Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Uber emailed all Reno and Sacramento Drivers 50/hr Guarantees fri-mon this weekend. 15 hours per day... ChaChing! 750 bucks a day!!! I better get my ass up there!

Wrong, you will not ever hit the trip be hour requirement with 50+ cars to compete with unless you get extremely lucky. So you will instead make only non-surge rate on the handful of trips you take. But none of these idiots realize that. Normally there demand would outstrip supply, and huge surges would result, so you could log in for a few hours and make bank during the surges. Instead, no request will go unanswered, no rider will complain about surge prices and no driver will make the guarantee. Plus, I am positive that Uber can, and has never made any promise that they don't manipulate trip pings to avoid paying the Guarantees.

I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow prioritize drivers that didn't sign up for, or clearly wont reach the requirements. stupidly I clicked the link, shouldn't have... Probably would get more trips. Why else would the need to know in advance who is targeting the guarantees. I'm tempted to ping the crap out of myslef and drop my acceptance rate below the threshold!!!

I could have made a couple grand this weekend, but now that there are 10+ times the normal number of drivers it's only worth driving the absolute peaks and hoping for surge rates. The rest of the time would be a waste of time.

But good on ya Uber, customers are gonna love it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I crashed and burned on the Nevada side yesterday, 3.5 hours down the drain for 1 ride and 1 cxl. At least Reno actually surged well last night. Guess everyone was right about guarantees being a scam...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Online 8 hours and change yesterday, 4 completed trips. 11 on Lyft... Uber sucks. If you are wondering if you should join the fray, I'd stay away. Saturation is the name of the game.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow prioritize drivers that didn't sign up for, or clearly wont reach the requirements
Around here they make signing up a condition to qualify for the guarantee. I always sign up and then don't drive just to F with them.
Plus, I am positive that Uber can, and has never made any promise that they don't manipulate trip pings to avoid paying the Guarantees.
I'm sure they do this. It's all about the rider experience (no waits or surges) and about finding a way not to pay their drivers. The guarantees are the biggest Uber scam of all.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I actually made the guarantee's on Sat and Sun. About 10 hours each day. Friday I got screwed out of them with 7 rides in about 13 hours. It still surged up there at least 4.9 that I saw, I heard it went over 7. The biggest problem I saw up there was either cell service or with the app. My friend and I both had trouble getting online quite often and the pax locations were off quite often. The other problem with up there is every time you cross the Nevada border and drop off, you get put offline and don't get payed for time to get back to Ca to get another trip. You also have to pay attention that you go back online after crossing back over the boarder or you will sit there offline wondering why you aren't getting a trip since it logged you out without you knowing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So yeah, I went. I gag a great time and I'll do it again but ignore the guarantees and just keep busy next time.
1) I should have reviewed this thread first, I had to figure out on my own why I couldn't rcv requests when I was over the NV line, and lost time that way too ALTHOUGH - i had another driver tell me you are knocked offline when out of state and I found that untrue - i believe my minutes weren't counted there but at least once I rcvda new request as soon as I crossed into Cali, I hadn't yet logged out /in to reset. I actually stayed plenty busy while in the right zones, my biggest problem was how much of my time went uncounted.
2) The biggest reason I intend to ignore the incentives is about (I assume) the servers. Yes, some places I didn't have a data signal, and that was inconvenient when I needed to begin or end a trip but it mostly worked out. I never hung out in places like that waiting for rides tho, and I found that even with my 4G and bars showing, and everything about the app appearing normal, I too would find myself missing in the pax app, and overall I think about 7 hours I should have counted as online weren't counted in my wknd.
3) I too suspected it might be too slow to meet the guarantees, but here's my experience: Saturday, I didn't know yet about NV and lost some time there, altogether I barely made the ten rides I needed but I know now I must have waited in "invisible" dead spots - I'll stay in the busy places next time. I got paid the bonus for this day but my est says it's about two hours less than I was actually online. Sunday, it was less busy but I got plenty business, 15 rides in about 12 hours. Except. Uber pulls that bs that I missed some request I never did, no Sunday bonus. Fine, there was still lots of business I could have been doing instead. Monday. Monday I was especially careful about waiting anywhere more than a few mins and it was the only day i stayed busy all day, including a round trip to Homewood, one hour each way. Monday it won't matter about the guarantee, unless they correct the two hours missing from their total, I beat the guarantee anyway.
Did I make twice as much as I would have at home? Yes. But also I had a blast, everything non app/pay related was awesome (easy happy pax, beautiful simple driving town), and should have made maybe twice what I did, at least for Sat/Sun. So next year, I intend to.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I found that when I parked outside a bar trying to get more pings, I would see drivers blocks or even miles away get the calls. Yes, Uber can manipulate who gets pings and can make you fail to make the guarantee.

·
Registered
53 Posts
$40/hr guarantee has worked out well for me last weekend and this weekend ......go wait close to where riders normally come from you will hit your trip minimums

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I didn't get the email about the Tahoe guarantee over the 4th weekend. Heard about it from a lot of fellow Reno drivers. I think quite a few tried to take advantage of it because Reno was blowing up on the 4th while I guess they were in Tahoe! Scored a few rides at 4-5x surge. Pretty sweet! Hadn't had many surge rides before that. Best was a 2 mile ride from Keystone and Kings Row to Circus Circus for $22.00. Man, surges are freakin awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts