Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Those not fortunate enough to replace commutes with telecommutes during the rise of COVID-19 have at least been able to enjoy the silver lining of reduced road traffic, even if it has meant dodging Dominic Toretto wannabes at every turn. That pleasure, however, will be short-lived as America is returning to work with its recovery incomplete, and its situationally aware populace will do what it must to stay safe. To many Americans, that will require avoiding contact with the public wherever possible, meaning the substitution of private forms of transport for the communal-in other words, more cars, and more traffic. Studies by CarGurus and the IBM Institute for Business Value that together surveyed roughly 26,000 American adults found that around half have developed a distrust for ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft. Thirty-nine percent of the former's 722 respondents said they plan to use less or no ride-shares whatsoever from here on out, and more than half of the latter's 25,000-plus respondents said similar. The IBM survey also found that 24 percent will cease using ride share-adjacent services like taxis, even though taxis may be less than a hundredth as germy your average Uber according to a 2019 study.

Some 28 percent of IBM respondents who take public transport such as buses or trains said they will use these modes of mobility less often, and more than 20 percent said they will stop entirely. People still need to get around, though, and they will default to the safest way they know, that being the car. Seventeen percent of those surveyed by IBM and 49 percent by CarGurus said they will use their own vehicles more, and around 25 percent said they'll use their private forms of transport exclusively from here on out.

To that end, 41 percent of those surveyed by CarGurus said they soon "expect to purchase a vehicle," be it a replacement for their current car or a new set of wheels to augment it. Regardless of whether they purchase cars new as automakers want them to or seek a bargain on the used market, it looks like traffic after the shutdown is going to be even worse than it was before. If there were any time to live off-grid in a van for a while-despite the challenges of such a lifestyle in the age of coronavirus-this might be it.

Link to CarGurus study -

Link to IBM study -

For the TL;DR crowd:
Drivers and rideshare vehicles are germy.

Pax are going to buy their own cars.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Possibly. Convenience is an extremely seductive temptation. Not to mention the personal finances angle. And, people tend to have short memories. However, if the sting of this pandemic adheres to society it may come down to a question not of concern regarding which others may be safe to mix with -as there may be no way to easily make such a determination - but a question of if an individual feels safe no matter who they mix with (or where) ... which equates to an efficacious vaccine.

With regard to rideshare specifically, there will likely be a greater push [read: justification] toward driverless cars. Regulations may be relaxed further. And even a move to austere Johnny Cab style vehicles with interiors designed to mitigate the transmission of pathogens.

·
24,603 Posts
Pax are going buy their own cars.
..................and in this market, at least, will leave them at home when they see all of the parking summonses that they receive in the District of Columbia. When they see what the parking garages charge, they will not pay that, either.

If there is anything at which the D.C. Government is efficient, it is writing and collecting on parking summonses. ..... (..........as well as nastycam summonses).

·
Rebel Honey Badger
17,570 Posts
In Seattle, the city has had a war against rideshare for years. They even filed a lawsuit against Uber. I think this pandemic will give our city government the nudge they need to finally pass some legislation to either do away with it or severely restrict it. Seattle is a very "green" city. Likewise Yellow Cab has an exclusive union with our local airports. When Uber and Lyft came out our traffic congestion more than doubled as our streets became choked with Ants. Likewise U/L severely crippled the city transit and nearly destroyed the Cab industry, which meant the city was no longer getting that medallion money. I think Seattle will use this Coronavirus to finally remedy these issues.

·
Administrator
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in essence you are saying human beings are germy, yeah?
Yes, yes I am.

And the Internet agrees with me.

"How many germs are on your hands right now?

It's fair to say a lot of them, particularly if you haven't washed your hands recently. Every time you touch an object or shake someone's hand, you are probably picking up bacteria and potentially viruses too. We're estimated to have around 1,500 bacteria living on each square centimetre of skin on our hands. Areas such as underneath the fingernails and between the fingers often harbour even more. While some bacteria are good for us, some of the external germs we can pick up can potentially cause health concerns and infections - especially in a healthcare or food preparation scenario.

Depending on where you've been and who you've been interacting with, viruses on your hands could include the common flu virus or even the norovirus, which causes viral gastroenteritis that can so rapidly spread through retirement homes and cruise ships. It's all too easy for these germs and viruses to make their way to our mouths and noses as we touch our faces or eat throughout the day."

·
Premium Member
15,830 Posts
"How many germs are on your hands right now?
there was much snark in my reply, btw.
did you know you have germs & bacteria in your tummy and if you didn't....you'd be in big big trouble?
:poop:

·
Administrator
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there was much snark in my reply, btw.
did you know you have germs & bacteria in your tummy and if you didn't....you'd be in big big trouble?
:poop:
I know. I was messin' with you as well. :biggrin:

Reactions: _Tron_ and MiamiKid

·
Premium Member
6,686 Posts
The source for this article is HIGHLY SUSPECT.

The Drive, and in particular this author, has a hate on for rideshare. There is also an article from them posted here today saying UBER has more germs and infections than a taxi does. Shitty little sites like this one, and there are millions of them, write whatever their paying "editorial customers" ask for. This is not news, but paid influencing.

In Seattle, the city has had a war against rideshare for years. They even filed a lawsuit against Uber. I think this pandemic will give our city government the nudge they need to finally pass some legislation to either do away with it or severely restrict it. Seattle is a very "green" city. Likewise Yellow Cab has an exclusive union with our local airports. When Uber and Lyft came out our traffic congestion more than doubled as our streets became choked with Ants. Likewise U/L severely crippled the city transit and nearly destroyed the Cab industry, which meant the city was no longer getting that medallion money. I think Seattle will use this Coronavirus to finally remedy these issues.
Here in YYC our mayor (who looks like every single taxi driver here) aggressively fought against Uber purely for political reasons. Here is a video of his verbally unloading on Travis Kalanick and Uber during the time the battle was brewing. It was taken while he is sitting in an Uber in the US BTW...........our mayor is the fat festering **** on the left in the image.

We have laid off about 500 bus drivers as ridership on our public transit system is down by 95% due to CV19..........I regularily pick up people waiting at bus stops year round, who are fed up with city transit too. Uber is not going anywhere in our city, and I predict it will come back stronger, as people will continue to stay away from the 200 pax in each subway car, or the 80 people on a bus, or the 30% higher taxi fares.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
The source for this article is HIGHLY SUSPECT.

The Drive, and in particular this author, has a hate on for rideshare. There is also an article from them posted here today saying UBER has more germs and infections than a taxi does. Shitty little sites like this one, and there are millions of them, write whatever their paying "editorial customers" ask for. This is not news, but paid influencing.
Polls, and surveys, are also snapshots in a specific point in time. Things change quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
I was reading that last night. I believe that's true for the most part. I'm curious to see if there's a significant effect on areas where most folks don't drive like NYC.
It will be interesting but my prediction is there isn't going to be a significant change in behavior. In NYC It is almost impossible to get around without taking public transportation. If you work in Manhattan it isn't realistic to drive yourself to work. Many that live in the outer boroughs find it difficult to own a car because there is no place to park. Many NYers are pretty much stuck with public transport, like it or not.

·
Premium Member
59,808 Posts

Those not fortunate enough to replace commutes with telecommutes during the rise of COVID-19 have at least been able to enjoy the silver lining of reduced road traffic, even if it has meant dodging Dominic Toretto wannabes at every turn. That pleasure, however, will be short-lived as America is returning to work with its recovery incomplete, and its situationally aware populace will do what it must to stay safe. To many Americans, that will require avoiding contact with the public wherever possible, meaning the substitution of private forms of transport for the communal-in other words, more cars, and more traffic. Studies by CarGurus and the IBM Institute for Business Value that together surveyed roughly 26,000 American adults found that around half have developed a distrust for ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft. Thirty-nine percent of the former's 722 respondents said they plan to use less or no ride-shares whatsoever from here on out, and more than half of the latter's 25,000-plus respondents said similar. The IBM survey also found that 24 percent will cease using ride share-adjacent services like taxis, even though taxis may be less than a hundredth as germy your average Uber according to a 2019 study.

Some 28 percent of IBM respondents who take public transport such as buses or trains said they will use these modes of mobility less often, and more than 20 percent said they will stop entirely. People still need to get around, though, and they will default to the safest way they know, that being the car. Seventeen percent of those surveyed by IBM and 49 percent by CarGurus said they will use their own vehicles more, and around 25 percent said they'll use their private forms of transport exclusively from here on out.

To that end, 41 percent of those surveyed by CarGurus said they soon "expect to purchase a vehicle," be it a replacement for their current car or a new set of wheels to augment it. Regardless of whether they purchase cars new as automakers want them to or seek a bargain on the used market, it looks like traffic after the shutdown is going to be even worse than it was before. If there were any time to live off-grid in a van for a while-despite the challenges of such a lifestyle in the age of coronavirus-this might be it.

Link to CarGurus study -

Link to IBM study -

For the TL;DR crowd:
Drivers and rideshare vehicles are germy.

Pax are going to buy their own cars.
Good News For future OIL PRICES !

THEY GOING UP !

It will be interesting but my prediction is there isn't going to be a significant change in behavior. In NYC It is almost impossible to get around without taking public transportation. If you work in Manhattan it isn't realistic to drive yourself to work. Many that live in the outer boroughs find it difficult to own a car because there is no place to park. Many NYers are pretty much stuck with public transport, like it or not.
ELON MUSK COULD DIG UP UNDERGROUND PARKING

WASNT TRAVIS BUYING UP PARKING GARAGES IN NEW YORK ????

·
Rebel Honey Badger
17,570 Posts
It will be interesting but my prediction is there isn't going to be a significant change in behavior. In NYC It is almost impossible to get around without taking public transportation. If you work in Manhattan it isn't realistic to drive yourself to work. Many that live in the outer boroughs find it difficult to own a car because there is no place to park. NYers are pretty much stuck with public transport, like it or not.
Yes NYC is different from Seattle and lots of places. NY has a phenomenal transit system and most places people go to are on the routes. New Yorkers will be on the train tomorrow with a mask on. I don't see that changing. No one drives in the city.

But Washington has a piss poor transit system and it's much more spread out. You want to go 7 miles in Seattle you most likely have to wait 30 minutes in between buses and you'd probably have to transfer to 2 or more. It's in these situations I could see more people buying cars (still green ones) mopeds/scooters, bicycles and arranging rides with their friends. Seattle is very health conscious. They will have no problem going back to before rideshare existed. As it is, they are already closing city streets to mainstream traffic permanently.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts