Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven almost full time for a month and in the last week decided to chase the surge. In the morning, I decided to go to the eastern suburbs at 6am where the heat map displays a surge every single day in the morning. I drove to the centre of the surge but everytime I switch on the app, the surge has moved to the neighbouring area. I was getting pings for non surge jobs just next to the surge. I waited a full hour to purely to test to see if the surge returned and it never did despite shuffling around the area of the heat map. That afternoon, Bondi - same scenario. Today, I dropped off a passenger in Cammeray where it was surging and when I arrived, it was still surging but got a ping in the same area with no surge. I am now convinced, the entire surge thing is a scam to entice drivers to these hot spots only to remove it when they arrive. They must also know and detect your app even if you are offline.

To finally confirm my suspicions, I picked up a passenger from Bondi this morning where it was surging and by the time I picked up his job, surprise surprise - no surge. He informed me he had waited for over 15 minutes for a car to display till I accepted!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thanks mate, will look them up and should have read it before testing it out for myself!
Forewarned is forearmed. But you will also find some people who reckon they earn the same amount of money in fewer hours by only working the surges. I just work during the day as much as possible and pick up from where I am as much as possible. I get a few surged fares during the day, but they're generally not much money because they're only short fares anyway, and that's the whole reason the pax consented to them in the first place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forewarned is forearmed. But you will also find some people who reckon they earn the same amount of money in fewer hours by only working the surges. I just work during the day as much as possible and pick up from where I am as much as possible. I get a few surged fares during the day, but they're generally not much money because they're only short fares anyway, and that's the whole reason the pax consented to them in the first place.
I do the same now, just go where it takes me. Consistency is better than chasing. Let the Uber lottery work it's course. Just hope to see people waiting with luggage several times a shift and I'II be happy...

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
The surge has many uses... it also commits the riders to wait until surge decreases so Drivers will then soak up Riders in area. In the same way it seduces the drivers it seduces the riders to commit if they want to get a ride before the surge increases. Patterns of Illusion....

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
You can check the rider app to see if the surge is real. Not sure how much has changed since July but timing is a factor. It's best to get to a surge area while in low or no surge and you have to be close by. Otherwise too my drivers flood the area and the surge disappears.

Bondi and eastern suburbs starts to surge in the morning between 8-8:30am the last time I drove. Pre dinner I liked to chance a North Shore surge 6-6:30pm. Those times might have changed now it's Xmas.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I learnt a while back to not chase the surge....better the bird in the hand than a handful of nothing. I've lost count of the times where I have made drops near or in surge areas and had no surge. On the other hand some fairs I have taken being unaware they are or were surge fares until I drop them off. I just accept the pings as they come.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll head for a surge area if it's nearby but usually get a ping before I get there. I've also sat in the middle of surge areas getting nothing.

What I think is a complete waste of time is going offline and waiting until you're in a surge to come back on. You might get nothing, or your surge fare might be three blocks. Better to stay online and take what comes, in my view (exception being the CBD where I often go offline while I get out of there).

·
Premium Member
11,046 Posts
Don't chase the surge,

If you really want surge fares, best to place yourself in a potential surge area and wait for it..

Like Bondi during the mornings....problem is a high surge will probably be a short trip anyway.....

I'll go into a surge zone if it's bright red with over 2x , otherwise I take whatever pings come my way..

·
Banned
955 Posts
Its another feather in Uber's corrupt cap. Seriously this company needs to be independently audited on a number of scams they are running against drivers. Surge mirage, rigged ratings, privacy violations, and a raft of other unethical practices.

Not that I have anything to go on, but I wonder sometimes if a driver gets into a 'just out of zone' ping, if the rider is being charge surge ? Perhaps a few of you who work the red storm (I dont) might ask your pax what their app says.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
I chased a 3.0 surge last night - as I approached the puddle of surgeness evaporated to a 1.3 then nada :(
& just to rub salt in to the wound it surged to 2.5 where I had just left from :mad:

However I'd been watching it for an hour, on & off it was surging... so sat there app off watching the ants clean up the base rated cheapies.... then 8 mins later 'no cars' & the orange appears, then pink, then red & 1st was a 2.0 then a 4.1

After those jobs no more surge for the night - gone as I did back home ......

I now have a mental block, mentally I just cant pick up pax on base rates, I can't do it - makes me so angry, has to surge to accept - cannot touch the ping unless its surging & at 1.5+
:cool:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I chased a 3.0 surge last night - as I approached the puddle of surgeness evaporated to a 1.3 then nada :(
& just to rub salt in to the wound it surged to 2.5 where I had just left from :mad:

However I'd been watching it for an hour, on & off it was surging... so sat there app off watching the ants clean up the base rated cheapies.... then 8 mins later 'no cars' & the orange appears, then pink, then red & 1st was a 2.0 then a 4.1

After those jobs no more surge for the night - gone as I did back home ......

I now have a mental block, mentally I just cant pick up pax on base rates, I can't do it - makes me so angry, has to surge to accept - cannot touch the ping unless its surging & at 1.5+
:cool:
From the sound of it, you need that where you live to earn something decent from it.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
If I am far away from an unexpected surge I will drive towards it but stay online and pick up any non surge pings on transit.

More often than not I have caught surges I'm chasing if I'm close by.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Surges are real and that's why some people can get them! And yes, they are very dynamic and automatic so that's why they can vary based upon rider demand at any given time.

It takes a lot of courage, strategy and a little bit of luck to get one/them.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I don't particularly chase them although I watch them religiously -- I just get out there & do my thang & go home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts