Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was my first time driving in a few weeks, and I noticed that surge across JAX seemed to follow some vastly different patterns than in 2016 (the last time I was driving consistently).

Two questions for anyone who might know:

1.) Is this the new norm? Surge appearing at random places and times?

2.) Did anyone pick up any actual rides during "off peak" surge? I got two surge rides between 1:15am and 2:00am, as I would expect when the bars close, but I saw surge downtown and at the beaches between 3:00-3:30am. Is that real surge or more of Uber trying to distribute drivers around?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
World Map Ecoregion White Light
Yesterday was my first time driving in a few weeks, and I noticed that surge across JAX seemed to follow some vastly different patterns than in 2016 (the last time I was driving consistently).

Two questions for anyone who might know:

1.) Is this the new norm? Surge appearing at random places and times?

2.) Did anyone pick up any actual rides during "off peak" surge? I got two surge rides between 1:15am and 2:00am, as I would expect when the bars close, but I saw surge downtown and at the beaches between 3:00-3:30am. Is that real surge or more of Uber trying to distribute drivers around?

Thanks in advance.
World Map Ecoregion White Light

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think it's just uber moving the ants. If I ran uber the goal would be to move ants so pax never pay a surge. As a driver my goal is to beat Uber's goal. Simply stated I know.

·
Registered
596 Posts
There are a couple things going on here.

1) Historical data. Uber learns peak times and charges accordingly. So there might not be any demand, it's just he price has gone up in an area that historically people have paid surge.
2) Real Surge, but not for long. Real surge can happen, when the demand overtakes the supply, the price goes up. However, most of the Jacksonville passengers have found out if you just wait 10-20 mins, the price will drop to normal.
3) Map movement. Uber will entice driver's to move their vehicles into an area that is lacking a driver cluster. There isn't any demand, and Uber is just spreading out the drivers for better coverage, and faster pickups.

I never drive to surge, mainly because of number 2. People will just wait out the price increase, and you will just end up aggravated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts