Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Rebel Honey Badger
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

Hmmm a few key points I noticed...:unsure:

"In mid-March, YipitData observed the highest ride-hailing price increase in five years, said Peter Martin, research analyst for the firm."

Like everything else. My guess is the only reason cab rates didn't go up I'd because there aren't enough drivers left. I bet most had left the industry way before the pandemic.

"The taxi business, which has been decimated by the rise of Uber and Lyft over the past decade, remains far behind the ride-hailing giants in ride volume. But as more riders find out they can summon and pay for standard taxis by app, some cab drivers are feeling newly optimistic."

Oh...didn't know that. Well I guess it's easier to compare rates with an app available. Still I doubt the taxi industry will ever have as many drivers available as rideshare. Sure...it may be cheaper for a cab but that means nothing if the nearest cab is an hour wait and there's an U/L sitting a mile away. If you gotta be somewhere you gotta bite the bullet. Dara is counting on you....for his next bonus. 馃槤

Premium Member
View attachment 628178

"In mid-March, YipitData observed the highest ride-hailing price increase in five years, said Peter Martin, research analyst for the firm."

Like everything else. My guess is the only reason cab rates didn't go up I'd because there aren't enough drivers left. I bet most had left the industry way before the pandemic.

"The taxi business, which has been decimated by the rise of Uber and Lyft over the past decade, remains far behind the ride-hailing giants in ride volume. But as more riders find out they can summon and pay for standard taxis by app, some cab drivers are feeling newly optimistic."

Oh...didn't know that. Well I guess it's easier to compare rates with an app available. Still I doubt the taxi industry will ever have as many drivers available as rideshare. Sure...it may be cheaper for a cab but that means nothing if the nearest cab is an hour wait and there's an U/L sitting a mile away. If you gotta be somewhere you gotta bite the bullet. Dara is counting on you....for his next bonus. 馃槤
When Uber stopped matching the closest driver to the pax (matching algorithm was modified) the wait times extended and opened the door even further for taxis.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 628178

Link?

Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
In Orlando a very large percentage of all rides occur in places that the taxis queue up at.

Some 33% at the airport and probably 25-30% at Disney world/universal studios.

I鈥檝e seen the shortage of drivers be a boon for taxi drivers already. The point at which customers abandon Uber/Lyft and jump in a cab seems more and more frequent.

funnily enough the media won鈥檛 notice as the tourists don鈥檛 know any better.

鈥測eah normally I鈥檇 take an Uber but they are doing that stupid surge thing鈥

鈥測eah鈥 not really offended sir.鈥

I mean that鈥檚 how it is for like hours every night I grab a taxi.

It's in your article in your OP
Here is my recent experience in comparing UberX to a cab.

Girlfriend and I went from my home to the Capital One Arena last night for the Dave Chapelle Show. Fubar wanted forty five bananas for that trip. I booked a real live taxicab through the Curb application and it was twenty and change. I added a tip of twenty per-cent plus to bring it to twenty five. I booked a cab back for about the same twenty and change plus the added tip to bring it to twenty five.. Fubar wanted fifty five bananas for that trip.

We went to the Capitals vs. the Habs to-night (sadly, the Capitals destroyed the Habs, 6-3). Fubar wanted thirty five bananas for the trip to-night. The cab from Curb was the same twenty and change. I added the same tip to bring it to twenty five. We hailed a cab to get back. It was seventeen and change. There was not much traffic after we got out of Chinatown. I added a five dollar and change tip to bring it to twenty three. Fubar wanted forty two bananas for the trip.

For the Chapelle Show, the cab both ways was five dollars more than the UberX one way TO Capital One Arena, and that included the tip for the cab driver. The cab both ways was five dollars less than the cab one way back FROM the Capital One Arena, again, including the tip for the cab driver.

Had I not been able to get .a cab and had been stuck with UberX, I, of course, would have tipped my UberX driver. Most customers would not have tipped the UberX driver on those trips.

It has gotten to the point that even on base rates, the cab is about the same as the UberX car for average trips. For the short trips, the cab is less. On the long trips, once the surge hits about 1,5-1,7, both are about the same. Once the surge hits 1,9, the cab is less, even on the long trips.

On a mild surge, 1,1-1,3, when you see the blue area on your map, the cab is the same or slightly less than the UberX car. When you see the blue area, the customer is paying a 1,1-1,3 multiplier, but Uber is paying you only base rates.

Last night and to-night, UberX was on Triple Double Secret Surge Pricing in the Capital of Your Nation.

I am guessing that my experiences are not that different from those in other large U.S. Cities..

Of the four cab rides taken over these two days, one was excellent, two were good and one was tolerable. Three were paid through application and one was credit card. No driver balked at non-cash payment.

Reactions: Lissetti

Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes

Here is my recent experience in comparing UberX to a cab.

Of the four cab rides taken over these two days, one was excellent, two were good and one was tolerable. Three were paid through application and one was credit card. No driver balked at non-cash payment.

With the cab company I deal with...

The credit card revenue gets paid out in less than 24 hours 99.999% of of the time. OK maybe 99.9%.. well in any event a couple of times ever I've had to wait a day or 2 for fares on the in house app for glitches.

But that credit card revenue goes into my taxi company psuedo account (A line item in the computer system that says I have $X.00.

First I can credit my POS towards what I owe the cab company, than if anything is left over I can get paid out in cash.

The net result is about half the time give or take I'm paying the cab company $20 in cash when i'm turning the car in, the other half the time they are paying me out a few bucks.

If i had to wait days and days to get paid out on credit cards I would care, but I don't.

Now I do lose a small % on card transactions. That's a real thing but honestly that % is nothing compared to how much tips impact the fare.

It's also pennies on how badly uber drivers get screwed around here...

Specifically i'll get screwed out of a few pennies a mile on a credit card transaction in the taxi, versus getting screwed out of a couple of dollars on uber. Per mile.

The credit card revenue gets paid out in less than 24 hours 99.999% of of the time. OK maybe 99.9%.. well in any event a couple of times ever I've had to wait a day or 2 for fares on the in house app for glitches.
It is similar here. It is rare that I have had to wait more than twenty four hours for payment on credit card or Curb transactions that run through my company. If you do run either the Curb jobs or the credit card jobs on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, you do not get paid until Monday. The company does take out for insurance or fees first (I own my cab), then pays me the balance through direct deposit. Thus, there is that exception. Every once in a while, it will take a transaction forty eight or even once or twice seventy two hours to clear. Local regulation does demand forty eight hours, but, if the payment has been made by the time the complaint comes up for adjudication, it is dismissed under the doctrine of "substantial compliance". Only if a provider shows a pattern of delayed payments are the regulators going to do something.

For those who rent, it is similar. The company deducts the rent first from the credit card and Curb transactions before it pays the driver by direct deposit. For those drivers who do not have a bank account, the company had them sign up for this debit card. As a rule, you pay your rent every week in the city. The companies generally rent by the week. In the suburbs, you can rent for a day, a weekend or even a week. The only exception is if you rent a cab while yours is in the shop. In that case, if the shop is done in two days, you can pay only for two days and turn in the cab when yours is ready.

If i had to wait days and days to get paid out on credit cards I would care, but I don't.
You have many drivers who live hand to mouth, here. Back in the cash only days, I knew drivers who would go home with two or three hundred dollars. The next day, they came to work with one or two singles a few quarters and less than one quarter of a tank of gasolene. I used to watch drivers work the sticker line on Saturday (back then, you had to have a sticker every week to show that you had insurance) as they tried to borrow five dollars here, two dollars there in order to raise enough to pay for a sticker.

Now I do lose a small % on card transactions. That's a real thing but honestly that % is nothing compared to how much tips impact the fare.
As a rule, the tip does more than make up for the fees. Despite the loss' being only pennies if the customer does flat you, if there is one thing that I hate, it is being flatted on a credit card transaction. Further, my accountant lets me deduct the credit card fees. Any driver should check with his accountant or otherwise qualified tax professional to see if he can deduct the credit card fees. I am not qualified to give tax advice. I am simply reporting what my accountant allows me to do.

Specifically i'll get screwed out of a few pennies a mile on a credit card transaction in the taxi, versus getting screwed out of a couple of dollars on uber. Per mile.
There still are some drivers here who are balking at non-cash transactions. In reality it is silly. Further, when these drivers balk at non-cash transactions, they play directly into the hands of the Uber/Lyft that they hate so much. As far as this market goes, had the drivers taken plastic even in 1998, there would be no Uber. That was the biggest gripe about cabs here.

There are some reasons why the drivers do not like the electronic payment. I have mentioned one: the hand-to-mouth lifestyle of some of these.drivers.
They do not like it for other reasons, as well:

We already have discussed the company's paying itself first.

They do not like the fees, despite their being small compared to what and are deductible, at least according to my accountant, they are.

They do not like waiting for payment despite its not being that long.

They do not like reporting everything on their taxes or even filing taxes. Back when we had a Zone System, there was no meter from which to take readings. Thus, no one had any idea what you were earning. Most cab drivers here did not even file taxes. When the meters came in 2008, one of the reason that drivers were angry was that now there was some record of what you were doing. When plastic acceptance became mandatory, they screamed even louder as now they had to report EVERYTHING, including tips.

How these drivers expected any sympathy from the riding public escapes me. Everyone else must pay taxes, why did they expect that the public would want to see their ducking taxes. I own my home, so I absolutely must pay taxes, or the Internal Revenue will snatch my house. Why do they expect even me to sympathise with them?

It is not required Y-E-T that I must like paying taxes, but, I must pay them.

Premium Member
How these drivers expected any sympathy from the riding public escapes me. Everyone else must pay taxes, why did they expect that the public would want to see their ducking taxes. I own my home, so I absolutely must pay taxes, or the Internal Revenue will snatch my house. Why do they expect even me to sympathise with them?

It is not required Y-E-T that I must like paying taxes, but, I must pay them.
Hey that's the same reason I report my income..

Premium Member
Lol, I wonder if they will stop stealing from the Pax and not sharing it with the driver, you know... back to subsidizing the losses to the driver in order to compete with resurging cabs?

This might make it harder (yet again!) to make a profit 馃ぃ

In truth, the longer cab companies hold Uber from creating a full monopoly where they can make a profit, the higher the gov has a shot at shutting them down or keep them unprofitable forever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts