Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes! You have 30 days to opt out of the arbitration clause from the time you last "accept" the agreement. You must do it by mail or email. If you consult an attorney, they will likely tell you NOT to sign the agreement. There is NOTHING in the agreement that helps you as a driver. You even acknowledge that if Uber is fined by the Government, that you as a driver will pay the fine! And the driver is responsible to follow all of the laws and regulations in a region, even if Uber does not, and you agree to pay the penalties and fines for not complying with the law. You agree that YOU are responsible for the passenger, your own car, your own safety, and any risks of driving for Uber, its all on you. I am no lawyer, but you may want to consult one about the agreement.

If you do not "opt-out" you are agreeing to pay for half of the fees in arbitration, agree to Uber's maximum liability (which is essentially the amount of one fare, recently lowered from $500), and you basically may not join in on any action or lawsuit involving Uber.

Here's the link to the April 3, 2015 agreement: https://uber-regulatory-documents.s...sportation Company Agreement April 7 2015.pdf

And here is the "Opt-out" language:

viii. Your Right To Opt Out Of Arbitration. Arbitration is not a mandatory condition of your contractual relationship with Uber. If You do not want to be subject to this Arbitration Provision, You may opt out of this Arbitration Provision by notifying Uber in writing of Your desire to opt out of this Arbitration Provision, which writing must be dated, signed and delivered by electronic mail to o[email protected], by U.S. Mail, or by any nationally recognized delivery service (e.g, UPS, Federal Express, etc.), or by hand delivery to: General Counsel Uber Technologies, Inc. 1455 Market St., Ste. 400 San Francisco CA 94103 In order to be effective, the writing must clearly indicate Your intent to opt out of this Arbitration Provision and the envelope containing the signed writing must be received (if delivered by hand) or post-marked within 30 days of the date this Agreement is executed by You. Your writing opting out of this Arbitration Provision will be filed with a copy of this Agreement and maintained by Uber. Should You not opt out of this Arbitration Provision within the 30-day period, You and Uber shall be bound by the terms of this Arbitration Provision. You have the right to consult with counsel of Your choice concerning this Arbitration Provision. You understand that You will not be subject to retaliation if You exercise Your right to assert claims or opt-out of coverage under this Arbitration Provision.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yes! You have 30 days to opt out of the arbitration clause from the time you last "accept" the agreement. You must do it by mail or email. If you consult an attorney, they will likely tell you NOT to sign the agreement. There is NOTHING in the agreement that helps you as a driver. You even acknowledge that if Uber is fined by the Government, that you as a driver will pay the fine! And the driver is responsible to follow all of the laws and regulations in a region, even if Uber does not, and you agree to pay the penalties and fines for not complying with the law. You agree that YOU are responsible for the passenger, your own car, your own safety, and any risks of driving for Uber, its all on you. I am no lawyer, but you may want to consult one about the agreement.

If you do not "opt-out" you are agreeing to pay for half of the fees in arbitration, agree to Uber's maximum liability (which is essentially the amount of one fare, recently lowered from $500), and you basically may not join in on any action or lawsuit involving Uber.

Here's the link to the April 3, 2015 agreement: https://uber-regulatory-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/country/united_states/licensed/Transportation Company Agreement April 7 2015.pdf

viii. Your Right To Opt Out Of Arbitration. Arbitration is not a mandatory condition of your contractual relationship with Uber. If You do not want to be subject to this Arbitration Provision, You may opt out of this Arbitration Provision by notifying Uber in writing of Your desire to opt out of this Arbitration Provision, which writing must be dated, signed and delivered by electronic mail to [email protected], by U.S. Mail, or by any nationally recognized delivery service (e.g, UPS, Federal Express, etc.), or by hand delivery to: General Counsel Uber Technologies, Inc. 1455 Market St., Ste. 400 San Francisco CA 94103 In order to be effective, the writing must clearly indicate Your intent to opt out of this Arbitration Provision and the envelope containing the signed writing must be received (if delivered by hand) or post-marked within 30 days of the date this Agreement is executed by You. Your writing opting out of this Arbitration Provision will be filed with a copy of this Agreement and maintained by Uber. Should You not opt out of this Arbitration Provision within the 30-day period, You and Uber shall be bound by the terms of this Arbitration Provision. You have the right to consult with counsel of Your choice concerning this Arbitration Provision. You understand that You will not be subject to retaliation if You exercise Your right to assert claims or opt-out of coverage under this Arbitration Provision.
Uber BS, transportation use to be easy you hail a cab you pay the fare plus tip and you go your business look now opt in opt out no tips low rates ! F Uber.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info UberPartner101. From what your telling me it appears it's not possible to opt out in writing until the next app update as 30 days from the last one has past. I'll go ahead anyways and see what happens. My driving days for FUBAR are all but over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found a site uberlawsuit.com , I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not. Good info re: opt-out and what to do if you didn't opt out in time. I sent an email to them to opt me out.

My fear was retaliation. According to this law site, they can Not fire me nor retaliate. I guess I shall find out.

Hope I was of help to someone.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Anyone know if there's an option on opting out when app has to be updated or otherwise?

Here's the link to the April 3, 2015 agreement: https://uber-regulatory-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/country/united_states/licensed/Transportation Company Agreement April 7 2015.pdf

viii. Your Right To Opt Out Of Arbitration. Arbitration is not a mandatory condition of your contractual relationship with Uber. If You do not want to be subject to this Arbitration Provision, You may opt out of this Arbitration Provision by notifying Uber in writing of Your desire to opt out of this Arbitration Provision, which writing must be dated, signed and delivered by electronic mail to [email protected], by U.S. Mail, or by any nationally recognized delivery service (e.g, UPS, Federal Express, etc.), or by hand delivery to: General Counsel Uber Technologies, Inc. 1455 Market St., Ste. 400 San Francisco CA 94103 In order to be effective, the writing must clearly indicate Your intent to opt out of this Arbitration Provision and the envelope containing the signed writing must be received (if delivered by hand) or post-marked within 30 days of the date this Agreement is executed by You. Your writing opting out of this Arbitration Provision will be filed with a copy of this Agreement and maintained by Uber. Should You not opt out of this Arbitration Provision within the 30-day period, You and Uber shall be bound by the terms of this Arbitration Provision. You have the right to consult with counsel of Your choice concerning this Arbitration Provision. You understand that You will not be subject to retaliation if You exercise Your right to assert claims or opt-out of coverage under this Arbitration Provision.
I found a site uberlawsuit.com , I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not. Good info re: opt-out and what to do if you didn't opt out in time. I sent an email to them to opt me out.

My fear was retaliation. According to this law site, they can Not fire me nor retaliate. I guess I shall find out.

Hope I was of help to someone.
If you are past the 30 day opt out threshold you should still go to uberlawsuit.com and register.

There is a good chance the Uber opt out clause will be thrown out in court.

Even if the class action clause is not thrown out, the law firm will still represent you on an INDIVIDUAL basis. But you must still register with them.

Uberlawsuit.com

Reactions: cls225
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.