Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought uber was popular in ceartain parts of nj.Is it my phone or are there no surges anywhere in the state most of the time?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
North NJ Hudson and Bergen area. Lyft is slow. I don’t think anyone knows about it. lol

I heard Lyft is popular in NYC.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I do my 1 Lyft ride a month just to stay active, just in case it becomes popular. I had a Lyft pickup in Oakland the other day and he admitted to using both Uber and Lyft and whichever was closest he would go for. Anytime I have both apps up and running it is always Uber that pings in first.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Today around 9 am there was no surge on the driver screen but on the rider app the surge was 2.1. That was in Bayonne/Jc. After a few minutes the surge went down but nothing on the driver app. I don t get it

·
Registered
62 Posts
No doubt that Uber uses some tricky tactics with the surge to just get more drivers to that area. Most of the time even if I'm close to a surge area, or even INSIDE of a surge area, I won't get a ride until the surge disappears.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Surge in NJ is like a unicorn or big foot. I love how people say it's stupid to drive for base fares/don't drive for non-surge... you don't have much choice in NJ. If you don't take base fares around here prepare to be sitting around with your thumb up your ass all night. If I get 1 surge in a week it's like a miracle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Surge in NJ is like a unicorn or big foot. I love how people say it's stupid to drive for base fares/don't drive for non-surge... you don't have much choice in NJ. If you don't take base fares around here prepare to be sitting around with your thumb up your ass all night. If I get 1 surge in a week it's like a miracle.
Yeah 1 Surge ride for me a week is a gift. Even though half of the time I'm only making $8 net or less.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I lucked out last week. Picked up a pax in Princeton around 4am going to EWR with 2x surge. $101.50 started my day off right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I lucked out last week. Picked up a pax in Princeton around 4am going to EWR with 2x surge. $101.50 started my day off right.
Yeah, I would probably go home after that. Half the time in Jersey you can work 8 hours and barely make that. That's why I have learned to stay out of Jersey City, Union City, North Bergen, West New York, and Hoboken. 9 times out of 10 it's a cheap time consuming ride. I wait in Bergen or western Hudson counties or a ride as they are usually a little bit longer. The rides may not be as frequent but the fares are definitely better.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Yeah, I would probably go home after that. Half the time in Jersey you can work 8 hours and barely make that. That's why I have learned to stay out of Jersey City, Union City, North Bergen, West New York, and Hoboken. 9 times out of 10 it's a cheap time consuming ride. I wait in Bergen or western Hudson counties or a ride as they are usually a little bit longer. The rides may not be as frequent but the fares are definitely better.
After dropping at EWR, I usually head down south 1&9. Generally, business seems pretty good along the route 1 corridor between Elizabeth & New Brunswick. If I don't get an early airport, I manage to do pretty well working Mercer, Middlesex, and Somerset counties. (I live in Hillsborough, so that's kind of home base for me.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
After dropping at EWR, I usually head down south 1&9. Generally, business seems pretty good along the route 1 corridor between Elizabeth & New Brunswick. If I don't get an early airport, I manage to do pretty well working Mercer, Middlesex, and Somerset counties. (I live in Hillsborough, so that's kind of home base for me.)
Yeah when I am in those areas I seem to get pings right away. I live in Bergen County so I only make it there if a ride takes me that way (usually from Penn Station). Only problem is most rides usually take me further away from home. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Yeah when I am in those areas I seem to get pings right away. I live in Bergen County so I only make it there if a ride takes me that way (usually from Penn Station). Only problem is most rides usually take me further away from home. :confused:
Hahaha! I have the same problem when I'm working up in Bergen. The work is pretty nice, but I usually end up in places like Dumont or Alpine with little to no hope of finding a ride back to Central Jersey.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hahaha! I have the same problem when I'm working up in Bergen. The work is pretty nice, but I usually end up in places like Dumont or Alpine with little to no hope of finding a ride back to Central Jersey.
Really? I have the opposite problem. My rides in North Jersey often take me out of state or down to newark/central jersey and I can't find a rider going back north. Where do you find people going to Bergen County?

And I think the work up here is spotty at best. Some nights it's back-to-back pings with decent distances (8-15 miles) and then a city ride but other nights it's nothing but pings 20 minutes away and I'll get maybe 1 every half hour.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Really? I have the opposite problem. My rides in North Jersey often take me out of state or down to newark/central jersey and I can't find a rider going back north. Where do you find people going to Bergen County?

And I think the work up here is spotty at best. Some nights it's back-to-back pings with decent distances (8-15 miles) and then a city ride but other nights it's nothing but pings 20 minutes away and I'll get maybe 1 every half hour.
It may be a matter of timing. I normally work from about 4am to 2 or 3 pm. When I get an EWR for my first ride, I sometimes pick up a pax within a few miles of the airport who needs to go to Paramus, Rutherford, Passaic, or somewhere around Routes 17 & 4. Once I'm up there, the rides tend to stay up that way. Although if I drop someone off in Manhattan, I come back by way of the Holland so I have a better chance of snagging a ride that may take me even a little further south and or west.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts