Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had another passenger complain about new Uber drivers being ex-Taxi drivers. He was with a group of guys. They had been standing on a very well known street (easy pickup location) late at night trying to get an Uber driver to pick them up. The Uber driver couldn't figure our where they were for some 20 mins he claimed and finally landed across this huge 6 lane road and ask them to all walk across 6 lanes to get to him, rather than him go pick them safely on other side. They finally gave up on the guy and told him to cancel. Then they got in an argument with the guy about who would/wouldn't cancel.

We all know what has happened. Most riders stopped using Taxis to get away from those guys and now those same Taxis drivers are most of what people now see when they request an Uber. So what has the Uber customer finally got after all the fare cuts and driver saturation? Cheaper rides with the same Taxi drivers in their nasty personal cars... the cars just aren't painted yellow.

·
Registered
958 Posts
After the wall came down in Europe and Soviet Union disappeared a lot of new "westernized" businesses were created. When a new luxury hotel started up in Moscow they had ONE requirement for the staff they were hiring. They could not have worked in the hospitality business before. The logic is that if they worked in a hotel previously they would not know what service is and they would not be able to provide the required service at a good hotel.

This is the major STRATEGIC mistake uber did. Nobody wants old taxi back and uber shouldn't have allowed old taxi drivers onboard. Well, they got old taxi drivers onboard and they enabled them to poison their company and we see the consequences now.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
After the wall came down in Europe and Soviet Union disappeared a lot of new "westernized" businesses were created. When a new luxury hotel started up in Moscow they had ONE requirement for the staff they were hiring. They could not have worked in the hospitality business before. The logic is that if they worked in a hotel previously they would not know what service is and they would not be able to provide the required service at a good hotel.

This is the major STRATEGIC mistake uber did. Nobody wants old taxi back and uber shouldn't have allowed old taxi drivers onboard. Well, they got old taxi drivers onboard and they enabled them to poison their company and we see the consequences now.
Think Hotel staff get a better hourly rate than über drivers. Über are all about price not quality and Travis doesn't have the imagination for it to ever be any different. If über can get failed taxi drivers to work for them be grateful it's not like it's ever going to be anything but a dead end and creative motivated people usually take things like that into account.

·
Registered
958 Posts
1. Uber is way better quality than taxi. Still there are less taxi drivers in uber than in taxi.
2. There is still room to lower the uber rates *IF* they abandon the taxi model and embrace a rideshare model. Let's use creative ways to cut costs. Unfortunately uber tries to direct drivers the way that is common in the taxi industry where people "work" "shifts".

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
1. Uber is way better quality than taxi. Still there are less taxi drivers in uber than in taxi.
2. There is still room to lower the uber rates *IF* they abandon the taxi model and embrace a rideshare model. Let's use creative ways to cut costs. Unfortunately uber tries to direct drivers the way that is common in the taxi industry where people "work" "shifts".
Lol wow. Is this perspecive from a drivers point of view or Travis. Or sarcasm?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Does staying out until you can meet a car payment constitute a shift?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Does staying out until you can meet a car payment constitute a shift?
I don't know. Maybe you should ask a cabbie? I've heard many of them rent a cab for 12 hours and that might be their shift.

I don't have car payments and I don't want to drive shifts. I want to share my ride.

·
25,030 Posts
I had another passenger complain about Uber drivers' being internet trolls. One was with a group. They had been standing on Pennsylvania Avenue late at night trying to get an Uber driver to pick them up. The Uber driver could not figure out where they were for some twenty minutes, he claimed, and finally pulled up on the other side of the Avenue and asked all of them to walk across the bicycle lanes and the barriers to get to him, rather than he go to pick them up on the other side where it was safe.

We all know what is happening, Most people ignore internet trolls and avoid them, but now those same internet trolls are most of what they see when they request Uber. So what has Uber customer gained, finally, after all the fare cuts and driver saturation? Cheap rides with these same internet trolls in their nasty personal cars.

This is the major strategic mistake that Uber made. No one wants an internet trolls' driving him around anywhere. Well,, they onboarded all of these internet trolls which enabled them to poison their company and the consequences are obvious.

2. There is still room to lower the uber rates *IF* they abandon the taxi model and embrace a rideshare model.
1. That is a false, stereotyping statement with which most of my customers would disagree. These customers are Uber users.

2. That is a false and misguided assumption based on a lack of knowledge of this business.

I don't have car payments and I don't want to drive shifts. I want to share my ride.
Your not having car payments while many do makes you an expert on this business?

I sometimes drive people 400 miles for $20 per head (5c a mile) and make a profit out of it. Cost for an individual trip can be extremely low if properly planned.
.........another false assumption based on failure to be informed properly.
+

Cab rates are what they are for a reason.

·
Registered
958 Posts
1. That is a false, stereotyping statement with which most of my customers would disagree. These customers are Uber users.
Agreed. I stereotype too much sometimes. It is a correct statment for ALL of my taxi trips (less than 100) and some of my friends. Too small of a sample I agree. My uber riders tend to agree with my statement.

2. That is a false and misguided assumption based on a lack of knowledge of this business.
Taxi business? I don't know much how it's run. My point is that uber should NOT be in the taxi business.

Your not having car payments while many do makes you an expert on this business?
Taxi business? I am no expert on the Taxi business. I disclosed this information to show I don't really know much about how taxi drivers pay for their vehicles.

.........another false assumption based on failure to be informed properly.
It is not false at all. Obviously you don't know the cost for these trips.

Cab rates are what they are for a reason.
Cabs can keep their rates as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking for alternative cost effective ways for transportation.

Uber will never justify their current valuation being a cab booking company.

·
25,030 Posts
It is not false at all. Obviously you don't know the cost for these trips.
Unless you are hauling these people in a scootercab, a pedicab or a rickshaw, I do know the cost of those trips. You have it backwards, Sirrah, about who knows or does not know the cost of those trips.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Unless you are hauling these people in a scootercab, a pedicab or a rickshaw, I do know the cost of those trips. You have it backwards, Sirrah, about who knows or does not know the cost of those trips.
Now you're thinking the taxi model again. I needed to drive that route anyways, even without passengers, so the cost to bring these extra people is next to nothing. That's how a ridesharing company can offer substantial lower fares for some trips. Uber's strategic mistake is that they don't support ridesharing in their app. It appears they try to copy much of the taxi model and we all see how well that works.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
uber has changed not only their logo but their motto. the new motto is: "THE TAXI EXPERIENCE".

·
25,030 Posts
Now you're thinking the taxi model again.
Of course I am, because that is what you are doing. Once you bring in the compensation, you bring in everything that goes with it.

If you want a "rideshare" model, you must drop the compensation. True "rideshare" would be more barter than anything else.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Of course I am, because that is what you are doing. Once you bring in the compensation, you bring in everything that goes with it.

If you want a "rideshare" model, you must drop the compensation. True "rideshare" would be more barter than anything else.
I see no problem with ridesharing for a fee. However, the rideshare model I have in mind would not be able to support full time drivers. Perhaps uber can combine their current taxi-like model with a true rideshare model and create a system that works for everybody.

·
25,030 Posts
I see no problem with ridesharing for a fee.
I will start with this problem: read the section of your insurance policy that mentions hauling passengers for compensation. Once you bring in compensation, you bring in baggage. Something similar to barter might get you around it, but if you bring in cash or electronic funds transfer, you bring all of the other baggage.

Reactions: WeirdBob
1 - 17 of 17 Posts