Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All the wonderful high-tech stuff that we enjoy and depend on these days are largely due to the innovation from Silicon Valley. To support the constant advancement, big tech companies here have long been hiring computer science talents from overseas, especially India. As a result, I have had plenty of well-educated and upright Indian neighbors for over two decades.

My Uber ridership also reflected the demographics of the tech scene. Out of all my 3,420 passengers, 990 were noted as Indians in my spreadsheet. It’s very possible that I mistook some Pakistanis or other similarly featured nationals for Indians, so let me be conservative and say I had 890 Indian passengers. That is still 26% of the total. In other words, one out of every four people who sat in my car was an Indian person.

Most of my Indian passengers were software engineers, both male and female, going to and from places like Google, Apple, Amazon, Tesla, Cisco, Intel, NVidia, VMware, Yahoo, and the list goes on. Other times my minivan would carry Indian families of three, four, five, or six going to various places. I also remember taking an Indian worker to begin his shift at an Indian restaurant in Santa Clara, an Indian grandpa and his grandson to Karate practice in Sunnyvale, and three Indian seniors in their 70’s to a beautiful Hindu temple in Livermore.

Then one day in 2017, I picked up an Indian person who was very different from the others.

It was a Friday evening at 7 o'clock. I arrived at BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse in Cupertino and saw the Indian man sitting on the stone bench outside. Nobody else was around. He stood up slowly and walked toward my car. His Tarzan-like body filled out his Italian suit like a Hollywood celebrity. His greased curly long hair flowed past his shoulders like Jesus Christ. I thought to myself, “What’s up with this guy?” After he got into my car, I could smell the alcohol in his breath.

He was a young man probably in his mid 20’s. We started talking. I commented that he didn’t look like a typical Indian. He said he was born here and he didn’t want to be one. He chose to rebel against Indian family values. He wanted to live a life free from the expectations of his parents and his culture. He wanted to be his own man. I never found out what kind of work he was doing, but I learned where he was going. The guy was going to a strip club three miles away.

“Have you been there before?” he asked. “No.” I said. Then he said, “You should try it. Why don’t you go with me?” “No, that’s alright. I am married.” “Your wife doesn’t have to know! Come on, be honest with me! I know you want to go!” he got louder with his intoxicated voice. After I assured him again that I wasn’t interested, we arrived at a little strip mall. He got off and walked slowly toward the unit called Sporty’s Bikini Bar.

That night I did some research on that place and found out it was not a real strip club but a local bar with bikini girls giving lap dances. I hoped that young man whom I nicknamed "Indian Jesus" got what he wanted that night. I also wished him all the best in his future endeavors.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Haha, funny story. I just wonder how you remember all this stuff from years ago? I guess you have a journal and transcribe it to here.
Yes, I kept notes of every single trip in a spreadsheet, like date, time, distance, duration, payout amount, tip, pickup point, destination, number of passengers, their gender, ethnicity, and where they were from (if known)...just some basic information. It's my way to keep track of my earnings, study the business, and be a social observer. I am glad you enjoyed the story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.