Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got drive downtown, went offline after drive, drove to center of surge and went online, surge straight up vanish. Ok not gonna pick up cust on principal now... As soon as 10-13 mins north surge comes back to the area it just vanished on me in... Further I get bigger and redder the surge gets. I want to like uber and this job. This is low come on!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
got drive downtown, went offline after drive, drove to center of surge and went online, surge straight up vanish. Ok not gonna pick up cust on principal now... As soon as 10-13 mins north surge comes back to the area it just vanished on me in... Further I get bigger and redder the surge gets. I want to like uber and this job. This is low come on!!!
They're fraudsters. We should all boycott Uber and look for other work in warehouse, McDonald's, Tim's Hortons

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Hey man.. you've been around a while so you should know that chasing surges is a rookie mistake

·
Registered
324 Posts
As above, it was never there. You're a rookie who chased it. If you knew what you were doing, you would place yourself in the correct spots like veteran drivers do to obtain surges.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Uber tracks your location at all times online and offline(if recently had the driver app open) so they knew exactly where you were about to pop up in the surge and the algorithm killed the surge.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As above, it was never there. You're a rookie who chased it. If you knew what you were doing, you would place yourself in the correct spots like veteran drivers do to obtain surges.
I dropped off a cust as a said I don't chase surges but since I was downtown and there was surge went right to center (on my way to dvp) and turned it on... Surge disappeared, went back offline back to my usual spot. Just saying at least before it wasn't this obvious this huge pool of surge downtown vanished when I went online in middle of it... Never saw that before. Just noting it seems to be getting more blatant.

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
Uber riders don't deserve surge , its nice u have the opportunity to serve them without exploiting them , leave surge rides to pros, keep doing the hard work , don't get disturbed by surges as they are not for u

·
Registered
244 Posts
I never chase surge. I turn on and drop off where ever. I pick up close by my drop and at the end of the day I am thankful. If your work hard the surge will work it's way into your day.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Uber tracks your location at all times online and offline(if recently had the driver app open) so they knew exactly where you were about to pop up in the surge and the algorithm killed the surge.
This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the reason the surge disappeared. A huge surge isn't going to disappear just because one driver came online int he area. It either went down because lots of drivers became available in the area or pax demand went down in the area. Also very likely that the surge was already over when he tapped go online but because the uber driver app only polls the server for the current surge heatmap about once a minute, it takes a while sometimes to see the change.

While the app does track your location at all times, it would be pointless to make changes to surge based on the chance that someone could come online, as they would never know when that would happen ahead of time. There are thousands of drivers around all the time with the app tracking their location while offline. Walking in the streets, working in office towers, driving around on their own agenda, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They do it individually. They bait you with surge then when you come online they take it off of your screen while other drivers still see the area as surging it wont show up for you. Has happened plenty of times. Its not even covert anymore. Its so fucning obvious. Just ignore it when you are offline. Only take heed of it when youre online already.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts