Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently viewed my Uber tax form and it tells me how many miles I’ve driven. It is categorized as “online miles”. However I still use mileIQ to measure my business miles. The question here is: do online miles include the time between passengers ? So example: just dropped off passenger A and drives two miles to pickup passenger B. So that two miles should still count as a deduction. Does the online miles only include the mileage where there is a customer inside the car? OR...is it truly representative of miles when the app is turned on? I can always just compare my mileIQ results but I wanted your opinion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your tax deduction for mileage counts from the time you begin using your car for business to the time you stop using it. Example. I drive to the nearest gas station and get gas to begin my day, fill up with gas. Technically I can use that mileage as buisness miles but it could also be counted by the IRS as commute. So to make it all Kosher I write in the mileage when I get into the car, drive to the gas station, get gas and write the mileage as commute. I then turn on my APP and wait if nothing comes my way I move to another location.... I am still on the clock with my app on... that all counts as business miles until I turn my APP off.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I mean is , does the Uber app itself count the miles for you also? Does it count the miles that you are online, Including being online in the app but with no passengers in the car? Or does the Uber app only count the mileage when a passenger is in your car ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your tax deduction for mileage counts from the time you begin using your car for business to the time you stop using it. Example. I drive to the nearest gas station and get gas to begin my day, fill up with gas. Technically I can use that mileage as buisness miles but it could also be counted by the IRS as commute. So to make it all Kosher I write in the mileage when I get into the car, drive to the gas station, get gas and write the mileage as commute. I then turn on my APP and wait if nothing comes my way I move to another location.... I am still on the clock with my app on... that all counts as business miles until I turn my APP off.
Or, turn on your app, go get gas. Decline anything that comes in. Nothing about the tax write offs requires you to show you actually took any rides.

What I mean is , does the Uber app itself count the miles for you also? Does it count the miles that you are online, Including being online in the app but with no passengers in the car? Or does the Uber app only count the mileage when a passenger is in your car ?
Uber app counts all miles driven while online. Obviously this does not work when you work lyft as well, so you should track your own miles. For example, uber said I only drove like 45k miles last year, but I logged all my miles over 60k. Do not rely on the apps numbers for taxes. Track everything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Or, turn on your app, go get gas. Decline anything that comes in. Nothing about the tax write offs requires you to show you actually took any rides.
you are correct... it's all about keeping accurate records. Don't worry about anything they send you except what they charge you for using the platform and how much you made. The rest of it covers UBERS ass just make sure you cover your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.