Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trash. Odors. Bodily fluids. Will autonomous rideshares be ready for our mess?

From the article
"I'm not surprised that companies like Uber don't have a robust plan to deal with cleanliness. The company seems to exemplify the kind of biased worldview that I call technochauvinism. Technochauvinists tend to prioritize technical issues solved by engineering and math, while overlooking the human factors that shape how platforms or systems can and are used in practice. This results in strategies like pouring millions into developing apps that edge out the competition and computers that get its driverless cars onto the road fast over making sure that, for example, women passengers don't get harassed or assaulted, or that people like me don't get physically ill from riding in its cars. However, if you are trying to design a fully autonomous system that involves 2-ton potential killing machines-which is what robot cars are-the stakes are high. Human factors matter a great deal, and not just because humans are the other drivers on the road.

Fortunately, I can also attest that there is one surefire cure that works every time I get motion-sick as a passenger in a car. Instead of riding, I drive."

https://slate.com/technology/2018/05/who-will-clean-self-driving-cars.html

Reactions: uberdriverfornow

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
People will be using them as a mobile trash can and toilet. Prostitutes and their johns will use them as a hotel room on wheels, or even regular couples who feel like getting their freak on. Drug addicts will leave behind their needles and crack pipes. I'm afraid to get into an Uber with a human driving it, so there's no way I'm getting into one of these germ and virus infested driverless toilets.

Computer and techno geeks live in a fantasy world with little clue about the real world.
Funniest thing is how, when trolls were blooming diarrhea on this forum about many ways to clean, maintain and charge self driving cars, throwing "a video" showing how easy it would be, they never had a corporate confirmation to prove their delusions were aligned with companies future plans. Most nerdy lunatics protected their denial with youtube videos about robots cleaning other robots, futuristic charging stations, airless tires or mobile dormitories, ignoring the only detail we kept asking them about - who is going to pay for it?

Well, when the journalists start stressing the companies about these significant details.... "As it turns out, Uber's haptic feedback technology might not become reality. Nix explained that the patent is a reflection of the kinds of things the Uber team is thinking about, but that, "It's important to remember there is such a thing as overengineering a solution to a problem like motion sickness," she said. "Nothing beats windows." Staring outside may be the best remedy for passengers, and choosing when you need to open a window may be better than relying on a hyperdesigned haptic feedback system giving you bursts of air."

How can you possibly want to build a TNC empire and not step into a movie theater at the end of any movie, to acknowledge what people are doing when left unsupervised in the dark, with food and drinks in their lap? The article clearly states "But even less thought seems to have been put into cleaning. When I asked Nix what would happen if someone made a call on a porcelain telephone in a self-driving car, she declined to answer. I asked if she and her team talk about it at the office. She again declined to answer. What will any kind of self-driving car garbage cleanup look like in reality? "We are still envisioning what it might look like," said Nix.
Sarah Abboud, an Uber spokesperson, said that the company doesn't have a plan for dealing with the aftermath of people getting sick or making other serious messes in self-driving cars"

Trash and bodily fluids is the exact reason every single car needs to be checked after EVERY single ride, which makes the fleet management a logistics nightmare, because you need cleaning stations all over the place to overcome the waste of downtime and lack of range a possible electric vehicle could have. People will cover the cameras and if that tape or bubblegum is not immediately removed for the next ride to take place and the possible trash is not reported, any additional garbage will make identifying who was responsible for that filth simply impossible.

Who thinks otherwise or needs help to understand how reality looks like, please check this out - San Francisco Is Fighting the Scooter Trend With Poop and Vandalism

·
Premium Member
5,131 Posts

From the article
"I'm not surprised that companies like Uber don't have a robust plan to deal with cleanliness. The company seems to exemplify the kind of biased worldview that I call technochauvinism. Technochauvinists tend to prioritize technical issues solved by engineering and math, while overlooking the human factors that shape how platforms or systems can and are used in practice. This results in strategies like pouring millions into developing apps that edge out the competition and computers that get its driverless cars onto the road fast over making sure that, for example, women passengers don't get harassed or assaulted, or that people like me don't get physically ill from riding in its cars. However, if you are trying to design a fully autonomous system that involves 2-ton potential killing machines-which is what robot cars are-the stakes are high. Human factors matter a great deal, and not just because humans are the other drivers on the road.

Fortunately, I can also attest that there is one surefire cure that works every time I get motion-sick as a passenger in a car. Instead of riding, I drive."

I said the same thing and they called me crazy. Now slate magazine says it. Are they crazy too?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
People will cover the cameras and if that tape or bubblegum is not immediately removed for the next ride to take place and the possible trash is not reported, any additional garbage will make identifying who was responsible for that filth simply impossible.
I doubt cameras would even be feasible. The cost of wirelessly transmitting live video from a moving vehicle is prohibitive. On top of that you have to hire people to monitor the cameras. There's no point in getting rid of the human driver when you have to hire monitors who are making roughly the same wage as the driver was. But of course the techno geeks never think of such things because they are in fantasy land.

·
Premium Member
5,131 Posts
I doubt cameras would even be feasible. The cost of wirelessly transmitting live video from a moving vehicle is prohibitive. On top of that you have to hire people to monitor the cameras. There's no point in getting rid of the human driver when you have to hire monitors who are making roughly the same wage as the driver was. But of course the techno geeks never think of such things because they are in fantasy land.
Again, I said this too.

They called me crazy

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts

From the article

I had never heard of technochauvinism but it's a good description.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts