Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...r/news-story/af6efcd2d638b8ddb2fd0c9fd2048820

First two paragraphs:

Sydney taxis will be able to turn off their meters as part of a radical package of reforms designed to help them compete with ridesharing firms such as Uber.

Although new regulations haven't been finalised, fare deregulation will mean the end of fixed taxi fare rates. Passengers will hunt for the lowest fare they can get with various taxi firms and Uber, when they book a ride by phone or through an app.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah but cabs will still be driven (mostly) by ****s and in shit cars, the only time I ever get in a cab is when I am with someone else and they are to lazy to wait for a uber, or uber surcharge is 2x

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
Just read the article,
Basically booking a cab via network booking or phone app will be cheaper than a street hail...with a negotiated cheaper fare.

I fail to see how this will advantage the cabbies,

Normally cabbies switch off meter now and negotiate a higher fare when in demand exceeds supply....

I

·
Registered
14 Posts
Won't work here in Newy as the cabbies provide a s**t service. I can't remember the last time I saw a passenger in a cab when going past one. I normally see them all sitting in the taxi rank doing nothing.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
might help them a bit but generally speaking, the taxi industry, cabs and drivers are doing their utmost best to continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
the service is below par and their attitude is below that.
they can blame everyone else and attempt to install different systems but the truth is they have run a monopoly for far too long and its come unstuck by their own doing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
They have been doing that for years it's called driving for cash and it's been available for ever and they have the right of negotiating an agreed fare as well

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Won't work here in Newy as the cabbies provide a s**t service. I can't remember the last time I saw a passenger in a cab when going past one. I normally see them all sitting in the taxi rank doing nothing.
Lol last I saw a passenger in the front seat the driver was shouting abuse at me with the passenger in the middle of it. Bet that made the passenger feel comfortable not

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Taxis have always been able to offer fares below the maximum rate.

I feel sorry for the taxi drivers on this one. End result will be no additional passengers, but those who do use their services will pay less.

If those hailing a cab could negotiate fares, it might be a different story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts