Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone able to explain when (time of application) surge price applies to a ride...had some false starts which I put down to inexperience and not understanding when surge price loading is triggered? ...
I understand the rate multiplier and the geography shown on the app map BUT WHEN does a surge price apply to the fare..
1. at the time the ping is accepted by the driver
2. at the time the driver arrives at the pickup,
3 at the moment pickup is enacted and the trip is started, or
4 other?

simple question, hope the answer is equally simple .. (or is it "at Uber discretion" to avoid multiple trip cancellations?)
couldnt find the answer on Uber FAQs or website only just promotional stuff on 'dynamic' pricing and how great it is...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Keep in mind that there is a lag between when a surge changes (higher or lower) on the driver app composted with the rider app

So you may think you are in a surge zone, but it has disappeared for the rider and they have requested the ride, but it's still showing a surge on your driver app

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes ... Ok, that explains my situation... I was in middle of surge area in Bondi..accepted a ping for only 2mins away but didnt get surge fee ... hard to believe an entire large area would disappear in one rapid step ... but what you say about the delay between actual situation and what displays on driver app map would explain...
I'm amazed at how many limitations the Uber app has and yet it never gets improved, or another competitor comes to the fore ... but, there you go...

·
Registered
188 Posts
The trip request is always shown with any surge factor applying
If you accept that trip, then that surge factor applies to the trip and all the usual conditions apply ie. Cancellation wait times etc

You need to always check that there is a surge with the trip request if you want a surge trip
You can't assume that because you are in the zone that the trip request comes with a surge price, it could be out of the zone or the surge has disappeared

·
Registered
72 Posts
in my experience the requester is usually in a pink / red zone. This might be an old image or simply different hailing from the US. I've added one from the other night.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've added one from the other night.
What's interesting about this one and many others I've captured is that the cell I'm in is actually 1.4x yet I'm only offered a 1.2x. I'm going to start asking passengers what their agreed surge rate is and start documenting these as I'm terrible suspicious of pricing differences between what passengers are charged and drivers are able to earn.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
What's interesting about this one and many others I've captured is that the cell I'm in is actually 1.4x yet I'm only offered a 1.2x. I'm going to start asking passengers what their agreed surge rate is and start documenting these as I'm terrible suspicious of pricing differences between what passengers are charged and drivers are able to earn.
Its simply because the rider requested the trip at 1.2. It then changed to 1.4

Or vice versa

·
Registered
168 Posts
Surge pricing applies as per the rider app, when the rider requests the ride. At the time the rider requests, if surge is in play, it tells the rider this and asks them to enter the surge multiplier in their ride request as a means of confirming and getting acceptance from the rider that the surge, and multiplier of surge is understood and agreed upon by the rider

Which also means all the riders who complain about surge is B S . A rider requesting a ride during surge is fully aware they are in surge, and are fully aware of the multiplier.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Surge pricing applies as per the rider app, when the rider requests the ride. At the time the rider requests, if surge is in play, it tells the rider this and asks them to enter the surge multiplier in their ride request as a means of confirming and getting acceptance from the rider that the surge, and multiplier of surge is understood and agreed upon by the rider

Which also means all the riders who complain about surge is B S . A rider requesting a ride during surge is fully aware they are in surge, and are fully aware of the multiplier.
All those people who you read about in the news who get caught with 8x surge on NYE are basically saying "I was blind drunk and got caught out. Now I am a big baby and crying about it."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts