Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

haven't posted here in a while. just wanted to share a story that I think will make your blood boil as much as mine did hahaha.

Friday night in simi valley, one of my first rides of the night - I picked up a guy and girl, probably 30 years old. they get in and I see that they are heading to a dive bar like 4 mins away. they tell me that they want to pick their friends up and they are on the way. I asked how many people we would be picking up and they confirmed it was only 2 so I said fine. they were very loud and obnoxious right off the bat and when we pulled up to their friends house, the girl gets out to go grab her friends.

I sit there with the boyfriend and he starts some typical uber small talk. we're about 5 minutes in and he says, do you like this music? referring to the techno music I had on low in the background. I said yeah, I love all types of music really, and I like listening to this type of music because it keeps my energy up and most passengers dig it on their way out to the club or bar. he says "I f'ing hate this kind of music. so repetitive and stupid. turn it off and put on some like punk rock or something." I said, that's fine, let me see what I got and then turned on some rock music. It had been 5-7 mins now and I said, hey can you text or call her and let her know we have to get going? he goes "uuuuuhhhh....aren't you like, getting paid for this right now?" I said, yeah 15 cents a minute which is nothing and I would really like to get going so I can continue working. He goes "uuuuuuuh okay???" calls his girls and says "babe, this uber driver is getting all pissed off and says we have to go". They come running outside and are all like sorry sorry thanks for stopping, I said its fine I just wanted to get going because the time I am spending waiting is longer than the ride itself. they then ask me if we can stop at an ATM to take money out. I said nope, we're going to the bar I am not stopping again.

So now I got a car full of people that think I am the worst uber driver ever. they are making sure I know that I am a bad uber driver and that I should stop and that this has never happened and that I will be getting a 1 star review. I turn around say look, I do not a give a F if you give me a 1 star. I could kick all of you out of my car right now but I am going to be cool and drive 2 more minutes to get you to your destination or I can leave you at the ATM. pick one. they continue to whine for 2 more minutes and then I drop them off. My rating goes down .2 and at that point I decided I was sick of driving around my town and dealing with people like this and 4 minute trips so I drive down to the valley. my first request? 2 kids going straight back to Simi Valley. I would've said nope but my cancellation and acceptance rating is crap right now.

I was in a terrible mood but luckily got a $50 surge ride to Topanga which completely turned my night around and ended up making some good money.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Annnnd that's exactly what gets you out of rideshare driving. That one sh!t customer has an outsized influence on your night and good passengers don't completely cancel them out. It's both depressing and demotivating.

One thing for sure...if someone starts talking 1*, they're walking. If I'm going to get a 1*, they can do that in a gas station parking lot. Then I notify Uber support and tell them I kicked them out for possible drug use and they threatened my rating. It's their word against mine and I'm the only one with access to the dash cam footage.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Glad you ended on a good night. I've been ubering around chatsworth lately and people there have been super nice. Topanga is a a hot spot for ubering. Always a good surge on the weekends.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Dang, u kept ur composure to continue the ride. For me I would have ended the ride right when that dude said u are getting paid to wait.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am not judging, because I was not there, but why didn't you ask to make the ATM stop worth your while?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not judging, because I was not there, but why didn't you ask to make the ATM stop worth your while?
She actually did say she was getting cash out to tip me, but if I had a dollar for every time a drunk pax said something along those lines and didn't follow through....well I'd probably only have a few bucks - but yeah not happening again. I have a hard time asking for tips in situations like that, I'm a really good tipper and never make someone providing me a service feel as if they need to ask me for a tip.

honestly just wanted to get those idiots out of my car ASAP before I lost my cool.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
The second they started giving me attitude at the friend house, I would have ended the trip and moved on. If they're going to 1 star you, they can go ahead and spend more money on another Uber. It sounded like it would be a minimum regardless of when you ended it. Cut them off.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I used to be able to do that. Now in nyc blackcar drivers are forced to keep 4.8 or above. I used to reprimand pax and eject them. Now i say nothing. Want to have sex i my car? Sure no problem, want a condom that looks like a barfbag? I.d. my a$$

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I used to be able to do that. Now in nyc blackcar drivers are forced to keep 4.8 or above. I used to reprimand pax and eject them. Now i say nothing. Want to have sex i my car? Sure no problem, want a condom that looks like a barfbag? I.d. my a$$
It really can't be that hard to keep a 4.8 in NYC is it?

Maybe you should start recording everything going on inside your car and sell it to *******

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It really can't be that hard to keep a 4.8 in NYC is it?

Maybe you should start recording everything going on inside your car and sell it to *******
Its not hard if you say nothing and maintain a very low accept rate. My last 100 ratings have averaged very close to 5.0 stars in anticipation of the new 4.8 star rule. My prior 500 averaged just above 4.72. I made the cut by a very narrow margin with just a day to spare. My driving didnt change. My accept rate did and my ability to eject riders has vanished. I call every suv fare to ask how many riders now. I dont stop people from bringing containers in my car. I dont even stop them from smoking if they really must. I can not. That single one star can be disasterous for me. Uber says i am an independent contractor but that is a farcry from reality now that i am boynd to 4.8. The hardest time to maintain 4.8 is on fri and sat night. Most of my drive time is during these two nights.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Are you at least working outside the app to get your own customers?

If I were already paying for SUV (vehicle type and fees associated with it) I would be hustling for private customers outside of Uber.

What % of your pax are Uber versus Private Clients?

Its not hard if you say nothing and maintain a very low accept rate. My last 100 ratings have averaged very close to 5.0 stars in anticipation of the new 4.8 star rule. My prior 500 averaged just above 4.72. I made the cut by a very narrow margin with just a day to spare. My driving didnt change. My accept rate did and my ability to eject riders has vanished. I call every suv fare to ask how many riders now. I dont stop people from bringing containers in my car. I dont even stop them from smoking if they really must. I can not. That single one star can be disasterous for me. Uber says i am an independent contractor but that is a farcry from reality now that i am boynd to 4.8. The hardest time to maintain 4.8 is on fri and sat night. Most of my drive time is during these two nights.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Are you at least working outside the app to get your own customers?

If I were already paying for SUV (vehicle type and fees associated with it) I would be hustling for private customers outside of Uber.

What % of your pax are Uber versus Private Clients?
I have no privates and dont want them. I have a large and growing family with more young ones than i can manage. If i am not driving i am watching kids or doing other non related work that either pays me or saves me money. Besides in nyc its risky to drice privates with a live tlc license and plate

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I have no privates and dont want them. I have a large and growing family with more young ones than i can manage. If i am not driving i am watching kids or doing other non related work that either pays me or saves me money. Besides in nyc its risky to drice privates with a live tlc license and plate
Risky? Isn't that what the full coverage insurance does for you, mitigate that risk?

I know if I were paying thousands more to drive, I certainly wouldn't limit myself to Uber's system...

Though I am not familiar with NYC, so your vehicles plate is specifically for TNC like how limos have LIMO plates?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Risky? Isn't that what the full coverage insurance does for you, mitigate that risk?

I know if I were paying thousands more to drive, I certainly wouldn't limit myself to Uber's system...

Though I am not familiar with NYC, so your vehicles plate is specifically for TNC like how limos have LIMO plates?
As i understand commercial liability may refuse to pay a claim for illicit fares. I can drive family but not illegal fares. I could be wrong but i think that is in the finescript. My plate is not specific to tnc it is a specific to for hire vehicle work and branded by the tlc

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
As i understand commercial liability may refuse to pay a claim for illicit fares. I can drive family but not illegal fares. I could be wrong but i think that is in the finescript. My plate is not specific to tnc it is a specific to for hire vehicle work and branded by the tlc
If you are on Uber Black or SUV, NYC aside, that requires full commercial insurance and licensing which allows you to solicit fares any which way you want. Unless NYC doesn't allow simple Black and SUV from picking up street fare. In Atlanta, if I were driving Black or SUV, I'd be fully insured and licensed to pickup street hail, arranged rides, pre-arranged bookings all outside of the Uber App.

I'm sure your life is busy, but cutting out Uber's 25% from your Black/SUV earnings would be a significant pay increase. It'd probably be easier and more flexible than even using the Uber app. Give out your number, maybe make some business cards and when a private customer calls you take them where they need to go. You can charge flat fees or have them pull up Uber Black rates and tell them you'll match it.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you are on Uber Black or SUV, NYC aside, that requires full commercial insurance and licensing which allows you to solicit fares any which way you want. Unless NYC doesn't allow simple Black and SUV from picking up street fare. In Atlanta, if I were driving Black or SUV, I'd be fully insured and licensed to pickup street hail, arranged rides, pre-arranged bookings all outside of the Uber App.

I'm sure your life is busy, but cutting out Uber's 25% from your Black/SUV earnings would be a significant pay increase. It'd probably be easier and more flexible than even using the Uber app. Give out your number, maybe make some business cards and when a private customer calls you take them where they need to go. You can charge flat fees or have them pull up Uber Black rates and tell them you'll match it.
You canr do streethail or any type of private here without a base dispatching the fare. Taxis and greencabs are the only ones allowed to do streethail. The problem is that uber is too cheap for uberx. More often than not when you give privates a 40% discounted rate from uber suv they follow up with "but ubet charges me 55$ to jfk" after i quote them 100$ on an suv. They dont know nor do they care about the difference from x to suv which is roughly over 200%. It just doesnt work as easy in nyc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts