Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm always looking at new ways to have fun with my passengers, and recently I've been exploiting the obvious shortage in rideshare drivers to not only entertain myself, but line my pockets with more tips. It kinda just happened spontaneously last week, but this is a composite script of the conversation I had with a frustrated passenger who waited over an hour to get an Uber...

PAX: Why does it take so long to get an Uber now? It was never like this before!

ME: The pandemic scared a bunch of drivers away, and quite a few of them are just collecting the PUA money until it runs out. It has been hard in recent years to make money doing this. The unemployment is paying much better than Uber or Lyft ever did, and those drivers don't have to buy gas or fix their cars all the time.

PAX: Is Uber going to do anything about this?

ME: There's not much they can do. In fact, they're so desperate to hang on to the few drivers that they do have, they've started including information on which passengers are tipping the most, and bumping those passenger's requests ahead in the queue so that drivers will make more money for each pickup. They're hoping that by prioritizing riders who tip more, we won't quit this gig because of the low pay issue.

PAX: You mean how much I tip makes a difference in how quickly I get a ride now?

ME: Well, it has become one of the bigger factors. When you send out a request, and I get the ping, it immediately says how much you tipped during your last five rides. If some drivers see that you didn't tip, or tipped too low, they might ignore your request and it goes on down the line to the next driver. They just started doing this a couple weeks ago to see if it will improve driver retention, and perhaps lure some of the "unemployed" drivers back into their cars through word of mouth from other rideshare drivers.

PAX: So, I have to tip you in order to get better service?

ME: You don't have to tip me. I'm going to get you to your destination whether you tip me or not. However, the next time you request a ride, that driver will see your tipping history and make his decision to accept your ride based on those stats. Uber doesn't want us telling passengers this, but I feel so bad for how long you guys are waiting now, so I'm just telling you what the score is.

PAX: I can't believe they are doing this! Why can't they just pay you a better wage?

ME: You're singing my song, sister. Uber is out for themselves, like every other big corporation in America.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I'm always looking at new ways to have fun with my passengers, and recently I've been exploiting the obvious shortage in rideshare drivers to not only entertain myself, but line my pockets with more tips. It kinda just happened spontaneously last week, but this is a composite script of the conversation I had with a frustrated passenger who waited over an hour to get an Uber...

PAX: Why does it take so long to get an Uber now? It was never like this before!

ME: The pandemic scared a bunch of drivers away, and quite a few of them are just collecting the PUA money until it runs out. It has been hard in recent years to make money doing this. The unemployment is paying much better than Uber or Lyft ever did, and those drivers don't have to buy gas or fix their cars all the time.

ME: There's not much they can do. In fact, they're so desperate to hang on to the few drivers that they do have, they've started including information on which passengers are tipping the most, and bumping those passenger's requests ahead in the queue so that drivers will make more money for each pickup. They're hoping that by prioritizing riders who tip more, we won't quit this gig because of the low pay issue.

PAX: You mean how much I tip makes a difference in how quickly I get a ride now?

ME: Well, it has become one of the bigger factors. When you send out a request, and I get the ping, it immediately says how much you tipped during your last five rides. If some drivers see that you didn't tip, or tipped too low, they might ignore your request and it goes on down the line to the next driver. They just started doing this a couple weeks ago to see if it will improve driver retention, and perhaps lure some of the "unemployed" drivers back into their cars through word of mouth from other rideshare drivers.

ME: You don't have to tip me. I'm going to get you to your destination whether you tip me or not. However, the next time you request a ride, that driver will see your tipping history and make his decision to accept your ride based on those stats. Uber doesn't want us telling passengers this, but I feel so bad for how long you guys are waiting now, so I'm just telling you what the score is.

PAX: I can't believe they are doing this! Why can't they just pay you a better wage?

ME: You're singing my song, sister. Uber is out for themselves, like every other big corporation in America.
Love it, until a wise paxhole is on to you and asks what their tipping history revealed, especially if they have never tipped via the app. Be careful!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thats bloody genius. May even be better than my non-existant daughter. Being a single dad is tough. (Mentioning youre a single dad to a surprise newborn will get 98% of females and 75% of males to put their mask on so fast.) After all her health is my #1 priority. Also good for tips. 🤣😂🤣
Back when I did RS I HATED talking to people. I was so happy when they just got in and went straight for their phone.

Get in, sit down, shut up then get out.

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Love it, until a wise paxhole is on to you and asks what their tipping history revealed
My first thought also. If the pax is does inquire, a reply can something like "I accepted the ride request by mistake before reviewing the information, but that's okay at least you're getting a ride this time. It's a new feature I'm getting used to, I'll get in the habit next time before taking new ride requests!"

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts

First thought:

Second thought:

Reactions: rkozy

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My first thought also. If the pax is does inquire, a reply can something like "I accepted the ride request by mistake before reviewing the information, but that's okay at least you're getting a ride this time. It's a new feature I'm getting used to, I'll get in the habit next time before taking new ride requests!"
That's a slight twist on what I've said, which is, "My main concern is how close the passenger is to me, so I really don't look at the tip info all that much. I suppose if you were a passenger far away from my location, I might study that data a little closer...but you were nearby, so I didn't even look."

That's actually not a lie in my case. I don't accept far away trip requests.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
they've started including information on which passengers are tipping the most, and bumping those passenger's requests ahead in the queue so that drivers will make more money for each pickup.
You are a f*cking genius! I love it!

I might steal this one. Well, after I start driving again, when the government cheese finally gets shut off.

Back when I did RS I HATED talking to people. I was so happy when they just got in and went straight for their phone
So tell me, why did you think driving for U/L was a good fit for you? Why not get a job stocking grocery store shelves or flipping burgers?

until a wise paxhole is on to you and asks what their tipping history revealed
My response would be "I don't look at it to decide."

·
Premium Member
11,049 Posts
I like it.
I used to do something similar.

Had a pix of a young female on my dashboard. She was about 14 I would guess. Just some random kids pix that came in a wallet.

I would never say anything about it first.
Pax: Is that your grand daughter?
Me: Yes. That is Haley. I drive for her.
Pax: Huh?
Me: Well, she got sick about a year ago. As a result she lost the function of her kidneys and has been on dialysis ever since. Poor kid. She used to be so active. Well, her folks have good insurance but there is a lot of expenses that are not covered by insurance so grandpa drives a couple days a week and the money drops automatically into an account for Haley. We're waiting for a kidney -- it could happen any time.

This usually brings up quite a convo. How did she get sick? What's the chances of a donated organ? Didn't the family get tested to see if they could donate?
I could usually get in there that 'tips help pay for my gas so I don't have to come out of pocket for that'.

When the ride was over, I'd usually get a pretty good bump.
And this was back in the days when Uber was advertising that 'tips included'.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This usually brings up quite a convo. How did she get sick? What's the chances of a donated organ? Didn't the family get tested to see if they could donate?
I could usually get in there that 'tips help pay for my gas so I don't have to come out of pocket for that'.
Definitely a lot lower-risk than my "Throw Uber Under The Bus" approach. It probably nets you some real generous tips from those with a soft heart. Unfortunately, most my Uber pax tend to be hardened criminals out on parole, just trying to get to Burger King or Family Dollar.

I figure the story about Uber categorizing their ride priority based on tipping habits makes a little more sense in their dog-eat-dog, survival-of-the-fittest reality. In some ways, I kinda hope this ploy I devised catches on and forces Uber to knock down the lie. That way, the company will have to explain why so few drive for them now, and why they actually do assign the passenger an outsized role in deciding whether we get a fair wage or not.

Uber created this mess. Drivers would gladly do the job if it were financially viable. It really isn't, and Uber just foolishly hopes that generous passengers will make up the difference.

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Just some random kids pix that came in a wallet.
I would never say anything about it first.
Pax: Is that your grand daughter?
Me: Yes. That is Haley. I drive for her.
Pax: Huh?
Me: Well, she got sick about a year ago.
LOL, I've been doing something similar for years now.
Y'all some sick twisted basturds....
I luv it! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
There's a drawback to this scheme.

Pax: "I can't believe they are doing this, I'll tip you in the app!" 🤭

Reactions: Aw Jeez

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's a drawback to this scheme.

Pax: "I can't believe they are doing this, I'll tip you in the app!" 🤭
There's a drawback to any scheme. Passengers don't have to tip. Period.

However, if you can convince them that Uber is tracking tips (a totally plausible metric, since many use the Uber app to do it) for ride dispatching purposes, suddenly they have some skin in the game. If they think leaving a tip will get them quicker response time for future requests, a good number of these frustrated riders will consider an extra $2, $3, or even $5 to be a good investment.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Lie to get tips?

🤐 🤐 🤐 🤐

Reactions: 25rides7daysaweek
1 - 20 of 56 Posts