Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear River North/Loop is worse now than it was 10 years ago. Dunno what the real stats are. And stats can be manipulated too (prosecutors downgrading felonies, victims not pressing charges, etc).

And it feels like the news buries stories that embarrasses City Hall/the DA or goes against the Police are Nazis narrarative.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-four-injured-crash-20180620-story.html#nt=

A woman was killed and three others were injured when the driver of a stolen Jeep crashed into a taxi at a busy Near North Side intersection while fleeing police Wednesday night, Chicago police said.

Police officers tried to pull over the Grand Cherokee in the 500 block of North State Street just before 11 p.m. when it sped south on State, then west on Grand, police said. The driver ran a red light at Grand and Dearborn and hit the taxi, which was traveling north on Dearborn, according to police. The taxi then hit two pedestrians.

A 66-year-old woman who was riding in the cab was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. The cab's 64-year-old driver suffered minor injuries and was treated at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

The two pedestrians, a 48-year-old woman and 45-year-old man, were stabilized with possible broken legs at hospitals, police said.

Three people in the Jeep were taken into custody.

An officer had reported to dispatchers that the Jeep was taking off after the attempted traffic stop, according to radio traffic. The sound of tires squealing echoed in the background.

"Okay he just crashed at Grand and Dearborn," the officer said.

Monya Richardson was waiting for his bus at the intersection when he saw the Jeep drive down State, trailed by a patrol car. "Then I just heard a big bang," he said.

A.J. Jiva, a limo driver, was parked on Grand waiting for a client when he saw the collision. He said he saw a man jump out of the Jeep and sprint away. Other witnesses told the Tribune police caught up with the three people in the Jeep and took them into custody.

"The impact was so loud," Jiva said.

Across the street, Jackie Bravo said she heard the crash from her apartment 49 floors up.

Police cordoned off the intersection with crime tape as crowds of people stopped to watch. The Jeep and the cab sat wrecked on the west side of Dearborn. A garbage can was toppled over nearby.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
This is tragic. I hope the injured recover fully. But I have a seemingly snide remark to make. You could "run" a green light and hit a taxi in Chicago. Many of them see yellow or red lights as merely suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts