Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PREMISE:

At any given time, there are a fixed number of passengers needing rides which we have no control over. If drivers are spread evenly over a given area, the UBER side of the equation works and we all get paid shit. Drivers tend to look at the passenger app and try to move away from other drivers which exasperates the problem.

The CONCEPT:

If drivers were to all gather in a central location - say the Monmouth Mall - There would be no drivers in the surrounding towns and Asbury, Red Bank, Long Branch, Tinton Falls, Neptune, etc would all light up like a Christmas tree with surges. We could go a step further and all log off at the same time then log back on and go fishing. If we really wanted to test the Uber servers, we could all request a ride, wait 4 minutes and then cancel. No drivers would be adversely affected if we were all there and aware.

The PROBLEM:

It would be nearly impossible to get enough drivers to cooperate to make this work. In a perfect world, we would have a computer program that tells each driver where to go and when to log off/on.

Perhaps we can get enough of us to test the theory on a slow weekday evening.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The PREMISE:

At any given time, there are a fixed number of passengers needing rides which we have no control over. If drivers are spread evenly over a given area, the UBER side of the equation works and we all get paid shit. Drivers tend to look at the passenger app and try to move away from other drivers which exasperates the problem.

The CONCEPT:

If drivers were to all gather in a central location - say the Monmouth Mall - There would be no drivers in the surrounding towns and Asbury, Red Bank, Long Branch, Tinton Falls, Neptune, etc would all light up like a Christmas tree with surges. We could go a step further and all log off at the same time then log back on and go fishing. If we really wanted to test the Uber servers, we could all request a ride, wait 4 minutes and then cancel. No drivers would be adversely affected if we were all there and aware.

The PROBLEM:

It would be nearly impossible to get enough drivers to cooperate to make this work. In a perfect world, we would have a computer program that tells each driver where to go and when to log off/on.

I like the concept of your thread it would work if all drivers were on board with it, that's the problem. One day I envisioned if all drivers at let's say at EWR were to stay logged off until surge hit 3.x or better and then log in and go fishing , if it drops below 3.x they all log out until it goes back up. Thing is you'll never get enough drivers to do it .

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This assumes that the demand is not price elastic (demand goes down when price goes up) and that there is enough demand to keep even a portion of drivers busy at most times.

Unfortunately, neither is true at most times on the shore and during the winter.

When the price goes up demand falls off.

You could sit at the mall all day and have no one actually need or even request a ride for any driver.

So this sort of attempt at coordination just causes the drivers who go offline to do zero rides.

I don't suggest it.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
One day I envisioned if all drivers at let's say at EWR were to stay logged off until surge hit 3.x or better and then log in and go fishing .
The problem is that there are a lot of substitutes out there for passengers seeking a ride. Uber isn't a monopoly, even if you could control ride share partners- which I don't think you can.

If the price gets too high, or unavailable, the passengers can take a cab, limo, transit bus, call a friend, hotel courtesy van or rent a car. They can also wait for an hour or two, have a few cocktails in the terminal until prices go down.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This non communication amongst fellow drivers is to foober "s advantage. Where the mushrooms- keep in the dark covered in manure. To Lepke's point I have seen like him many drivers too many times overloading a car taking every ping waiting 10-15 minutes for people to show . Driving from shore rate to non and picking up in non area. Ignorance is foober S bliss. This is why the decision coming down in Sesttle where drivers want to unionize is something important. Me personally I am going to use the study showing riders are only paying 41% of the cost and the cheap rates are unsustainable to the company and that they are burning up VC investors money to bury the competition and that there is a reason Lyft is getting bigger- BS I know but bring up the tipping in app cut rates etc I am going straight between the eyes asking for tips

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The PREMISE:

The CONCEPT:

The PROBLEM:

Uber calls this "Surge Manipulation." It's been done many times. There's someone on here who started something similar in Hoboken and got deactivated.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
The PREMISE:

The CONCEPT:

The PROBLEM:

A better idea would for Uber to set a fixed rate that people feel comfortable driving for and feel they can make a profit.

The manipulation of "surge" and different prices for different passengers doesn't really help the passengers or the drivers. Drivers will still go to big events, because that's where more passengers are.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The question isn't what to do (organizing drivers), it's how.
Drivers have to want to organize and have to think it's THEIR idea. (Rules for Radicals??)
Someone figures that out and everything else falls into place.

I think it would be hilarious if most the NJ drivers met at one place, i.e. Livingston Mall and turned their apps at once. The system probably couldn't take, and according to the rules, we'd be doing nothing wrong. Something like that would send Uber a message.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
The question isn't what to do (organizing drivers), it's how.
Drivers have to want to organize and have to think it's THEIR idea. (Rules for Radicals??)
Someone figures that out and everything else falls into place.

I think it would be hilarious if most the NJ drivers met at one place, i.e. Livingston Mall and turned their apps at once. The system probably couldn't take, and according to the rules, we'd be doing nothing wrong. Something like that would send Uber a message.
Sounds good. When do you want to do it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
A better idea would for Uber to set a fixed rate that people feel comfortable driving for and feel they can make a profit.

The manipulation of "surge" and different prices for different passengers doesn't really help the passengers or the drivers. Drivers will still go to big events, because that's where more passengers are.
Set the rate the same across the state at a higher rate than the Shore is currently. This will solve the
Problem of drivers having to travel to different areas to make a living. No more surge, customer is happy.
They can increase fares 20% from 12:00 am to 4:00 am and on Holidays to make additional revenue.
Competition is healthy for business, Uber should spend the money and effort in making themselves a
Better company than wasting billions trying to put Lyft out of business. There will always be another startup
Around the corner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts