Uber Drivers Forum banner

Would you donate to place an Ad in the paper?

• Yes! Let's do it!

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No, it's pointless, stop talking bad about Uber! Uber saved me!!

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Let's use a different platform to get the word out!

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks,

Been a long, dead summer for most, we know and the recent price cut by Lyft has not made it any better.

Uber has been good as far as volume goes but how's your rating? Has it taken a hit? How many people have disrespected you or your vehicle this summer? Did Uber help besides throwing you a measly cleaning fee? Do you deserve any of it?

Prices go down and it seems like the ratings do as well.

We're given less pay for more work and what to show for it? More miles and less respect.

They pile it on and top it off with an "UberFool" message of reassurance that you get the same rate of pay... just more headaches and pax who know nothing about how the ratings affect the driver.

Oh and let's not get started on this tipping BS. We still hear it " oh, you can accept tips?? It's not included? Are you sure? " :mad: Oooooh yes we are!

Let's make sure to get the word out!

We propose that a full page ad, in the Star Ledger to inform the consumers that rating 5 stars is important and that tipping is not only appreciated but necessary at these rates!

Ok, so print is dead, but the ad is not the fixer to all our problems but it tells the story and it will be the story!

Think about it, Uber drivers United, to put together an ad. That's the news story. That's what the news will talk about. The ad will inform but will be in itself a story.

We propose a gofund me account to collect enough. This is estimated at about 1500-2000 dollars.

I'm sure our brother and sister drivers around the US and forum will be happy to throw 5 or 10 bucks.

These times are crucial. The automated car is on its way.

You may not make this your full time job but don't even let your part time "gig" be taken by a tin can. Uniting now is the only way to beat Uber or at the very least, put a thorn in its side!:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
The game is over. But if your going to waste your time with an ad why in the world would you put it in a newspaper? Who reads newspapers your grandparents do that's who. Use FB then you can target your ad to a specific audience. News paper ad? Not the sharpest tool in the shed are we?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Folks,

Been a long, dead summer for most, we know and the recent price cut by Lyft has not made it any better.

Uber has been good as far as volume goes but how's your rating? Has it taken a hit? How many people have disrespected you or your vehicle this summer? Did Uber help besides throwing you a measly cleaning fee? Do you deserve any of it?

We're given less pay for more work and what to show for it? More miles and less respect.

They pile it on and top it off with an "UberFool" message of reassurance that you get the same rate of pay... just more headaches and pax who know nothing about how the ratings affect the driver.

Oh and let's not get started on this tipping BS. We still hear it " oh, you can accept tips?? It's not included? Are you sure? " :mad: Oooooh yes we are!

We propose that a full page ad, in the Star Ledger to inform the consumers that rating 5 stars is important and that tipping is not only appreciated but necessary at these rates!

Ok, so print is dead, but the ad is not the fixer to all our problems but it tells the story and it will be the story!

Think about it, Uber drivers United, to put together an ad. That's the news story. That's what the news will talk about. The ad will inform but will be in itself a story.

We propose a gofund me account to collect enough. This is estimated at about 1500-2000 dollars.

I'm sure ou8t brother and sister drivers around the US and forum will be happy to throw 5 or 10 bucks.

You may not make this your full time job but don't even let your part time "gig" be taken by a tin can. Uniting now is the only way to beat Uber or at the very least, put a thorn in its side!:D
Uber has made it clear, that they will not add a tipping option to the app. Few pax want to pay cash tips. Most don't care whether or not tips are included, they just want the cheapest ride possible.

Second, forget about automated cars. And I don't want to waste my breath explaining why.

Third, newspaper ad? When was the last time you saw somebody under 50 reading the newspaper?

Uber is what it is. Everyone of us drivers want higher rates, non stop surge, tips, etc. but that's more fantasy, not reality.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The game is over. But if your going to waste your time with an ad why in the world would you put it in a newspaper? Who reads newspapers your grandparents do that's who. Use FB then you can target your ad to a specific audience. News paper ad? Not the sharpest tool in the shed are we?
Well a post isn't complete without Boris reminding us how pathetic we all are for anything Uber related... I mean it's the whole point of the site but that's ok. :rolleyes:

Old people read papers... papers make the news and FB just that same... why am I even... whatever... good post Bonus! Lol :D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I started the summer as a 4.85 ended at a 4.78 was up to 4.80 before the last 2 weeks of summer and was as low as a 4.76 .... Summer was hard on ratings for sure

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Folks,

I'm sure our brother and sister drivers around the US and forum will be happy to throw 5 or 10 bucks.

Lets think positive.
Instead of negatively attacking Uber / Lyft, we should be promoting a new service or a NJ Drivers Network to the public and setting up our own Central Dispatch for the Public to contact us.
That would be a better attack.

·
Registered
606 Posts
No one reads the paper but you could still advertise on their website, or a local tv or radio stations website.

A wix site, FB page and AdWords campaign would be cheaper and more effective, than a full page ad.

You should also be using social media. The shares are far more powerful than print advertising. You could easily send out a meme each day with some type of relevant, yet fun, message about tips or ratings. Use polls to find out why your pax truly aren't tipping or better yet to find out what would make them tip.

You have a good idea here, just needs to be refined a bit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Remember your awesome Uber driver who got you home safely?

Or the one who put a smile on your face?

Remember that great restaurant tip your Uber driver gave you?
(Basically the same positive comments we receive)

-Then-
Thank You So Much For Tipping Him or Her!

That's just one approach. It could be more direct, sure. But just off the top of my head that's how I would message it.

Could link to a page with all these great stories from pax and drivers about great experiences they've had.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well a post isn't complete without Boris reminding us how pathetic we all are for anything Uber related... I mean it's the whole point of the site but that's ok. :rolleyes:

Old people read papers... papers make the news and FB just that same... why am I even... whatever... good post Bonus! Lol :D
It is pathetic working for pennies, but if you really feel that strongly about it use social media ads that can target very specific demographics. Or how about putting a sign up about tipping in your car with a tablet hooked up to a card reader. Your allowed to do that. It's your car.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
No one reads the paper but you could still advertise on their website, or a local tv or radio stations website.

A wix site, FB page and AdWords campaign would be cheaper and more effective, than a full page ad.

You should also be using social media. The shares are far more powerful than print advertising. You could easily send out a meme each day with some type of relevant, yet fun, message about tips or ratings. Use polls to find out why your pax truly aren't tipping or better yet to find out what would make them tip.

You have a good idea here, just needs to be refined a bit.
Pete! You're hired! Lol

Btw.... Valar Morgulous lol

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Try stocking up on some full size Fiji waters and Snickers, Reese's, and Nestle Crunch bars (full size) for all pax. :p
Yea um maybe not. However at the shore I did have jolly ranchers and mints in the car. At $1.70 a mile sure but $0.85 per mile we are back to the only ammenity being my sparkling personality

·
Registered
229 Posts
During normal business hours (aka when I'm not in my bunny costume), I'm a marketing director. As many others have stated, print ads are dead. The ROI is actually negative. North Jersey Media will tell you they have readership in the tens of thousands, but with a full page ad going for generally close to $3,000, I typically get literally 5 conversions. I personally like NJ transit rail/bus ads, but a half sheet at 3 Bergen county stations ran me $6k last year. Conversion: 1.

Social media ads are far more cost effective, and you can set any daily budget you want starting at $5 and up. You target your viewers, and Facebook tells you how many people will see the ad for your daily dollar limit. Their ads are much more sophisticated than they used to be; three years ago all we had were sidebar ads and the ability to boost page posts, but now they offer targeted ad types for various goals. I use them for website conversions, personally.

However, Facebook is really not where most pax reside on the web these days. We are talking about broke millennials who spend more time picking a filter for an artsy picture of their lunch than they did choosing a college. That's right, Instagram is a cash cow. Rates are the same as their parent company Facebook, and the ads are totally integrated with content. Even I who am immune to Internet ads can't help but pay attention to them on my Instagram feed.

If you're really feeling up to a challenge, the future of marketing is inbound. The proliferation of questionable methods like ad words and pay per click as well as the advent of ad blockers on smartphones means conversions have to be organic and authentic. Translation: you need to offer information people want in exchange for the opportunity to subtly tell them about your product. And not just any blog will do these days. Readers are much more adept at picking out the bad ones, as I'm sure many of you know firsthand. Your blog has to offer something people want written in language they understand and trust. Think: the ride share guy. That's what you get when you google for information about uber, and you'll quickly notice he weaves monetized links and offers throughout an otherwise "useful" post. If you blog effectively, you'll generate traffic back to your site (for example, a drivers network site) and people will be far more likely to want to learn more about your product than if you bait them with a link, promoted search engine result, or sidebar ad that tons of people may see but never actually click.

And that's all I have to say about that!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My rating has risen to 4.85, the highest it has been since when I started back in January. To date, I have done 1404 Fares, 1041 Rated, 938 5-stars... lah dee dah for me, before anyone else says it.

Summer worked out well for me and all I did was keep the car clean & cold, kept a charger & aux cord available and played "the Drunk Whisperer" well enough to keep my passengers happy and under some semblance of control.

I am, however, concerned about driving for Uber regarding passenger feedback ignorance, scarce tipping and the cesspool (Uber Pool). I have a solution I'm working on and will present as a separate topic when I have it done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts