Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
London Black Cab company has been testing their full time drivers via EEG (electroencephalogram/brain-scanner) on their calm/stress and focus levels of driving the classic 'diesel' Black Cab vs. the recently deployed 'electric' Black Cabs. Results were significant.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/104016920/driving-an-ev-makes-you-less-stressed-more-focused

I noticed after swapping out my Maxima for my Leaf immediatly that I felt less on-edge when stuck in traffic or driving in general (unless in the last 10km of vehicles range!)

Nice to see some scientific studies back up that feeling.

It certainly makes for a more 'chill' attitude when doing ride-share, even with all the variables on the road and in the PAX pick-ups. Of course, you could drive a very high end Audi or Mercedes that achieves this quiet via dampening, but the maintenance and fuel costs might cause other forms of stress, particularly if you are doing ride-share with a luxury vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
It's always nice to see that driving stress can be managed with a change like this. It's win-win which is the best kind of winning!

I think the study supports something many of us have long suspected: that lower noise levels and a cheaper motive cost, especially in stop and go traffic will reduce stress. That you might be more alert is a bonus I wouldn't have suspected.

Still, even though I think they are on to an empirical truth the experiment has one large flaw that I can see. In order to prove things conclusively you have to have a stable statistical base. What I mean here is that the drivers have to be equally at home in both types of vehicles. Ideally they should have a large sample of drivers who switch back and forth between both types of vehicles. Without that the novelty effect of the electric car would swamp the results. They may have accounted for this. You would have to see the methodology.

I know that in my hybrid, in stop and go traffic I am much more relaxed knowing that machinery is not whirring and fuel not being burned.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
What happen if you EV car is stuck in traffic for 2 hours with 20% battery left?

This is why Hybrid is the future..
It charges ifself by the wheels..
Or..
By turning the engine on ( gas ).
Or..
Solar roof..

Plug in EV do none of that. GL

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What happen if you EV car is stuck in traffic for 2 hours with 20% battery left?

This is why Hybrid is the future..
It charges ifself by the wheels..
Or..
By turning the engine on ( gas ).
Or..
Solar roof..

Plug in EV do none of that. GL
If you are stuck in traffic, an EV is so hyper-efficient (they are essentially using ZERO energy while stuck in traffic and inching forward...)

My 7 year old Nissan Leaf gets:
  • 75km on Highway at 120km/hr
  • 125km in Toronto doing 40km/hour
  • >160km stuck in traffic doing 2km/h.

I think they are on to an empirical truth the experiment has one large flaw that I can see. In order to prove things conclusively you have to have a stable statistical base. What I mean here is that the drivers have to be equally at home in both types of vehicles. Ideally they should have a large sample of drivers who switch back and forth between both types of vehicles. Without that the novelty effect of the electric car would swamp the results. They may have accounted for this. You would have to see the methodology.
This was largely accounted for in the methodology of the study. Their population of drivers (admittedly, I do not know whether or not this is 3 or 300!) had all spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of both Diesel and Electric cars, so 'novelty' was removed from experimental error/variability.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
London Black Cab company has been testing their full time drivers via EEG (electroencephalogram/brain-scanner) on their calm/stress and focus levels of driving the classic 'diesel' Black Cab vs. the recently deployed 'electric' Black Cabs. Results were significant.

I noticed after swapping out my Maxima for my Leaf immediate that I felt less on-edge when stuck in traffic or driving in general (unless in the last 10km of vehicles range!)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/104016920/driving-an-ev-makes-you-less-stressed-more-focused

It certainly makes for a more 'chill' attitude when doing ride-share, even with all the variables on the road and in the PAX pick-ups.
If you are stuck in traffic, an EV is so hyper-efficient (they are essentially using ZERO energy while stuck in traffic and inching forward...)

My 7 year old Nissan Leaf gets:
  • 75km on Highway at 120km/hr
  • 125km in Toronto doing 40km/hour
  • >160km stuck in traffic doing 2km/h.
Oh yea,well my ten speed bike only requires 4 grams of oil and can go 45km downhill
Mic drop you ve been served

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts

I noticed after swapping out my Maxima for my Leaf immediatly that I felt less on-edge when stuck in traffic or driving in general (unless in the last 10km of vehicles range!)

It certainly makes for a more 'chill' attitude when doing ride-share, even with all the variables on the road and in the PAX pick-ups. Of course, you could drive a very high end Audi or Mercedes that achieves this quiet via dampening, but the maintenance and fuel costs might cause other forms of stress, particularly if you are doing ride-share with a luxury vehicle.
I read the article, but still don't understand the logic behind their conclusions. Driving a different type of vehicle still doesn't change your driving conditions of your interactions with other drivers, pedestrians and annoying cyclists? So, the study might border on pseudo science, as the scientific method was not followed, as no control was created to compare the EV drivers with the non-EV drivers. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
19,592 Posts
Where would you be stuck that long? .... I doubt here in the city you would ever run out... the charging stations are literally everywhere. If you are stuck and not moving, you're not consuming much.

Obviously a bike is more efficient than a car. Try doing ride-share on a bike (built for two or more)

Limo of the bike world lol

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I read the article, but still don't understand the logic behind their conclusions. Driving a different type of vehicle still doesn't change your driving conditions of your interactions with other drivers, pedestrians and annoying cyclists? So, the study might border on pseudo science, as the scientific method was not followed, as no control was created to compare the EV drivers with the non-EV drivers. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
In science the results are independent of the theory. You don't have to understand why it is so to have a useful, replicable effect. That it predicts is what is important.

Without seeing the methodology we can't be sure the study is solid. It was done, however, at a respected university and it is doubtful it would have made it very far if there were methodological errors. That's what peer-reviewing is for. We count on experts to do these janitorial analyses for us otherwise we wouldn't have enough time to cover very much at all. I assume that the study is a good one and when the results are replicated in more studies it will firm up the truth of their conclusions.

It has been in vogue, lately, to shout "Fake News!" and make a charge of pseudo science. It's easy to do and undermines people who are genuinely working in good faith. It takes at least 10-100x the work to undo the doubt created by false charges. That's why this new tool of rhetoric is being used so much now. It's effective. Misguided, even willful lying but effective nonetheless. It is often intentionally done to subvert the truth.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You failed to understand the study. It is the same pool of drivers that are 'seasoned' on driving both EV and Diesel cars on their every-day work day, which over enough days worth of data would average out the 'micro-interactions' between road conditions and traffic. They then look at the parts of the brain activity that show 'focus' and 'calm' and look at the magnitude of the EEG numbers to see if drivers are 'more stressed' or 'less stressed' and 'more focused' or 'less focused' over the day, or at specific windows of the day.

The EEG data was statistically significant (p-value) in that the EV drives had the same drivers both less stressed and more focused.

I agree with ATHOS that I would like to see both the study and the statistical calculations to see just 'how significant' the results are, and what assumptions are being made here.

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
I can tell you I am less stressed driving an EV than when I drove a non EV for sure. Knowing I am not burning fuel sitting in traffic takes my stress level down 3 notches.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I can tell you I am less stressed driving an EV than when I drove a non EV for sure. Knowing I am not burning fuel sitting in traffic takes my stress level down 3 notches.
I feel the same in my hybrid when it goes full electric both at stops and when you are creeping in traffic.

Looking at the article again I notice there were only four drivers, we assume they were properly acclimatized to the EV and we assume they weren't paying for the fuel or electricity.

In the first place a sample of four is fine for an initial study but a larger sample would have been better if you wanted more confidence. Secondly, we can only hope that the EV novelty factor wasn't there. We can't really tell from the article. Finally, if the drivers were not paying the costs and we assume that the cheaper motive power would be a lot less stressful, their results if drivers were paying would have shown a bigger difference in stress and more strongly support their conclusion.

All-in-all a strong, non-monetary argument for an EV. Note that the lead researcher is an acoustics expert. It would be neat to see if there could be found a difference between a normal diesel and an EV with an added artificial sound of a diesel. That would show the sound component to the stress.

An EV sure is quiet. Maybe in your purchase calculations you could factor in an initial cost saving due to the lesser requirement of a killer, monster stereo. Maybe insurance companies will eventually factor in some savings if the quieter ride proves safer for various reasons.

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
When you get almost 1700KM on a 30L Tank pushing 1.8 L/100km that always brings a smile from ear to ear.

Maybe insurance companies will eventually factor in some savings if the quieter ride proves safer for various reasons.
My insurance went down $200 a year when i switched from my Mazda 3. Don't think that is because of an EV thing but better safety systems and being a North American car might have helped.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My insurance went down $200 a year when i switched from my Mazda 3. Don't think that is because of an EV thing but better safety systems and being a North American car might have helped.
Alas, I did not have the same experience. Albeit, I swapped out a rebuilt-from-salvage 2006 Prius (which never had a problem in 8 years of ownership and 228,000km) for a New 2017 Volt, my insurance definitely went up, a fair bit. That reminds me, I have to shop around for other insurance options...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts