Uber Drivers Forum banner

The Corona March thread (Cuz Feb is over fools)

3K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  Ballard_Driver 
#1 ·
Water Cloud Sky Bottle Liquid

Last week was exceptionally Meh for me and it got worse as the week went on. I decided to take a couple of weeks off from RS as I have lots of other things to do in the meantime.

Talking with some of my homies, its a real mixed bag out there. Today sounds like it was a washout with 0 reports of success.

What say Yee oh great pontificators of Phuffery?

Did you die from a few beers?

See less See more
#7 ·
Monday, in four hours, I had 4 rides and grossed $32.😳

Tuesday, in 6 hours, I had 14 rides and grossed just under $200.🤣

Almost every passenger asked me how it was going and was working from home. I think I emphasized the plight of a Seattle rideshare driver right now and that resulted in some generous tips.

I guess I’ll take my sob-story on the road again tomorrow and see how it goes.

#8 ·
Went out to drive today. Really slow out there, and more importantly most of the organized good rides are indeed missing. This is leaving rides of locals to and from stores and shhit as a majority of rides I am seeing. Still lots of ants and dramatically fewer rides available.

Seems like things are going to be pretty tough for the next month.

I have decided to shelve RS for the next three weeks so y'all can have my good rides if you can find them.

#18 ·
Well this was officially my longest ride ever and best paid ride ever before tip...

It was a deck hand on a research vessel. I almost got a ride back to SeaTac with her shipmates that were leaving the boat for shore leave. Unfortunately Carla (transportation coordinator) had already booked them on a shuttle. My PAX even called Carla to ask her to cancel but it non-refundable. *SHRUG*

Side question I know we get reimbursed (sometimes) for tolls but what about ferrys? Originally Uber routed me on the ferry route (or they thought my car was amphibious).
2020-03-13 13.47.32.png
2020-03-13 16.10.47.png

#19 ·
Well this was officially my longest ride ever and best paid ride ever before tip...

It was a deck hand on a research vessel. I almost got a ride back to SeaTac with her shipmates that were leaving the boat for shore leave. Unfortunately Carla (transportation coordinator) had already booked them on a shuttle. My PAX even called Carla to ask her to cancel but it non-refundable. *SHRUG*

Side question I know we get reimbursed (sometimes) for tolls but what about ferrys? Originally Uber routed me on the ferry route (or they thought my car was amphibious).
View attachment 430062 View attachment 430063
That is not a great fare, Even if you could pick up there ( which you can't) the chances of a return fare are slim. I know times are tough right now and a $187 fare is a solid fare, you spent ? 5 hours?? And 242 miles is .77 per mile OR more palatable 37 $ per hour.

You could have and should have asked for 60 mile + fee for a return fee. 1.11 X 63 is $69.93.

I would charge $75 extra for that trip.

BUT Congratulations probably made your day.

#24 ·
Yep. Me too. I just dont think its worth the risk on all fronts. I've managed to save a little over the last few months. Learning a new skill while I'm not though.
Don't have a choice. Bills gotta be paid and mouths gotta be fed.
I hear you, brother.

Let's hope part of this stimulus to come is some sort of goverment assistance in the form of a check. It looks like it'll be necessary.

#30 ·
It's very shakey. Ok one moment and terrible the next. Saturation is one if the larger problems. I can make some ok money doing some hustles as long as there aren't a million cars out. But then I see them all pop up on the map and earnings drop way below minimum wage. Huge portions of the region have zero business and so there are not nearly as many options to relocate to avoid saturation. The addition of college students and work from homers has not helped. Ican see a ton of part timers out, mirroring patterns of holidays weeks/long weekends without the usual demand. Airport is dead, and what ap there is, typically is people jumping ship... nobody is coming here. That will get more and more rare till nobody is flying at all. The more businesses lay off or go under, the less money going around in the economy.... this is not looking rosy economically. Every small business owner that I'm friends with is very afraid of going bust from this. I went out last night for some pho, and my family were the only ones there until they closed. Food was excellent as always, the place was pristine and clean, but nobody was there. The workers looked very nervous.
I picked up two guys from belltown last night they just got laid off. The restaurant were they worked was keeping only a handful of employees and were shutting down 12 locations across the state. They were talking about how long the moneys from their PTO would last, one of them said he was moving back with his parents as he could not make the rent. Yes economically this is looking pretty gloomy and it will get worse in the coming days as people start running out of money and food.

#35 ·

SEATTLE - Gov. Jay Inslee announced he will shut down restaurants, bars and entertainment and recreational facilities statewide due to the coronavirus. He will expand the protection to limit the size of large gatherings to just 50 people.

On Sunday, Inslee released a statement to further expand protections against COVID-19. Read the statement below:

"Given the explosion of COVID-19 in our state and globally, I will sign a statewide emergency proclamation tomorrow to temporarily shut down restaurants, bars and entertainment and recreational facilities.

Restaurants will be allowed to provide take-out and delivery services but no in-person dining will be permitted.

"The ban will not apply to grocery stores and pharmacies. Other retail outlets will have reduced occupancy.

"Additionally, all gatherings with over 50 participants are prohibited and all gatherings under 50 participants are prohibited unless previously announced criteria for public health and social distancing are met.

"These are very difficult decisions, but hours count here and very strong measures are necessary to slow the spread of the virus. I know there will be significant economic impacts to all our communities and we are looking at steps to help address those challenges.

"Tonight, after consultations with me and with the Department of Health, King County announced that they will be taking these actions immediately. King County has been the hotbed of this outbreak and has the largest population center in the state. I have spoken to Executive Dow Constantine and I applaud their decision to act quickly. We will do a joint media announcement with more details tomorrow morning."

#40 ·
Hope you’re all safe, as are your family and friends. That’s awful to hear about the doctor in ICU.

While my state has a low amount of cases, our schools are closed for a month, along with libraries, museums, the zoo, most churches, 2 popular breweries coffee shops, one theatre closed and etc.

I saw on my local news the state of IL is also closing their bars and restaurants tomorrow, and will only offer food delivery or curbside pickups. Last I checked, Chicago had 66 cases. While we don’t have the high population they do, we’re half their number. Still nothing compared to you guys. But I anticipate our bars and restaurants soon doing the same thing, some are limiting capacity already.

#41 ·
Hope you're all safe, as are your family and friends. That's awful to hear about the doctor in ICU.

While my state has a low amount of cases, our schools are closed for a month, along with libraries, museums, the zoo, most churches, 2 popular breweries coffee shops, one theatre closed and etc.

The state of IL is also closing their bars and restaurants tomorrow, and will only Ofer food delivery or curbside pickups. Last I checked, Chicago had 66 cases. While we don't have the high population they do, we're have half their number. Still nothing compared to you guys. But I anticipate our bars and restaurants soon doing the same thing, some are limiting capacity already.
Hopefully you flatten the bell curve sooner than we did. We were ground zero and it took us 3- 4 weeks to get here. I imagine that this time tomorrow our numbers will have doubled again. Hopefully not the deaths.

#45 · (Edited)
Today = Terrible with a capital T. You are better off either basking in the sun or licking the soiled linens at the Life Care Center, depending on your financial level of need. Either way, put yourself out of your misery and don't bother driving.

25 of 42 I believe but they are coming from other places now
still a majority of the fatalities. Over 30. It's coming out that the staff were infected and gave it to the patients, cause they were still working, putting their high risk patients in danger. you take that place out of the equation the mortality has been extremely low compared with confirmed cases. Still all either elderly or very sick high risk people. 11k negative tests (they have to have a doctor recommended they get the test to get it.) with about 1k positive. The paranoia right now in society is not a good thing. It's destroying the economy, making it harder for health professionals to be safe in situations that they need it, putting high risk people in danger, and even possibly spreading disease even further.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.