Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I pick up "Old Town Money" to go out to Cleveland Park. Uber Nav says GW PKWY to 395 to exit toward Memorial Bridge. I should have just stayed on the parkway because those exits by the Pentagon going south are tricky and tough to take with traffic. I missed it and had to double back on GW PKWY by DCA. I get on Route 1 North to 110 to Arlington Cemetary tell the pax I stop the trip on Rock Creek Pkwy to make up for my gaffe and I still get her to UDC in plenty of time. I thought I rehabbed her well enough to not blast me. Oh well the human factor. Had I known this I would have errrrrr made a wrong turn toward Nats park where traffic was horrendous....

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
Two things

Be careful about ending trips early with PAX in the car. I think UBer insurance may end as well.

Pax will punish you for wrong turns regardless of what you do to lessen the impact to their wallet.

·
25,712 Posts
If you stay on the GW Parkway, just follow the signs to Memorial Bridge. Basically, after you pass the Fourteenth Street Bridge and Navy/Marine Corps Memorial, you stay to the left until you see the bridge, then go to the right and stay there to get onto Rock Creek Park. You take the first ramp to the right after you cross the Water, go back under the bridge, then stay to the left, go under the Kennedy Centre and get onto Rock Creek Park.

I will look at Uber's Jippy Yess just to see what it reads. I have seen many flaws. The one that zapped you is a lack of clarity on the names of the roads. Because I know the roads, I do know when there is a lack of clarity, but, I also know what to do. I know the way that it was trying to send you and it was a waste of time and distance. I do have the advantage of knowing the roads, said advantage gained from years of experience. So much for what the Boston Globe published about a hacker and his experience.

The funny thing was had you actually stayed on 395 South, once you had started to follow the Jippy Yess' flawed directions, there is an exit for H-Road that would have taken you the same way without all the doubling back.

My favourite flaw on Uber's Jippy Yess is when you get a customer in Clowntown who is going to Capitol Hill. The Jippy Yess always wants to send you through Virginia.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
So yesterday I pick up "Old Town Money" to go out to Cleveland Park. Uber Nav says GW PKWY to 395 to exit toward Memorial Bridge. I should have just stayed on the parkway because those exits by the Pentagon going south are tricky and tough to take with traffic. I missed it and had to double back on GW PKWY by DCA. I get on Route 1 North to 110 to Arlington Cemetary tell the pax I stop the trip on Rock Creek Pkwy to make up for my gaffe and I still get her to UDC in plenty of time. I thought I rehabbed her well enough to not blast me. Oh well the human factor. Had I known this I would have errrrrr made a wrong turn toward Nats park where traffic was horrendous....
The GW parkway is tricky, well was tricky. I have it all down pat now. Esp coming across like 14th street bridge and getting on parkway in opp direction of the airport, lot of loop dee loops on that route!!

But if you miss a turn don't sweat it. We aren't perfect, its going to happen. Just try to be nice and explain you made a mistake. I wouldn't really make a fuss at the pax if it was your fault, but if course if they get disrespectful, then you pull over to the side of the parkway and let them out,and hope they get hit. Just joking of course but I would end the ride and let them out and the nearest safest place

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've only been back driving twice now but in those 2 times I've had several gps mistakes.
One was going down conn. avenue from Chevy chase to Hilton which is a straight shot all he way down. The navigator told me to turn left on east west hgwy , so I did thinking going down beach was faster. But then it wanted to take me in a u turn thru the back neighborhoods back onto conn avenue. I noticed as soon as I turned on east west and was able to make a quick u turn and explained to pax who were very cool about it but why it had me turn I have no idea. Then going to take someone home the gps tells me to turn right on a street when it was left. I followed pax directions , which was opposite of gps but pax was right. Another time it also wanted to take me in a circle for no reason.
I have made quite a few mistakes in the past with wrong turns and I know the area pretty well, however I've never had any problems with pax. I tell them we don't know where they are going before they get in and we have to follow the gps and sometimes due to buildings , satellite , ect... it goes off a little and everyone understands. You just have to know how to explore it

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I can't believe it. An Uber driver missed a turn. What's going to happen next, something on the internet that's not true??

OR more likely...

Dude I miss turns all the time. Of course pax whines about it. They'll pay anyway, they don't have a choice. Just get it right next time. It's all you can do.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought it was an upfront FARE

NO need to end trip early right?????
its an upfront quote. obviously if you miss a turn or go across the wilson bridge instead of gw parkway you feel like you owe the customer back something. But ending trip was wrong due to insurance purpopses...........bottom line i have long moved passed this.......

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't believe it. An Uber driver missed a turn. What's going to happen next, something on the internet that's not true??

OR more likely...

Dude I miss turns all the time. Of course pax whines about it. They'll pay anyway, they don't have a choice. Just get it right next time. It's all you can do.
Can you believe it?? I missed a turn lol lol

·
Premium Member
23,978 Posts
If I do hit a wrong turn, or want to go a different way than the GPS says, I say to the passenger 'with what Uber pays, I'd have to take you to Cleveland to make it worthwhile to take you the wrong way.'

They always chuckle & say no problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I miss turns every now and then. It's human nature. I think a missed turn was the reason why my PAX contacted HQ and told them I was DUI. Got deactivated for the night. Fugg these people. Well, not all of them, just that one yacht club member.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts