Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More and more people are totally over Uber's shit. The ones who aren't either will be soon or are too tragic to worry about.

Here's what I think I see happening: too many ex-cab drivers are joining uber black. In my area, the barriers to entering the vehicle for hire industry are low. These factors are leading to over saturation in the market. So business isn't as good for any of us.

Taxi companies have lost some of their drivers to Uber/Lyft, or just to the loss of business that goes along with so much competition in the marketplace.

The pendulum swings.

With so many of us inexperienced drivers jumping on board uber/Lyft, the experienced drivers have more competition than ever. So do cab companies. They may be pissed now, but customers are getting sick of uber/Lyft's shit, too. As the pendulum swings, I think you'll see a lot of movement of drivers and passengers going back and forth between uber/Lyft and cabs and limos.

What needs to happen, and what may be happening, is that cab and limo companies should embrace this. Instead of fighting uber drivers, steal them. Promise them better. I'm still seeing ads for local limo companies that say "no uber drivers." Why not? Get with the times! I think that converting a lot of UberX/Lyft drivers who want part-time work (and who can be professional) to licensed drivers for companies that are even just a tiny bit better than uber is how you beat uber. Then you leave the utter bottom feeders to uber on. That will kill rideshare faster than any propaganda or marketing scheme ever could.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What do you base your theory on? Most people I know love Uber. Cheap rates, easy to use, the app works nationally. I'm not thinking people are over it.

If the taxis really want to compete, I would say they need to band together and create a common platform app that allows users the same features as Uber. One great thing, I can fly from Baltimore to New York to London to Los Angeles, and all I have to do is fire up the Uber app and get a ride. No need to download a separate app for each city, or each cab company.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you base your theory on? Most people I know love Uber. Cheap rates, easy to use, the app works nationally. I'm not thinking people are over it.

If the taxis really want to compete, I would say they need to band together and create a common platform app that allows users the same features as Uber. One great thing, I can fly from Baltimore to New York to London to Los Angeles, and all I have to do is fire up the Uber app and get a rid. No need to download a separate app for each city, or each cab company.
Because of Uber's treatment of its "partners", quality is going down. Don't you think? And from what I see, it's only getting worse.

There are apps already. Curb is out there, and others, I'm sure. They just need a good viral marketing campaign.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ram Limited.
24,993 Posts
More and more people are totally over Uber's shit. The ones who aren't either will be soon or are too tragic to worry about.

Here's what I think I see happening: too many ex-cab drivers are joining uber black. In my area, the barriers to entering the vehicle for hire industry are low. These factors are leading to over saturation in the market. So business isn't as good for any of us.

Taxi companies have lost some of their drivers to Uber/Lyft, or just to the loss of business that goes along with so much competition in the marketplace.

The pendulum swings.

With so many of us inexperienced drivers jumping on board uber/Lyft, the experienced drivers have more competition than ever. So do cab companies. They may be pissed now, but customers are getting sick of uber/Lyft's shit, too. As the pendulum swings, I think you'll see a lot of movement of drivers and passengers going back and forth between uber/Lyft and cabs and limos.

What needs to happen, and what may be happening, is that cab and limo companies should embrace this. Instead of fighting uber drivers, steal them. Promise them better. I'm still seeing ads for local limo companies that say "no uber drivers." Why not? Get with the times! I think that converting a lot of UberX/Lyft drivers who want part-time work (and who can be professional) to licensed drivers for companies that are even just a tiny bit better than uber is how you beat uber. Then you leave the utter bottom feeders to uber on. That will kill rideshare faster than any propaganda or marketing scheme ever could.
Bingo!!!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ram Limited.
24,993 Posts

If the taxis really want to compete, I would say they need to band together and create a common platform app that allows users the same features as Uber. One great thing, I can fly from Baltimore to New York to London to Los Angeles, and all I have to do is fire up the Uber app and get a rid. No need to download a separate app for each city, or each cab company.
As we know uber is dirt cheap
Customer feels stupid paying more or tipping
But it's coming to the point the savings are not worth the hassle
Even the cheap riders pay to get good service sometimes

Uber is a contrast to a traditional good reliable driver
Honestly it's almost night & day

You can book a known driver you'll get a predictable outcome
Since you booked him you have repore

Or you can jump true hoops
Get a unknown driver each & every time
I guess it works for some the cheap riders

The good riders can not have a predictable ride

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Because of Uber's treatment of its "partners", quality is going down. Don't you think? And from what I see, it's only getting worse.

There are apps already. Curb is out there, and others, I'm sure. They just need a good viral marketing campaign.
They arent over it. I see new PAX every day.

And many large banks have heavily invested in Uber.
Example "A".
http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/21/goldman-sachs-confirms-1-6b-investment-in-uber/

Uber is not going public.
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-banks-are-excited-to-help-startups-stay-private-2015-6

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
1. More and more people are totally over Uber's shit. The ones who aren't either will be soon or are too tragic to worry about.

2. Taxi companies have lost some of their drivers to Uber/Lyft, or just to the loss of business that goes along with so much competition in the marketplace.

3. but customers are getting sick of uber/Lyft's shit, too.

4. What needs to happen, and what may be happening, is that cab and limo companies should embrace this. Instead of fighting uber drivers, steal them. Promise them better. I'm still seeing ads for local limo companies that say "no uber drivers." Why not? Get with the times! I think that converting a lot of UberX/Lyft drivers who want part-time work (and who can be professional) to licensed drivers for companies that are even just a tiny bit better than uber is how you beat uber.
1. and 3.-Yes, many of them are, but I suspect that Uber either anticipated this or fell into it by accident. Alone among the for-hire digital call assignment platforms, Uber is a "One Stop Transpo Shop". Uber approaches the customer with its spiel of seamless transactions, you can see where the cars are and get an idea when and it you will get a ride, you can see when your ride is on the way, we let you know when the ride is there/close. It then adds "......a-a-a-annnnd, IT'S CHEAP!". "Oh, you do not want to deal with a non-professional, non licenced driver?--how about a limousine?" "Oh, you want a professional licenced driver, but do not want to pay for a limousine. How about a taxi? I have those, too". Pick it, select it, go, pay for it all in one easy tap. Thus, if the Uber user is tired of the problems associated with UberX, he does have a choice. To be sure, the taxis are available in only a few markets, but, I suspect as some of these taxi applications approach nationwide status, Uber will go head to head with them in the other markets. It ain't that difficult. Go into the market, get out the word, invite the cab drivers to this or that restaurant, give them a meal and a Coca-Cola, make their pitch, sign 'em up! It worked for me.

2. and 4.-You are onto something, here. If events in this area are at all instructive, what you suggest decidedly would be of use to the taxi companies. Here, the suburban taxi companies historically have mistreated their drivers horribly. When Uber showed up, those who could get their hands on something suitable for limousine use went there. The suburban companies noted a few parked rental cabs, but nothing to get alarmed about; someone would show up to drive them. Come UberX. Now, the range of acceptable vehicles is greater. These suburban cab drivers were parking their rental cabs in droves. The suburban cab companies were losing business because they had no one to cover it. You can holler and scream all that you will about Uber and mistreating drivers, but these suburban boys had it much better with UberX than with their former cab companies. I state from experience on this one. UberX is fairly simple and devoid of many of the rules and problems associated with these suburban cab companies. You sign on, run your trips, sign out, go home, no hassles. Now, there is the rating system, which is flawed, but, for the most part, these guys kept up sufficient ratings because at least they do know where they are going. Those that washed out simply went back to their cab companies.

Since the rate cuts, more have gone crawling back to their former companies, but, if rates ever approach what they should be, again, these suburban companies will lose their drivers. The suburban companies must reform their practices. They should pay bonuses to their drivers who can bring them new drivers. The suburban companies will help the driver get his hack face. They do need to sell themselves to the drivers. This means lower the rents and stop the mistreatment of the drivers.

In the City, the difference was the response of the Regulators. Much of the problem sprung from the members of our regulatory board. Many of them are members of trade groups that, for years, have been on record as hostile to the interests of cab drivers and companies. The response of these hypocrites has been to cheer the unregulated competition (the TNCs) while imposing more oppressive overregulation on the cab business. Thus, an attraction to the TNCs was created for the City cab drivers. I tried it. I must admit that the peace of mind on the TNC platform has its value. The City Council has specifically prohibited the Taxicab Commmission from doing anything to TNC vehicles unless its Inspectors observe a TNC vehicle's accepting a street hail. I must admit that when I go into the train station, it fgeels good to know that if some Hack Inspector with a fly up his nose approaches me, I can thumb my nose at him and tell him that he must go away as he is bothering me.

Despite the above, I do drive the cab more. There is no money in UberX.

Your suggestions are not much help for the City drivers, but the suburban companies would go far if they gave them more than a little consideration.

Most people I know love Uber. Cheap rates, easy to use, the app works nationally. I'm not thinking people are over it.

What people do not like is the problems inherent to the rideshare business. What people do like is what you posted, especially with Uber. If you do not like the UberX, you can get a limousine in most markets and a taxi in a few. If it is a ride that you need, you need go only to one place. That is one of Uber's advantages over all of the others. Some are willing to suffer a TNC ride if that is all that is available in the market in which they happen to be that week. They know that in most of the markets to which they travel, they can get a higher level of service. Thus, they stick with the one that works.

The "viral campaing" is only a part. One of the problems with Curb, and some of the others, is that it works only with fleets. It does not work with individual drivers. From what I am reading about Arro and Way2Ride, it is similar. The last two are rigged into the meter and "taxi technology". Thus, they will work only on those taxis that have a specific "taxi technology". What they need to do is move the application to drivers' smart telephones, so that they can pick up more drivers to service demand. If the demand does not get serviced, the user finds something else. This was part of Hail-O's problem here and major part of My Taxi's problems, here. It was less of a problem for Hail-O in other markets, but failure to service demand was well noted, here. The last two worked with individual drivers, but still had problems. Much of that was due to their attracting drivers who were not used to any form of "dispatch". Uber Taxi fared better because most of the drivers that it attracted, in itially, were used to some form of "dispatch". We knew to go after the job once we accepted it, rather than dump it and take the street hail.

Yes, do the viral campaing, but, also, you must educate the drivers on the importance of covering demand.

it's coming to the point the savings are not worth the hassle
Even the cheap riders pay to get good service sometimes

Get a unknown driver each & every time
I guess it works for some the cheap riders
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has faded?

Yes, they do get tired of some of the problems inherent to the TNC rides, but, in the case of Uber, it does offer alternatives in most of its markets. These people are used to Uber, so they do stick with it, they simply choose a higher level of service, where it is available. I have run across just what you describe: cheap customers who decide that it is time to pay for better service.

They arent over it. I see new PAX every day.
.......as do I, at both the levels of Uber that I drive. I see new Uber Taxi users who "grajjeeyaytidd" from UberX. When the college students get here, if they have not done so, already, they download the Uber application very quickly to their telephones. Those who can deal with the problems inherent in the TNCs do so. Those who decide that they can not deal with it, choose a different level of service. One thing about Uber is that it becomes habit-forming quickly.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Everything in this thread is a personal opinion, a very poor opinion.

If any of us could tell or see the future, we would have heavily invested in various stocks and retired on a 50' yachts. But, its all talk for the sake of personal entertainment.

So when you are done pretending being a money manger for Prince of Dubai, spend $2 for $200mill Power Ball.
Capital One Bank has an interest rate of 0.75% for your $120mill.... thats after 40% taxes.

Reactions: Nagodesi

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
^^^^^This from a dilettante suddenly turned expert.
Can you tell us how many pounds of shit i will poop next Tuesday? No you cant. Same way you dont know what will happen to Uber or Taxis.

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
^^^^^^^^^.....and I have no interest in trying to figure it out, either. Your skatological fascination with yourself you can keep to yourself, I ain't innerstidd.

I made no attempt to "know what will happen to Uber or Taxis". I did make some comments on how the taxis can make it better for themselves. Any predictions that I made were based on analysis of events and market conditions as well as my experience in this business. I have been around for a while. I know this business. There ain't none too many people in this hyar War-shingg-tunn Met-tree-pawlitunn Err-e-uh what kin tell me too much 'bout this hyar biz-ee-niss.

You have not been around long enough to tell me that any "opinion" that I might have on this business is "poor".

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
^^^^^^^^^.....and I have no interest in trying to figure it out, either. Your skatological fascination with yourself you can keep to yourself, I ain't innerstidd.

I made no attempt to "know what will happen to Uber or Taxis". I did make some comments on how the taxis can make it better for themselves. Any predictions that I made were based on analysis of events and market conditions as well as my experience in this business. I have been around for a while. I know this business. There ain't none too many people in this hyar War-shingg-tunn Met-tree-pawlitunn Err-e-uh what kin tell me too much 'bout this hyar biz-ee-niss.

You have not been around long enough to tell me that any "opinion" that I might have on this business is "poor".
Opinions have no value, cant be sold or bought with money. Thus all opinions are poor.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts

If any of us could tell or see the future, we would have heavily invested in various stocks and retired on a 50' yachts. But, its all talk for the sake of personal entertainment.

So when you are done pretending being a money manger for Prince of Dubai, spend $2 for $200mill Power Ball.
Capital One Bank has an interest rate of 0.75% for your $120mill.... thats after 40% taxes.
Well you're entitled to your opinion I guess.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Retirement is an outdated concept. Most milennials and even some older folks no longer plan to retire. That being said, I can't see the future, but I can see what looks like personal vehicles in my area with taxi cab stickers on them. I can also see hoards of UberBlack cars sitting and sitting and waiting and waiting. I've seen a young hipster driving a Yellow Cab. Things are definitely changing. I don't pretend to know where it all will end...

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Opinions have no value, cant be sold or bought with money. Thus all opinions are poor.
I'm sorry you can't tell the future.
I can.
1st wave UberX owner operators are all but finished.
2nd and 3rd wave owner ops are nearing their tenure as well.
Within 2 years, anyone foolish enough to be full timing every ping in their now destroyed Nissan will be done due to the vehicle giving up the ghost.
Regardless of what people think about an endless supply of personnel that will never dry up, it's complete and utter bullshit.
People will talk to their families, friends and neighbors about Screwber and the beating they gave.
2 years.
It's nothing like day trading, it's simply the writing on the wall.
Travis can only screw so many people before the Uber pool of helpless and hopeless dry up.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ram Limited.
24,993 Posts
I can.
Within 2 years, anyone foolish enough to be full timing every ping in their now destroyed Nissan will be done due to the vehicle giving up the ghost.
Regardless of what people think about an endless supply of personnel that will never dry up, it's complete and utter bullshit.
People will talk to their families, friends and neighbors about Screwber and the beating they gave.
2 years.
Travis can only screw so many people before the Uber pool of helpless and hopeless dry up.
That sounds correct , I'll say 5 % of the first drivers are still driving
Shows the reality

·
Premium Member
2020 Ram Limited.
24,993 Posts
Retirement is an outdated concept. Most milennials and even some older folks no longer plan to retire. That being said, I can't see the future, but I can see what looks like personal vehicles in my area with taxi cab stickers on them. I can also see hoards of UberBlack cars sitting and sitting and waiting and waiting. I've seen a young hipster driving a Yellow Cab. Things are definitely changing. I don't pretend to know where it all will end...
Absolutely correct

·
Registered
439 Posts
I can.
2 years.
Interesting. The other day I was in the operations managers office at the Cab Company. I looked on the chalk board and noticed the next lease number. So I have been there nine or ten years. I took the lease number and subtracted my lease number then divided by the number of years and it came out to almost the exact amount of the Taxi fleet in Cabs. That means or what I think it means is that it is near a 100% turnover rate.

Don't really know if this formula can be applied to the turnover rate of ride share drivers.

But IMO I would imagine it's pretty much the same thing everywhere as a driver for hire. Turnover rate. It's a very high stress business no matter how much or little money one can make.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

In order for the taxi industry to "compete," they need to be allowed to drive around uninsured/under insured, like Uber drivers do. They also need to be allowed to operate without city permits and/or licensing...like Uber drivers do.

This hogwash of Taxi vs. Uber competing against one another is comparing apples to orange.

BTW....There have been apps for taxi's for years. And it would help if the Uber drivers weren't subsidized by Uber. Without Uber subsidizing the unemployed, underemployed and unemployable Uber drivers, most would quit in the first month.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts