Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
I have heard that taxis are getting the uber app, anyone know if this is true
I don't know if it's true, but I believe the recent changes will enable taxi operators to do so. Sydney has had UberTAXI for some time now, there's no reason why it couldn't come to Perth.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
There certainly is Uber taxi but maybe the reference is to the iHail system which is beginning operation shortly ( Think drivers can sign up now) iHail will combine all cab companies on the one app and work as Uber does though the taxi company system with the same payment method as Uber or cash.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here on the coast are three taxis that use uber to get jobs, seen them on the passenger app and seen them both sitting at taxi ranks, I didn't think it was allowed here as you can only order uberX and not uber taxi, but they do it regardless. Would be interesting to see the passengers reaction when a taxi turns up to pick them up. Also.. Since here you don't hire the taxi but you work on commission, I'm pretty sure the taxi owner does not see any money from the uber jobs that his car/driver is picking up.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Here on the coast are three taxis that use uber to get jobs, seen them on the passenger app and seen them both sitting at taxi ranks, I didn't think it was allowed here as you can only order uberX and not uber taxi, but they do it regardless. Would be interesting to see the passengers reaction when a taxi turns up to pick them up. Also.. Since here you don't hire the taxi but you work on commission, I'm pretty sure the taxi owner does not see any money from the uber jobs that his car/driver is picking up.
I'm know that Uber doesn't want taxis doing UberX jobs. When I signed up there were a couple of taxi drivers trying to register their taxis for UberX and the Uber staff said "sorry, no taxis!". Over here in WA a bailee driver would typically pay a flat lease fee per shift rather than pay a percentage to the taxi owner, so it's a bit different.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
There certainly is Uber taxi but maybe the reference is to the iHail system which is beginning operation shortly ( Think drivers can sign up now) iHail will combine all cab companies on the one app and work as Uber does though the taxi company system with the same payment method as Uber or cash.
iHail has been met with quite a bit of displeasure by Cabbies. No destinations, no quick cashless system, if a Credit card defaults the driver loses out, a minuscule cancellation fee and onerous restrictions on client phone numbers.

I was told today (but not confirmed) that the app will mask the phone number from the dial screen when a driver calls a passenger up. But that number is held in the phone's memory. Here's the killer, the App monitors ALL the phone numbers that are dialled and if a past iHail rider's number is dialled after the job is completed then that is "reported " with the driver being immediately taken off the system until they explain why they called a passenger again. Taxi companies are calling this protection of client's privacy.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
On the Uber app you need to specifically order Uber taxi as you do Uber black.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Great! Then no one will mind if I put an illuminated UBER light on the roof of my car and grab me some hail & rank!
Biggest objections come from UBER. Don't you get it Newbie? Uber wants 25% of your income and won't get it if you can accept rank and hail (or cashies so careful you don't get deactivated if you discover that fountain of wealth).

Is there an option for Uber Smelly Ford Station Wagon too ? We don't have it here in Perth
Look around Hu you may not be able to request but a lot of ex-taxis (Wagons and all) already out there.
And one good vomit and every Uber smells like a Taxi. Try to get vinyl seat covers before it happens to you.

·
Banned
1,454 Posts
Look around Hu you may not be able to request but a lot of ex-taxis (Wagons and all) already out there.
And one good vomit and every Uber smells like a Taxi. Try to get vinyl seat covers before it happens to you.
Maybe you didn't realise I was joking ?

Notwithstanding that, I will never be able to transform my 3 year old car overnight into a 15 year old relic rejected by the scrap yard.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great! Then no one will mind if I put an illuminated UBER light on the roof of my car and grab me some hail & rank!
If you read the bullet points of the new Omnibus licence, there can be no signage making the vehicle look like a taxi, Shofer will no doubt argue their signage looks nothing like a taxi - I'm hoping they're right as I'd like to sign-up my car (metallic magnet signs), so a letter seeking DOT confirmation should clear that up - Shofer have usually done their homework.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Larrakin assume u are joking re the metallic Uber sign as I recall any signage is prohibited under the T&C of ur agreement with UBER.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I jest not - I wouldn't be putting Uber on the signs, rather my own chauffeur and tour business, Uber can certainly insist on no signage re ride share or Uber, but they cannot control other business signage, as much as they may like to.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Maybe you didn't realise I was joking ?

Notwithstanding that, I will never be able to transform my 3 year old car overnight into a 15 year old relic rejected by the scrap yard.
In Brisbane the maximum age for a taxi is 6 years from compliance plate date - this is great as UBER has created a huge market for ExTaxis here

·
Banned
1,454 Posts
I don't know if it's true, but I believe the recent changes will enable taxi operators to do so. Sydney has had UberTAXI for some time now, there's no reason why it couldn't come to Perth.
From what I gather UberTaxis charge as per their normal meter , so they will get a decent earnings per trip. This doesn't seem fair if we at Uber X are only getting 1$/km , $0.30/min.

Also under trip review Select an issue /Help there is an option for "I entered my Uber TAXI fare incorrectly", so this would seem to imply that they do enter a fare based on their own meters and not one calculated from the GPS tracking as per UberX.

If UberTaxis comes to Perth then we UberX drivers will have several thousands of Taxi drivers to compete with in addition to thousands of our own UberX drivers. Things are not looking good ! Hopefully I have misinterpreted all this.

Also expect less surge fares since UberTaxis in other places don't get surge, only their regular meter fare, making them an attractive alternative in times of surge.

·
Registered
998 Posts
From what I gather UberTaxis charge as per their normal meter , so they will get a decent earnings per trip. This doesn't seem fair if we at Uber X are only getting 1$/km , $0.30/min.

Also under trip review Select an issue /Help there is an option for "I entered my Uber TAXI fare incorrectly", so this would seem to imply that they do enter a fare based on their own meters and not one calculated from the GPS tracking as per UberX.

If UberTaxis comes to Perth then we UberX drivers will have several thousands of Taxi drivers to compete with in addition to thousands of our own UberX drivers. Things are not looking good ! Hopefully I have misinterpreted all this.

Also expect less surge fares since UberTaxis in other places don't get surge, only their regular meter fare, making them an attractive alternative in times of surge.
No you have interpreted it perfectly - but don't despair - because most uber passengers are price driven they will always take the cheapest option when ordering. Smart drivers have already snapped up the passengers willing to pay $3 a km for great service.

·
Registered
676 Posts
And if Uber taxi doesn't come to Perth all those drivers will become Uber anyway because ...

No you have interpreted it perfectly - but don't despair - because most uber passengers are price driven they will always take the cheapest option when ordering.
As taxi market closes down then Taxis will be forced to become Uber. 6000 drivers will have to join Uber or starve...

You all thought it was smart undercutting cab drivers to kill the Taxi industry and give Uber 20% (now 25%) tax free of your hard earned (compared to the 3-4% Swan gets).
As you sow so shall ye reap.

Welcome to the party.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts