say a thing and when we get to the first stop if it's shopping or any other nonsense, I tell them I can only wait 3 minutes. When they ask me why, I simply explain that it's because I lose money when I sit, I only get 11 cents a minute which is half minimum wage after I pay for my car expenses. That's there chance to offer me some money, I'll never ask for it. Dash cam is rolling and when they get indigent I say I'm sorry they feel that way, I'm ending the ride, have a nice day and by the way, the ride has been recorded. I know I'm going to get a 1 star and will get them first, rate 1 star and report abusive behavior before they can. I have 4 1 stars right now and I'm good with that

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts

I had a guy with like four stops. Pulled up and canceled.

Grocery store stops are an automatic end at first stop. Drive thru, I tell them cash tip or no thank you. Convenience stores I ask them to be mindful of my time.

What I’ve noticed has happened recently are the ghost add a stop at bar close where drunk friends try to save money by hijacking one ride for 2-3 stops. They say that they are close to each other, but they end up running you in different directions. I tell them they can get out and order another ride or pay me cash to get to the next location.

I get the, you’re a d*ck taunt every now and then, but I’m 6’ 3” 230lbs, so I just laugh at them and tell them to get out.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tell them I can only wait 3 minutes
Does Fuber or Gyft say stops are limited to 3 min wait times? I once called Rohit to inquire and was informed that I "should" wait 10+ mins...which I personally DONT...I only do 2-3 mins, then "end" all the stops and roll. Just curious

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I had a guy with like four stops. Pulled up and canceled.

Grocery store stops are an automatic end at first stop. Drive thru, I tell them cash tip or no thank you. Convenience stores I ask them to be mindful of my time.

What I’ve noticed has happened recently are the ghost add a stop at bar close where drunk friends try to save money by hijacking one ride for 2-3 stops. They say that they are close to each other, but they end up running you in different directions. I tell them they can get out and order another ride or pay me cash to get to the next location.

I get the, you’re a d*ck taunt every now and then, but I’m 6’ 3” 230lbs, so I just laugh at them and tell them to get out.
What’s the problem if the stops are just one of the passengers exiting the car?

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just want you to know that 2 stops is for picking up or dropping off a 2nd person,
This is true? Does either FUber or Gryft say this anywhere? that "stop and shops" are "not allowed"??? I once called Rohit to ask, and was told that "stops and shops" are very much "ok", and that in fact I "should" wait 10+ mins on them. Personally, I'm not in any economic position to take that kinda financial haircut (ie, money lost while waiting on a pax to go their weekly or monthly grocery run) for "The Community" (AKA, U/L's illustrious and much-esteemed ridership), so Ill do 2-3 mins then "complete" all the rides and roll out. Of course, I do this knowing I'll get a one star, and at times written complain (driver left me, blah blah) combined with a bogus complaint (DUI, speeding, racial issues, etc), but I'll take this over losing money on these extended waits!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What’s the problem if the stops are just one of the passengers exiting the car?
I have no problem with this...the more pax exiting my car the better!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ALWAYS text or call first when I see stops. Had one last night; "The first stop is an ATM and the second is Taco Bell, then back here. But why do you ask? You're an Uber!"

That was a very satisfying cancel indeed!
OMG...I once GOT stuck with one these return tip 2 stop rides (I think it was .5 mile ATM, across the street to Jack-In-Box drive thru, then .5 mile back home), it was like 30 mins for $5...never again....are there really ants out there who entertain this garbage? If not...then I think pax would give up on it...just walk the 3 blocks to the ATM, fast food place, then back home...asking someone to do these rides makes no financial sense, just none-sensitical...

·
Registered
89 Posts

Uber allows and advertise stop and shop. The pax was only doing what the company told him the service was. What you did was underhanded, against the TOS and quite frankly fraudulent.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
89 Posts
I drive a compact car....and waited 3 mins....who is "in the wrong"?
He was being cheap ordering X instead of XL but still using the services as advertised. You should have just canceled if you don't want the ride but by finishing the trip without him you committed fraud and thievery.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He was being cheap ordering X instead of XL but still using the services as advertised. You should have just canceled if you don't want the ride but by finishing the trip without him you committed fraud and thievery.
Ok got it, thou shall not finish rides in such a manner.. how long should our XL drivers friends wait on the "stop and shop"?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts