Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch out for this scam from pax during surges!

I drive on the Monterey Peninsula so it is surrounded by water. I dropped off a pax and then saw that it was surging X3! Nice right? Get a ping right away of course. Then I realize this bastard placed his pin in the Pacific Ocean! Thus avoiding surge rate. Luckily I noticed that there was no surge on this ride and immediately cancelled the trip.
Next ping got me $10.50 for a 2 minute, 1.2 mile trip.

Watch out for this crap guys. These people will screw you to save $5-10.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
I wrote about this in another post, dead give away they usually call as soon as you stop your car because they are staring at the map.
They always say "I don't know what happened" but indicate they were aware of the wrong location.

My response: oh ok no problem where are you exactly? Ok!

Wait for the timer to expire Bam! Cancelled!

I never say I'm coming to get them, I'm just acknowledging that they are at the wrong location.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem I have is the A holes probably think they are so smart for finding a way to cheat the system. Hope he felt smart after I cancelled

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Problem I have is the A holes probably think they are so smart for finding a way to cheat the system. Hope he felt smart after I cancelled
Sometime times the phone app allows them to still call or text after cancelling, the voice to text translate got it a little wrong but you get the idea, where it says charger to he said "charge me too" hehehe don't drop your pin 5 blocks away from the peak surge...
Product Green Azure Rectangle Font

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I do not like the pin, do not like it at all. I keep telling passengers- enter the name of the establishment if you are at one, the exact address if you are at a residence, and only use the pin if you are standing on the side of a deserted road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup,
I do not like the pin, do not like it at all. I keep telling passengers- enter the name of the establishment if you are at one, the exact address if you are at a residence, and only use the pin if you are standing on the side of a deserted road.
and then they get mad at you for not figuring out where they were exactly. Hey PAXholes I go where the pin goes lol

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've seen people try this on me as well. Either take a screen shot of the surge map and then email uber for adjustment or go to the pin and wait the 5 minutes to collect cancellation.

What gets to me are the people that message you "I am at xyz street" after 3-5 minutes of me waiting at the address they originally requested. I always just wait it out or let them do a rider cancel, it's always past the 5 minute mark by the time they call anyway.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I have to be honest... I did this too. Except back in the day in Chicago before the honeycomb surge zones, I lived at the intersection of 3 surge zones. I would just walk a block in the cheaper area. Not really bad, in my opinion, since I just walked to the actual area. I didn't call and tell them to come in the surge.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
^^^^ Totally not the same. You were at the pin. You moved yourself to an area of less surge and then sent the ping out. Not a scam.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah girl tried to do that to me the other night. 2x surge , pin outside surge, calls me after I'm waiting at the pin "hey we are at popular bar in the middle of the surge ;) "
Sorry, I have no idea where that is, bye.

Cancel. Surge went higher. Got a better trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts