Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from stride health insurance thru uber agreement they have. Anyone else get the email. Do you know anyone that joined the plan? Is it reasonable and fair?

--------------
3 simple ways to save on health insurance
As you think about your health insurance options for 2017, Stride has 3 simple tips for finding your most affordable plan. Most Uber drivers that use Stride pay $75 a month or less on health insurance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there, I work at Stride Health and wanted to chime in here to help out! Just to clarify, we're not an insurance carrier, we're a platform that helps you find the best insurance plan. Here's more information on what we offer.

Gentry, I'm sorry it looked like your doctor didn't accept any of the plans. Early in Open Enrollment, doctors take a while to report on which insurance carriers they accept for the year. Your doctor likely accepts several of the carriers you were comparing but hasn't informed networks that convey that information. Once your doctor updates their information in insurance databases, it'll be accurate and displayed. In the meantime, it's best to call their office to confirm what carriers they accept.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there, I work at Stride Health and wanted to chime in here to help out! Just to clarify, we're not an insurance carrier, we're a platform that helps you find the best insurance plan. Here's more information on what we offer.

Gentry, I'm sorry it looked like your doctor didn't accept any of the plans. Early in Open Enrollment, doctors take a while to report on which insurance carriers they accept for the year. Your doctor likely accepts several of the carriers you were comparing but hasn't informed networks that convey that information. Once your doctor updates their information in insurance databases, it'll be accurate and displayed. In the meantime, it's best to call their office to confirm what carriers they accept.

Please let me know if you have more questions!
Do you know average % savings? I currently pay about $4,500 a year for myself only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you know average % savings? I currently pay about $4,500 a year for myself only.
The average Stride member (and a large portion of our member base are uber drivers) pays $150 per month in insurance which amounts to $1,800 a year. For how much you'll save, it really depends on your income for 2017 -- we particularly help drivers with their income estimation because the lower your income, the more in subsidies drivers qualify for. The problem is most drivers don't estimate their income after expenses (like mileage) have been deducted. Just like with your taxes, you're able to deduct expenses like mileage to lower your income estimate. (Here's an article we wrote to help)

Let me know if you have any more questions! Happy to help :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Also keep in mind that if your income falls BELOW a certain level in Georgia -- you don't qualify for ANY subsidies. You are basically flat out of luck, since the Governor refused to extend Medicare to those however many people fell into the gap. Also, I suspect that the ACA will no longer exist very soon. I'm not even sure if I should waste my time trying to sign up for next years policy. Sad.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I hope so. I also didn't care for the way they created the ACA (lobbyists) -- but, it was better than nothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gentry, you're correct that GA (my home state as well) is among the states that haven't expanded Medicaid, and thus leaves tens of thousands of residents without an affordable coverage option. Typically that threshold is ~$11,000 for a single person, so if you earn more than that but under $46K, you'll likely be eligible for subsidies (it varies county to county).

In terms of the future of ACA: It will certainly be interesting to see how it evolves. But one thing is for certain: 2017 plans will not be impacted. So if you buy insurance this year during open enrollment (Nov - Jan 2017), your insurance plan and subsidy will stay in effect for the entire year. It's a grace period that lawmakers can't change (most likely, they won't enact any changes for the next 2 years).

Most replacements lawmakers are proposing (like Paul Ryan's Better Way) will keep subsidies and the mandate that requires insurance companies to provide coverage to Americans with pre-existing conditions. But many proposals change how subsidies will be distributed (for example, Ryan's proposal gives subsides based on age, not income), and give insurance companies more power in dictating prices. Which means plan pricing may go up for millions of Americans under Republican proposed plans.

Hopefully any future changes will put consumers first and make health coverage more affordable for all Americans -- we're certainly advocating for that here at Stride.

Keep the conversation and questions coming!

·
Banned
640 Posts
Well the $46000 isnt accurate. My son made 9000 when he fell off of my insurance. We fudged the numbers so he coul get the subsidy. He was covered for 5 months until he got a job paying $28000. His final income for the year was 26k and he had to pay back all of the subsidy he got for 5 months. On top of that, he had a BCBS plan and couldn't find a doctor in his small town that would take it. They would take any other BCBS, but not ones on the exchange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well the $46000 isnt accurate. My son made 9000 when he fell off of my insurance. We fudged the numbers so he coul get the subsidy. He was covered for 5 months until he got a job paying $28000. His final income for the year was 26k and he had to pay back all of the subsidy he got for 5 months. On top of that, he had a BCBS plan and couldn't find a doctor in his small town that would take it. They would take any other BCBS, but not ones on the exchange.
Sorry to hear you had that issue -- the $46,000 is a national average. As I said, it varies from county to county and city to city, for my home of Chatham County in GA, the threshold for subsidy qualification is lower ($35,000) but in a city like San Francisco the threshold is high ($50,000) thus the national average is ~$46,000.

As a rule of thumb, its best to always check with your local doctor what plans they take before purchasing any policy.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went thru healthcare.gov . Big savings after subsidy considering I dont make much. But its HMO and I could be in for surprises including prescriptions I take. Time will tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts