Uber Drivers Forum banner

Thank-You For Your Essential Service!

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  RideshareDog 
#1 ·
As many of us are still out there, part time or full time, I have considered taking pax into my vehicles and have ruled against it. In lieu, a few years ago I set myself up with Eats and today I am very thankful. With many Canadians deciding to heed to the warnings of the world to "stay home" and "self isolate," Ontario Premier Doug Ford, last week in a press conference, stated "I would like to thank those that deliver food" also highlighting that the food chain includes those with Eats, Skip, Foodora, DoorDash...and the list goes on.

I listen to CFRB1010 Newstalk radio in my time in car... There have been many references to the transmission of the pandemic being people to people. The concept of having everyone out for essential travel (groceries/medicine/appointments) watch their "distance" at 3m (6.5ft) and washing/sanitizing your hands often. Choosing to deliver food WE need to be diligent and make sure we do EVERYTHING we can to keep ourselves out of harms way.

The use of a mask protects others from us but has been proven that it need to be worn properly. From my observation, wearing a mask and not covering both your mouth AND your nose is deeming the mask ineffective. Its sort of like wearing a rain jacket in the rain but not zipping up the front. I will, on occasion be asked why I don't wear a mask... the person asking usually has the mask around their neck.

My point of this post, if you are still with me is THANK YOU for your essential service. Stay safe and maintain your social distance, wash your hands LOTS and when you are in your down time self isolate.

Here is some reading to reference the "low risk" involved with food delivery.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...during-the-new-coronavirus-pandemic-1.4861597

https://globalnews.ca/news/6683446/coronavirus-food-delivery/

https://www.uab.edu/news/youcanuse/...ing-covid-19-outbreak-cdc-uab-experts-say-yes

Keep safe my friends.

~Doug
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know why, but I get annoyed by people who are saying they are doing good will to the community by doing Uber/delivering.

It's all about $$$. They just need to make $$$, that's why they're doing it. All the good will is BS. If they actually have no problems with $$$, and want to actually help the community, they can help elders with groceries / transportation (outside of any apps). Now that is good will...

#3 ·
Romrss.... no need to be annoyed by people. We all have our own motivations. Know that in your mind you are doing the community a good service. A service that today, is being highlighted by our Government. Recall Premier Doug Ford personally thanked food delivery services last week in one of his press conferences.

I can say that I, for one, do not "need" to work, however I do believe is that there are many (through talking with customers at a distance) that prefer to order food. Whether or not its because they are self quarantined as directed, or just cooking for family three times a day... whatever the case is, I have heard more than once a day "thank you for your essential service."

When I speak to other drivers my conversation never is geared towards $$$... lets face that we are not getting rich. As a business owner of a non-essential service, my nature is to be giving (even with my "real job.") The motivation of delivering food covers my cost of fuel and allows me the taxable benefits to being a business owner. Motivations are a bit different an independent contractor and having to report all my earnings... I don't want to earn money as I do not want to pay additional tax to the CRA. Taxable benefits (write off's) is where it's at.

Thanks for all you do my friend. :smiles:

#4 ·
uber is not essential. i will not thank uber drivers neither is food delivery. just get out and walk and get your food. you dont need to get food from that restaurant across the city. just go get your food from your local restaurants. seriously like people are dying cant live like we used to. If i didnt trust uber drivers i def dont trust these food delivery people. especially since i had one dumb **** come towards me when he could have left any number of other ways. how many do you suppose actual have gloves or sanitize their hands often?

#5 ·
uber is not essential. i will not thank uber drivers neither is food delivery. just get out and walk and get your food. you dont need to get food from that restaurant across the city. just go get your food from your local restaurants. seriously like people are dying cant live like we used to. If i didnt trust uber drivers i def dont trust these food delivery people. especially since i had one dumb @@@@ come towards me when he could have left any number of other ways. how many do you suppose actual have gloves or sanitize their hands often?
It is cheaper to order food though delivery apps than walk over the street picking it up yourself, with all these app promotions.

#13 ·
I am still driving for UE and I am quite aware of the risks. I have 2 bottles of sanitizer in my car and lots of gloves. I have lots of soap and a wash cloth in my trunk. I use them all constantly. I don't wear a mask because everything I've read has said they are useless outside unless YOU'RE the one infected. ( to help stop spreading the virus )
Food delivery might be classified an essential service but I certainly don't see myself " serving the community ". It's just a job.

I leave ALL my deliveries at the door or on a table or chair. Sometimes I ring the bell and stand by the car or just text them that their order is there. Quite often I have customers waving at the window , one even held a sign that said " Thank You"'. I always get tips , from the ridiculous to the excessive. I am picky about what I accept now. I will decline anything with a drive through at mealtime ,just too much waiting. I will also decline any call more than 8 minutes away.
...... and life goes on but not for many thousands of other people. I am blessed.

You must be downtown huh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.