Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
******s for killing the surge. It was at 2.1x at 150 and rather than wait 10 mins for it to go 3.0x or more you took all the rides and now there's no surge.

Idiots I swear

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take it when you can get it.

Here's some advice from a Rider... WE wait for the surge to drop. If you wait for the surge to increase, you may lose it altogether.
cat and mouse. in a market like this, the PAX will always win.
No surge pricing means bigger tip...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it when you can get it.

Here's some advice from a Rider... WE wait for the surge to drop. If you wait for the surge to increase, you may lose it altogether.
cat and mouse. in a market like this, the PAX will always win.
No surge pricing means bigger tip...
If I had a tip for every rider that said they would tip me, I could retire at 24

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I think you're wasting your time trying to "time it".
Sounds like the Prisoners' Dilema (Google it if you don't know the reference). Wait for the surge to go up and risk losing out entirely or take the ride and see the surge go up after you accept.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sounds like the Prisoners' Dilema (Google it if you don't know the reference). Wait for the surge to go up and risk losing out entirely or take the ride and see the surge go up after you accept.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep. Take the fare at the surge whenever you can get it. We HATE paying surge. I'd rather pay 75% of taxi fares and be able to tip on the app, then 50% or less (about what it currently is) and have to tip cash, which I don't always have. It's easier to expense a cab as well on business travel. Tip is already on there or can be written. Most cabs give out blank receipts.

An idea: Hand your customers a blank "taxi" receipt. If they are using Uber on their personal credit card, you may get more tips that way...Of course, they may also stiff you and still collect that tip... it happens. I bet you come out ahead. Add the receipts to your little bin with the gum and mints...

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Yep. Take the fare at the surge whenever you can get it. We HATE paying surge. I'd rather pay 75% of taxi fares and be able to tip on the app, then 50% or less (about what it currently is) and have to tip cash, which I don't always have. It's easier to expense a cab as well on business travel. Tip is already on there or can be written. Most cabs give out blank receipts.

An idea: Hand your customers a blank "taxi" receipt. If they are using Uber on their personal credit card, you may get more tips that way...Of course, they may also stiff you and still collect that tip... it happens. I bet you come out ahead. Add the receipts to your little bin with the gum and mints...
Actually the difference in Uber/Taxi is about 33% assuming no surge. Uber and Lyft charge you for the minutes your ride takes in addition to the miles.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I don't take uber as a rider, but from what I read on Yelp and Twitter, surge pricing is the number one complaint riders have.

I'd love to be able to double or triple the fare when it's busy, but people wouldn't stand for it. That's why it's set in law that my meter is approved and tested by a government agency and the driver can't tamper with it.

Reactions: Sacto Burbs
1 - 13 of 13 Posts