Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

SURGE BAIT AND SWITCH??? Where is the money?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BestInDaWest 
#1 ·
I can't figure out the Uber surge? I have seen $1-39 surge prices this week. When I drove I only did surge ride and did well though at the end of the night I saw my rides most had surge and the 2 Uber slipped in were $5.60 and $5.05 both 30 min rides from accepting, get to pickup, complete trip opposite direction, and then to get back. That would be all of 30min. How are people making $$$$ take out fuel at least and you are well below min wage. Why are people driving for this money? I would rather do 1 surge ride in hopes of making something decent then a standard $4 ride.
I am trying to figure out the new surge pricing. Seems like Uber are throughing high surge to get you to show up and if you get lucky to get a ride in that area you find that Uber only added a base fare on top of the surge price. No multiplier for the fare. Is this right now you just get the surge bonus and then the base pay to complete the trip? If this is the case you have to run around and wait near a $18 surge spot until you get a fare and complete it then on to next. How do we get people to stop driving until the surge is high? You would have to do less rides for same money. I just don't see how you make a living doing $5 rides. Would be great if you could just set your fare.

#2 ·
I havent seen any long distance fees or surges on my side. I tried to call uber but cant get them to pick up the phone. I got a ride 10 minites away and it showed $14 extra to pick up, after dropping off the app showed only $7.18 as my pay. Long distance is a joke too, your 15 minutes away but the minute you accept it it shows your 9 minutes away which negates the fee, uber said it was a "glitch". A word widely used by the overseas tech team. Oh well you only have two options take it or leave it, uber doesn't care which you choose.

#3 ·
Surge is mind boggling, there can be absolutely no cars on the road, no trips and price skyrockets, or busy as, and no surge, there seems to be no rhyme or reason,

i have learnt in my area to keep declining base fares and low surge prices, let every other driver jump ahead of me, and the price will keep rising,

I dont want the option to set my own price, but i do want the option to set my lowest surge price, so i dont get trips i dont want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.