Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The strike was a bust. The leaders have passion but no real organizational skills to build a database of drivers. Until they have a few thousand drivers they can count on, it is silly to try to strike.

But the California Highway Patrol pissed off enough Uber passengers in a way that the strikers never could.

Apparently after Uber drivers left the red lot at the Super Bowl to deliver someone maybe to their car a few blocks away, there was no way to get back to the Red lot to pick up another pax. .

The CHP had blocked every possible entry way to Great America Parkway from all freeways and side roads.

And since Uber has no telephone support there was absolutely no way that any driver could've informed Uber about what was going on right under their noses.

Uber paid $500,000 to the NFL only to piss off lots passengers coming from the Super Bowl who wanted to get an Uber but found there were no cars in the lot after the first 500 left.

Uber was sending text messages literally begging drivers to come back to the lot without knowing that it was impossible for drivers to come back to the lot thanks to the cops.

Lots of angry Uber passengers who could not get a ride. And drivers got screwed too, missing out on some 2.4 or 2.8 surge rides.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The leaders of this "strike" attempt have no leadership skills. Screaming about shutting down the Superbowl was just plain ridiculous. Shutting down the Uber lot was attainable, but these guys choose to attempt something the vast majority didn't want to participate in.

Uber drivers need a Union. And since California considers UberX drivers employees, a union could be formed. The drivers need to start meeting with some of the Unions and figure out how to get represented.

In the meantime, they need to start lobbying the politicians. Go up to the capital and start talking to their representatives. Make phone calls. Write letters.

Honking your horns and screaming in mini megaphones is not working.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The strike was a bust. The leaders have passion but no real organizational skills to build a database of drivers. Once they have a few thousand drivers they can count on, it is silly to try to strike.

But the California Highway Patrol pissed off enough Uber passengers in a way that the strikers never could.

Apparently after Uber drivers left the red lot at the Super Bowl to deliver someone maybe to their car a few blocks away, there was no way to get back to the Red lot to pick up another pax. .

The CHP had blocked every possible entry way to Great America Parkway from all freeways and side roads.

And since Uber has no telephone support there was absolutely no way that any driver could've informed Uber that was going on right under their noses.

Uber paid $500,000 to the NFL only to piss off lots passengers coming from the Super Bowl who wanted to get an Uber but found there were no cars in the lot after the first 500 left.

Uber was sending text messages literally begging drivers to come back to the lot without knowing that it was impossible for drivers to come back to the lot thanks to the cops.

Lots of angry Uber passengers who could not get a ride. And drivers got screwed too, missing out on some 2.4 or 2.8 surge rides.
THAT'S GREAT NEWS! Uber probably lowered their 500k commitment to the NFL without telling them! Maybe Uber didn't pay at all.
UBER IS THE LOWEST FORM OF CORPORATE SCUM I'VE EVER SEEN! There will be consequences for their practices!

·
Registered
570 Posts
The strike was a bust. The leaders have passion but no real organizational skills to build a database of drivers. Once they have a few thousand drivers they can count on, it is silly to try to strike.

And since Uber has no telephone support there was absolutely no way that any driver could've informed Uber of the cluster f**k that was going on right under their noses.

as a rider, you couldn't even request a ride from the pickup location.. the area around there just showed the "Big Game" logo on the rider app. you had to travel north for the app to work.

·
Registered
270 Posts
A strike will not work. Are McDonald's employees unionized in California? They probably have more training than Uber drivers, and I am not joking. Unless you are a child molester, you can drive Uber (and who even knows about that one). A union only works in skilled fields.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

And since Uber has no telephone support there was absolutely no way that any driver could've informed Uber that was going on right under their noses.

The phoenix open golf tournament It was surging at 4.8 but took 30 minutes to get into the lot and 30 minutes to get out. Passengers where getting charged the time to get out of the lot at high surge rates and were pissed off. There were hundreds of people waiting hours to get rides. I avoided the lot but was next to three people pinging for rides but uber sent them cars on other side of course 30 minutes away with road closures. Uber doesn't work well at huge events trying to find the exact customer is like try to find a needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The phoenix open golf tournament It was surging at 4.8 but took 30 minutes to get into the lot and 30 minutes to get out. Passengers where getting charged the time to get out of the lot at high surge rates and were pissed off. There were hundreds of people waiting hours to get rides. I avoided the lot but was next to three people pinging for rides but uber sent them cars on other side of course 30 minutes away with road closures. Uber doesn't work well at huge events trying to find the exact customer is like try to find a needle in a haystack.
In Uber's defense, they had it pretty well organized. Easy to get in and out. Once you got pinged, you drove from staging to park in a numbered stall. I got a call from an Uber employee asking me for my stall number, which she passed to the pax. There were lots of hired hands to direct traffic and keep things moving.

So Uber did a good job, lots of signage, a nice tent, coffee for drivers. They just did not anticipate or plan for the road closures, which pretty much negated all the other good work, leading to upset pax and drivers. The cops did what the striker could only dream of doing. They kind of shut it down although that wasn't their intent.

Trying to stop and even talk to a cop to let them know what was happening just got a nasty cop screaming at me, pushing me back in my car, slamming my door and threatening to arrest me if I didn't keep moving. There just wasn't that much grid lock. Lots of people came down from SF on chartered buses. All my trips were local, just a few minutes away to areas where the pax had parked their car for free.

BTW, in a world of $13 Bud's and $2,500+ tickets, not one single tip. Not even a dollar. These people are either incredibly cheap or Uber has them convinced that the tip is included. Or worse, they hold us in such disdain they don't think we are even worth tipping. We are thought of as sub-human servants.

No tip = 3 stars. No matter how nice. No matter if they were ready to go, entered the actual pick up addresses, or anything else. A 5 star passenger tips. Period.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The leaders of this "strike" attempt have no leadership skills. Screaming about shutting down the Superbowl was just plain rediculous. Shutting down the Uber lot was attainable, but these guys choose to attempt something the vast majority didn't want to participate in.

Uber drivers need a Union. And since California considers UberX drivers employees, a union could be formed. The drivers need to start meeting with some of the Unions and figure out how to get represented.

In the meantime, they need to start lobbying the politicians. Go up to the capital and start talking to their representatives. Make phone calls. Write letters.

Honking your horns and screaming in mini megaphones is not working.
Mario is a media prince with a huge ego, a lot of passion, but not too smart. Lying and exaggerating to the press because he has no organization is pathetic. Although I will give him credit for making the public aware of just how evil Uber really is. Uber lies, so Mario lies too.

NBC had a satellite truck and a reporter there at 9 am plus tons of cops expecting the 9,000 Uber drivers that Mario promised. They all took off by 10 am once they realized there was no story there.

There were actually less than 100 drivers. There was a nice free BBQ, but then the meeting devolved into a screaming match between Mario and an Afgan guy over Mario promoting a competing ride sharing service.

I left and went to try to make some money. The lemon chicken was pretty good though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. A Union will mean more fees..
And would never work. It would be like unionizing the local McDonald's. One of the biggest jokes I ever saw in college was cashiers and baggers at Kroger unionized. They paid dues making minimum wage! They could be replaced with the next high school junior or senior, so who cares if they quit or went on strike?

·
Registered
413 Posts
In Uber's defense, they had it pretty well organized. Easy to get in and out. Once you got pinged, you drove from staging to park in a numbered stall. I got a call from an Uber employee asking me for my stall number, which she passed to the pax. There were lots of hired hands to direct traffic and keep things moving.

So Uber did a good job, lots of signage, a nice tent, coffee for drivers. They just did not anticipate or plan for the road closures, which pretty much negated all the other good work, leading to upset pax and drivers. The cops did what the striker could only dream of doing. They kind of shut it down although that wasn't their intent.

Trying to stop and even talk to a cop to let them know what was happening just got a nasty cop screaming at me, pushing me back in my car, slamming my door and threatening to arrest me if I didn't keep moving. There just wasn't that much grid lock. Lots of people came down from SF on chartered buses. All my trips were local, just a few minutes away to areas where the pax had parked their car for free.

BTW, in a world of $13 Bud's and $2,500+ tickets, not one single tip. Not even a dollar. These people are either incredibly cheap or Uber has them convinced that the tip is included. Or worse, they hold us in such disdain they don't think we are even worth tipping. We are thought of as sub-human servants.

No tip = 3 stars. No matter how nice. No matter if they were ready to go, entered the actual pick up addresses, or anything else. A 5 star passenger tips. Period.
I'm giving your post a LIKE except for the first two paragraphs. Uber is at "The Point of No Return" for MOST drivers. We will never forgive them for the blatant disdain they've shown toward us and our financial needs.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Was it even surging?
It started off at 1.5 (in Santa Clara, and all surrounding cities). Then it jumped to 2.0 after a while. I still sat tight and then it eventually crawled to 2.5. That's when I went online and got a request at 2.6

It was very stupid of CHP to block off Red Lot 7 completely. There was literally no way to get to the "designated pick up spot" Uber told all drivers to go to and forced all riders to request from. lol

Luckily I found a sweet parking spot at America Center (maybe a 6 minutes walking distance from Red Lot 7) and luckily my customer was smart enough to realize if he walks to me it's a win-win (as every single road to Levi Stadium was completely blocked off and there really was no other way). Sometimes customers are so self entitled and pissy about having to walk. This ride sharing idea works best when both parties are willing to work together. Some customers are so lazy, it's insane. I truly admire the customers that appreciate our service.

I got lucky with a 2.6 for about 50 ish miles
My buddy got a 2.6 for 26 miles

SF and SJ were packed (of course) but not overly packed and I didn't do as well as I thought I would. I worked 35 hours between Fri/Sat/Sun.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.