Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Edited to remove discussion about promotions.)

Today I was reactivated by Uber and I drove for a couple of hours.

I had a problem on my 4th and last drive today. It was a guest ride. When I arrived at the pick-up point, I got a message saying to call the person. I tried (once through cellular and once through data), but got an automated message that sounded like it was from Uber. The person was a no-show, but the app wouldn't let me cancel the ride no matter what option I chose. So I accepted the ride, then tried to cancel it immediately, but the app wouldn't let me. It wouldn't let me complete the ride either. The app kept saying Uber was having technical difficulties.

So I started driving towards the destination since it was only a few miles away. I tried cancelling and completing the ride on the way, but with the same result. I arrived at the destination and tried again, but with the same result. I got a message from Uber Safety since the app still thought I was on a ride but had stayed still for too long. So I called them through that message. I told the support person my problem, and she documented it and said she would give it to something like the live app team.

Then I uninstalled the Uber Driver app, and reinstalled it. Same problem.

About 30 minutes later, the ride disappeared and the app was in its default offline state.

About 2 hours later when I re-opened the app, the bad ride was somehow back... I also got a message from Manleen at Uber: "Thanks for letting us know about this outage. We're working on it, and hope to have it fixed soon."

I have a hard time believing this was an actual technical difficulty.

Triangle Font Rectangle Circle Logo

Organism Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Brand

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One interesting thing is that according to the Waybill, the trip started at 1:25pm PDT. I recall it was a scheduled trip. Uber gave me the trip at ~7:30pm PDT. So it seems like Uber gave me a trip that should have been cancelled or ended already.

Since then, my allowed driving time in the app has been decreasing and is nearly 0 now.

I find it really hard to believe the app was programmed in a way that would allow such a short trip to last over 10 hours without automatically killing it. I find it really hard to believe that someone high enough at Uber support or tech doesn't have the power to easily kill a ride or reset the status of a driver.

I've found that others have been complaining about this same problem. I don't trust Uber. I feel this is a ploy to keep some drivers from driving so that Uber can justify inflated prices to customers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I woke up today, I got a push notification from Google's Digital Wellbeing app. It was basically advertising California's "CA Notify" covid-19 app. I believe the covid-19 app scans nearby phones. I've never received this notification before. I don't have the covid-19 app installed. Maybe one of the riders I had yesterday has the covid-19 app installed. Coincidence that I got this push notification the morning after Uber's "technical difficulty"?

And I'm still having the "technical difficulty".

I think I'm going to apply to Domino's Pizza (as a driver) and Amazon (warehouse) today.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The bugged ride ended up lasting close to 19 hours, and right now the Uber Driver app is showing that they will pay me for it. Hopefully I will actually get paid for it. Total for the ride is nearly $250 and Uber is the one paying nearly all of it (service fee adjustment to payment).

I'm not sure if they're just doing it to avoid legal trouble since it caused drivers to be unable to work. Maybe also an excuse to make sure new drivers and low-earning drivers earn enough $ per hour. Also trying to stay out of regulatory trouble in general. (I'm in California.)

Another thought: the bugged ride was the 5th one I had that day. I hadn't cancelled or avoid accepting any rides up to that point. One possibility is that Uber thought I would continue with this behavior, which would depress surging, causing other drivers and Uber to make less money. Considered this way, maybe Uber decided it was a net profit to prevent such drivers from continuing by just paying them out this way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts