Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
A question about surge zones. How close do I need to be to the nearest hexagon to start receiving surge pings? Will I get a ping if I say 1 km away or I need to be standing on a rose/red hexagon?

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Short answer: It all depend how Sara feels that day.

Long answer: In most cases you need to be inside or on the border of a surge zone to receive surge pings. But its not always the case. Sara can sometimes send you base fare pings 20 minutes away from your surging zone even if you're sitting in the middle of it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Plenty of times I have refused to take any pings that aren't surging in a surge area... then the surge ends and I miss out again. There is a possibility that you lose both ways

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I've had that. I would think for Uber it makes sense to give out all the surge pings as quickly as possible to remove the surge. But it's not the case, apparently...

Short answer: It all depend how Sara feels that day.

Long answer: In most cases you need to be inside or on the border of a surge zone to receive surge pings. But its not always the case. Sara can sometimes send you base fare pings 20 minutes away from your surging zone even if you're sitting in the middle of it.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
If I can quote you directly...
In most cases the surges are likely to occur at the same times and same areas BUT there are days when Sara decides to turn surge off for unknown reasons. She dosnt like bad (surge) publicity. This normaly happens folowing some bad press days. Doesn't happen alot though.

Surge is good. Plan your route accordingly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I find the closer i get to the surge zone, the further it gets from me
This what usually happens to me

View attachment 102558
Because you are still, a typical ant waiting in wrong area, at the wrong time.
Post the times, when sitting in a pax prey zone, next time.
Memorise the red zones and the time of day. They often occur at the same areas daily.
Naa, it takes 2 years and 7 months to give birth to a baby called "SURGE"(the real one).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts