·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Strange and Unbelievable Facts About Shrews

By Matthew L. Miller

March 5, 2018
Follow Matthew
Young shrews (crocidura, most likely c. russula) near their nest. Picture taken at a compost heap in Germany. Photo © Holger Casselmann / Wikimedia Commons through a CC BY-SA 3.0 license

You're walking along some bushes in a park, and suddenly see a tiny gray creature skittering into the fallen leaves. At first you might think it's a rodent, but this frenetic ball of energy is actually a shrew.
While it may appear small and gray, shrews are one of the most voracious mammalian predators on the planet. And they're abundant and widespread, found on five continents in a variety of habitats. In the United Kingdom, there are an estimated 50 shrews per hectare in woodlands, with a country-wide population of more than 40 million shrews. The northern short-tailed shrew may be the most common mammal of the eastern United States.
Soricidae, the shrew family, contains more than 385 species. Superficially, many of these species look similar, with most having pointy snouts, a streamlined body and a grayish coloration. But they exhibit a diversity of behaviors. Even though they're common and widespread, few people see them and fewer know their crazy habits and adaptations.
Let's take a look at just some of the many reasons to marvel at shrews.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Dude. I’m starting to think you are in the Draggie Seymore crew.
What’s the point of all the ******edthreads you start? Seems like you are intentionally trying to bury or prevent meaningful discussion on relevant topics by shitposting garbage threads all over the forums.

Please stop already.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Uber Ants Could Be Shrews, If they start lifting.

Uber and Lyft are Snakes!

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Grey creatures in SF are usually rats, sometimes mice, occasionally possums. I try not to mistake rats for Uber staffers, I hate rats but I don't want to insult them.

And there's always this kind of sad grey critter.

Beard Jaw Cap Headgear Street fashion

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grey creatures in SF are usually rats, sometimes mice, occasionally possums. I try not to mistake rats for Uber staffers, I hate rats but I don't want to insult them.

And there's always this kind of sad grey critter.

View attachment 309991
Unfortunately, this sad gray critter is all over the SF Bay Area, and they reproduce at an alarming rate.

Reactions: nash801

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Dude. I'm starting to think you are in the Draggie Seymore crew.
What's the point of all the @@@@@@edthreads you start? Seems like you are intentionally trying to bury or prevent meaningful discussion on relevant topics by shitposting garbage threads all over the forums.

Please stop already.
The Draggie Seymour crew. Haha! Now that's some funny shit.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Dude. I'm starting to think you are in the Draggie Seymore crew.
What's the point of all the @@@@@@edthreads you start? Seems like you are intentionally trying to bury or prevent meaningful discussion on relevant topics by shitposting garbage threads all over the forums.

Please stop already.
UP is pretty much swamped by Uber staffers now. They most often join Friday or Saturday and comment on just about everything to become Well-known. They've got smarter about how they embed their message into the comments.
I'm more inclined to think w is one of 2 IDs used by an older member who dropped away for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.