Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Anti-Uber Trolls on this site are a real pain in the arse. I have a theory that some of them just want to discourage competition, or are paid shills.

Is Uber a perfect job? No. Does Uber net you $60k after taxes and expenses? Typically not.

If you don't drive Uber in a s*it town full of poor people, thats spaced out with nothing to do, Uber can be a decent hustle.

Cost of living may be high in these cities, but Uber can be a stepping stone, or give you enough money and flexibility to be able and afford to go on a date here and there, support yourself while pursuing creative or Entrepreneurial endeavors.

What do people really expect from a gig with such low barriers to entry. It's disruptive tech, of course drivers are going to make less on average, when you add more drivers to a market. Sure being an independent contractor can be a highly competitive grind and war of attrition.

Bottom line is that we aren't in a great economy for the working class. Having the opportunity to offer a service with a demand, is just that: an opportunity. And UberXing in NYC or SF is not the same as Timbuktu.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
You gotta point. But I'll keep up the attack.

It's a great concept, but Uber is a horrible company. Thankfully, though, they've paved the way for better companies to follow.

In the meantime, I agree with you, game these bastards for all you can. All's fair.

Personally, I ditched Uber, but I do benefit from keeping track of their nefarious doings. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yes to his right. I couldn't agree any less. However game them based on the rules. If you can cancel 5 tips to get a good one if that's your choice then.

It's an awesome concept. Unfortunately it's a concept the government doesn't feel we can do properly without their guidance like raising children.

Unfortunately the greedy bastards running Uber app are sick. I will never change my opinion of those people.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You doing with the person who really enjoys science forensic science.

What they do to get their money and privilege is done in the same way they do just to survive. Yet they got 50 billion dollars. But they also have a family to feed.

Who's to say they're wrong or sick or stupid or just plain ignorant.

I don't have issues with the rates and fares. It's how they care about the people. They didn't care enough to have trained drivers and they fought against having trained skilled and licensed drivers.

Weather following the advice of the mayor or just plain greedy and I want the money now. Do not order food from Uber.

I will be one of the few people who is deactivated due to inactivity rather than waiting or other policies which reflect negative work habits

I am still active as I took a trip to life June 7th so I'm good for 2 weeks and will not take a trip to stay active unless their lawyer says it's okay. I'm more into it for having that option to drive in the money. One trip to the airport every morning 5 days a week would be fine with me

But I intend not to drive uber anymore unless it is absolutely necessary for my survival.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Public opinion says we should know better than to do those things more out of Common Sense than the law

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Somehow I don't share the view that we should all enthusiastically embrace the future benefits of the gig economy.

YIPPEE, we're going to have 60% of the population unemployed or underemployed because the technologists have created ways to eliminate labor.

Sounds like a recipe for anarchy.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Many of us "trolls" are simply trying to warn people about how little they will actually make before they get into more financial trouble than they are already.

In most cases, people are better off spending their time trying to find real employment, however menial, rather than ignoring the math and confusing the initial cash flow with real profit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One thing I've noticed about pro Uber posts is that most seem to be made by people who only identity as "member" or "new member" from location only. It's almost like we have pax singing Uber praises. The negative comments seem to be from people who also identify Uber driver category - X, XL, Black, etc. How many jobs require a worker to supply and maintain at their own expense $10-25K worth of equipment for minimum wage or less?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Looking at the general sentinent regarding uber on this site one could generally come to 2 conclusions. The first is that there is a large majority of anti-uber trolls; ok possibly. Or two, what seasoned drivers on here are writing about is "their truth" gleaned from experience, time in the seat, and trying remain profitable through Uber's numerous business model changes. I belong and believe in the second. I'm a generally positive person, but not concerning uber X. It's a losing deal and becomes much more so the longer you drive thus the bad sentiment. I don't blame anyone for giving uber a try, but not taking and seriously considering the seasoned advise from such a large group of experienced people is doing a discredit to yourself...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking at the general sentinent regarding uber on this site one could generally come to 2 conclusions. The first is that there is a large majority of anti-uber trolls; ok possibly. Or two, what seasoned drivers on here are writing about is "their truth" gleaned from experience, time in the seat, and trying remain profitable through Uber's numerous business model changes. I belong and believe in the second. I'm a generally positive person, by not concerning uber X. It's a losing deal and becomes much more so the longer you drive thus the bad sentiment. I don't blame anyone for giving uber a try, but not taking and seriously considering the seasoned advise from such a large group of experienced people is doing a discredit to yourself...
To me it seems like Uber is a just an okay job in NYC or SF, perhaps L.A., but in other areas it's downright terrible. The economy sucks right now. Some people look forward to working slave hours to net $500-$750 weekly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Excellent point! Stories of Uber as a FT job paying a livable wage are grossly exaggerated in my experience. I think part of the Uber payment is the driver/human experience and the dopamine rush. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I actually think Uber is afraid of its drivers.
There's a sucker born every minute. Even if the normal people quit uber there's always the criminals and mentals to recruit. We are already seeing such people driving uber for the simple fact they can't do anything else.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
How many jobs require a worker to supply and maintain at their own expense $10-25K worth of equipment for minimum wage or less?
Only one, and that job is parenthood. However the emotional reward is priceless to see your son graduate kindergarten, your daughter dressed for prom, your teenager make the winning basket. With Uber, the greatest reward is when you delete the driver's app.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Only one, and that job is parenthood. However the emotional reward is priceless to see your son graduate kindergarten, your daughter dressed for prom, your teenager make the winning basket. With Uber, the greatest reward is when you delete the driver's app.
These are better than money ;).

On another note, I keep reinstalling the app. I'm sick in the head, need help.:eek:

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
These are better than money ;).

On another note, I keep reinstalling the app. I'm sick in the head, need help.:eek:
Remember your 1st and most important step.

1) admit that I am powerless over Uber and came to believe that a power greater then myself can restore me to sanity.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts