Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Surge will be very rare thanks to long pickup fees. Now when you sit outside a bar or event waiting on the surge, it probably won't happen. Cars from further away will just come into the area to pick up and the fee gets passed along to the rider.

This is just a big bucket game that is moving the money around. Not sure it this will help driver's earnings or not in the long run.

Long pickup fee, higher wait time charges, and rider sharing their locations has moved my cheese.

I was always a driver that waited the 5 minutes and then moved on. If the rider shares their live location and are moving my direction, I now wait a few more minutes thanks to the higher wait rates. Will see what happens this weekend. Time to adjust and figure it out again.

Font Number Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
541 Posts
Surge will be very rare thanks to long pickup fees. Now when you sit outside a bar or event waiting on the surge, it probably won't happen. Car from further away will just come into the area to pick up and the fee gets passed along to the rider.
I'm pretty sure that that's not how it works. You get paid the surge for picking-up in a surge area, doesn't matter where you're coming from.

That and the long distance pick-up charges are something that pax are WELL aware of. I've had trips canceled when I've accepted a 15 or 20 minute pick-up. If they're not in a hurry, they just cancel and wait until they see an ant closer to the hill. And speaking of ants......

Don't you think that riders who see a screen full of ants will wonder why one will take 20mins to get to them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure that that's not how it works. You get paid the surge for picking-up in a surge area, doesn't matter where you're coming from.

That and the long distance pick-up charges are something that pax are WELL aware of. I've had trips canceled when I've accepted a 15 or 20 minute pick-up. If they're not in a hurry, they just cancel and wait until they see an ant closer to the hill. And speaking of ants......

Don't you think that riders who see a screen full of ants will wonder why one will take 20mins to get to them?
The fare example I used, it would equal about 1.4 surge fee to passenger. Many drivers, at bar closing time, sit with the app off and wait for the surge before going online. The passengers will not see the ants online because their apps are off. This will make surge smaller or none at all.

I think this is a game changer but haven't decided if it will be for the better.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The fare example I used, it would equal about 1.4 surge fee to passenger. Many drivers, at bar closing time, sit with the app off and wait for the surge before going online. The passengers will not see the ants online because their apps are off. This will make surge smaller or none at all.
Surges aren't created by Uber apps that are simply online. They're created by RIDE REQUESTS, and Uber DOES try to predict when a surge is about to occur, and start showing it on our maps. (Like when they get just a few, but in rapid succession, but that's just a guess). And pax can, and DO, sometimes wait for the surge to die before requesting a ride.

Sometimes the surge is just a blip. But if it sustains, every ant within a few miles will smell the sugar and start heading to it at flank speed.

I think it's more for guys like me, who sometimes feel like the only one out there. Not that I'm that busy, but I'll go online from Mundelein at 6am sometimes, and get pings from as far away as Palatine or Barrington. Like I said above, these pings have started to dry up, since Uber started charging for long pick-ups.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
A ride request has to be less than 10 minutes away (by my judgement, not Uber's estimate) before I'd accept it at any time of the day or night.

I still enforce the wait time limit. 3 basic rules for PAX:

1. Be where you said you'd be.
2. Be on time.
3. Violating 1 or 2 earns you a no-show fee.

I'll only extend if I see them coming towards me or they make the effort to call.

I've noticed that when i'm in a surge, I frequently get ride requests from well outside of the surge, but I've NEVER been outside a surge and gotten a ride request from inside of the surge.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think the blip I saw about long pick-ups, (which was late last summer), it was something like 10 or 15 minutes. After that, you would get regular "trip time" for time and distance. But there were a lot of caveats to it. Like, if they felt you weren't making an effort to get there in a timely manner, or if they felt you were taking unnecessary turns to pad-out the time it took you to get there.

I still haven't gotten any of those fees, and it seems like just floating it out there is killing it. I've been having those long pick-up pings cancel within seconds of accepting them. They just hang there until, as I put it before, they see ants closer to their hill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts