Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What is the reason behind Lyft doing a switcheroo on you?

Past 2 days, this is happened a number of times, and it feels like more often than not, it ended up being an undesirable ride for one reason or another. Maybe it's just selective memory on my part.

The last one I remember last night was switched to a group of FIVE young hoodrat girls who kept insisting they can all fit in this 5 seater sedan. I won't even take 4 let alone 5. "WEEELL YOU CANCEL DEN AND GIMME MAH MONEY BACK

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Lyft has advertised that the [aptly named] switcharoo is an effort to reduce wait times for passengers, as well as reduce pickup times for drivers.

In principle this feature of the app could be useful, or only slightly annoying, if it truly performed its stated function. In practice it is very annoying. Lyft no longer makes a sound when the switch occurs. You have to be staring at your phone to notice the switch. Naturally this is a safety issue, and it can actually extend wait time and pickup times when drivers navigate to where they think there pax is, only to find out that their swapped fare is across town.

Lyft also forgets to inform the driver if the swapped in fare is a LONG TRIP. I think the only way to disable the switcharoo is to turn on LAST RIDE as soon as you accept the trip. Others on this board have stated that anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
The Lyft app is squirrelly when it comes to audible notifications. Yesterday I got an audible on a new ride being queued up for the first time in eons.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not deactivated, yet. Going through a lengthy background check pending game, like so many other drivers on this forum already have.

I'm starting to wonder if this is intentional, so you can get a taste of how terrible Lyft is and not take Uber for granted so much, and learn to appreciate Uber more.

·
25,510 Posts
I have argued back and forth with Harshit over this. According to Harshit, you get the switcheroo when you are "not making sufficient progress toward your rider regardless of circumstances" or a trip appears to which you are "closer" (or words similar). I informed Harshit that this does not address my major problem in that I have no choice as to whether I accept or decline this job. Of course, Harshit informs me that I can "cancel any trip that I do not want to service." When I remind Harshit that if I do that half as often as Gryft pulls the switcheroo, I will be de-activated, he will not respond or if he does, it is the same, old cookie-cutter, scripted e-Mail that does not address the problem.

This is obviously a lie (surprise!). I lost count of the times that I have been pulled off a job from which I was two or three blocks for another one ten minutes or more from me. Before the pandemic, often I was pulled off regular Lyft jobs for Shareds. I do not accept Shareds on Lyft. If Lyft ever brings back Shared, I will SEVERELY curtail my Lyft work. I am not going to run a Shared that I had no choice on accepting or rejecting. In fact, I am not going to run almost any job ab out which I had no choice.

My usual response is a no-cover, but, as Original Poster mentioned in another topic on this Board, I got a nastygram from Harshit about my cancels and no-covers. My response to this is not to accept anything from Gryft that is more than two minutes from me, unless I am trying to work a streak. If I am trying to do that, I set a long destination filter to somewhere in the Metropolitan Area that I will work. Gryft then sends trips that get me partially there, even if they often go out of the way. Still, generally I can avoid parts of the Metropolitan Area that I do not want to work.

Back in the days of Prime Time multipliers, I do not know how many times I got pulled off a 2X Prime Time or better from which I was two blocks to get a switcheroo to a base rate Line that was fifteen minutes from me. Unless I am in the further out suburbs or exurbs, I do not accept anything more than five minutes from me.

Fubar used to have this feature, as well, but quietly dropped it.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
The switcheroo makes sense for Lyft as it gives them a flexible supply of drivers and arrival times. Lyft can then charge rider accordingly.

If would make sense for driver if they added bonus money for extending the pickup distance/time driver has to travel.

Will never forget the time a pax opened door and was about to sit down when Lyft pulled a switcheroo. We were both like WTF.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Just as a general reminder, especially for the noobs that claim they’re veterans……NEITHER Lyft, nor Uber, will EVER do anything that doesn’t first benefit them. Ever.
Literally every single thing they do, is designed to maximize their income. They don’t care how much you do, or don’t, make. As BOTH CEOs have said, drivers are a necessary evil at this time. But don’t worry, they’re doing all they can to eliminate them.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Just turn on Uber and don’t go to the switch, lyft will get the hint when you stop going to rides that are switched. Let the rider cancel and just ignore it. Lyft likes to just give my ride to another driver if I get caught in traffic and leaves me with nothing. I don’t drive again for Lyft until they give me my cancel fee, usually around the third or fourth time I complain I get it

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
No clue, haven’t driven in a while. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t, but if they cancel you it doesn’t count towards your cancel ratings. If they say anything then just say traffic wouldn’t move and I couldn’t do anything

1 - 20 of 33 Posts