Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Stimulus Package -- Benefits and Consequences

Pay 
2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Stevie The magic Unicorn 
#1 ·
Sent this off to a few friends last night. Maybe everything's already been covered in other threads, as I'm sure it's the hottest topic ever here. But if not, would enjoy hearing everyone's take.

Lyft sent out a memo with some preliminary details about the CARES Act and how it will affect its "workforce" tonight. Maybe I'm looking at this unrealistically, but if I read it right, I'll likely be compensated to sit at home with a paycheck INXS of what I'd make if I continued to dedicate 50-60 hours weekly to its cause.

Here's the statement:

Other drivers who are self-employed, including independent contractors , would be eligible to receive compensation through a new temporary Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program available upon enactment of the legislation through December 31, 2020. Those who are unable or unavailable to work as a direct result of the coronavirus public health emergency may qualify for this assistance. The program would offer up to 39 weeks of benefits - with weekly benefits of at least half the average weekly benefit under regular unemployment insurance plus an additional $600 per week for up to four months.
I'm pulling in about $850 gross per week. Who knows what the net is, but there's significant outlays for gas, car maintenance and vehicle depreciation.

If the unemployment insurance is $200 weekly (it was $300 when Dan's let go of me) and that $600 figure holds up, then there is no reason for me to continue driving for the next four months.

But then again, why would anyone continue driving rideshare? As I see it there are three possibilities:

1.) The rideshare companies will cease to exist unless they dramatically increase compensation to the drivers to forego the benefit package.

2.) The legislation will permit drivers to continue to earn and receive benefits.

3.) In the minimal amount of time that was allowed to draft this bill, congress failed to think through the consequences of protecting the rideshare drivers to the point where they took the money and ran.

I suppose a fourth, mitigating possibility is that anyone who is ineligible for both the unemployment payouts and the compensatory $600 weekly package might fill the breach, and the world will have a whole new colony of ants appearing on their rideshare aps.

And maybe the rideshare companies will get a massive payout to stabilize their businesses if they essentially go dark.

But at first blush, it would appear I've fallen into some very appealing cracks.

See less See more
#2 ·
In the minimal amount of time that was allowed to draft this bill, congress failed to think through the consequences of protecting the rideshare drivers to the point where they took the money and ran.
Do you really think that Congress cares if there's rideshare drivers about or not during the crisis? The world survived long before there was Uber or Lyft and it can last 4 months without them.

#5 ·
If I qualify I still plan on resuming driving - even if it is only to deliver food. That way I can keep my account active with Uber and Lyft. But as long as we are under a stay at home order in my state, the only people needing rides are those most at risk of catching the virus - not my ideal passengers at the moment.

As far as pay goes, There will be a time next month when people start going back to work, but also drivers will still be fearful to drive. I'd expect surge opportunities when that happens.

#6 ·
depending on how the individual state requirements work you can likely still drive & collect the Unemployment

some states require you to state whatever income you received when you file your weekly claim

the likely result is they decrease that weeks benefit amount based on what you report

I can kinda see a result of someone working this unemployment system by claiming a couple of full weeks then driving a week then claiming full again (any non qualifying weeks would just extend the eligibility weeks)

for example

we get 12 weeks with the extra $600

claim 2 full weeks
Drive 1 week (week denied as income was more than benefits)
Claim 1 full week

in this example you will have only used 3 weeks of the 12 week extra $600 benefit & would still have 9 weeks with the extra $600 remaining

it again depends on individual state requirements

But if you work it right you can milk it out an extra month

for some states this is a new development in dealing with the self employed

but for now it will eventually be abused as long as we are eligible 😉

#11 ·
I parked the car 2 weeks ago, after nearly 3 years of FT driving. My household has an individual who is immune system compromised. Clearly not worth the risk to continue driving for the foreseeable future for me. I filed for unemployment last night online. Supposedly by next week the online info will reflect that wait time and job search requirements are being waived for the time being. My understanding is also that we may be required to prove that we are no longer driving in order to qualify for the meager state benefits.

#16 ·
Here's a scenerio...

Just because we "CAN" work doesn't mean we can actually make anything.

In Orlando Disney is closed, the airport is a ghost town, and the restaurants/bars are closed, the malls are closed.... ect.

There's like half a dozen INDIVIDUAL hotels that are closed that (when disney/universal are open) generate more fares per day the ENTIRETY OF SEMINOLE COUNTY (the county north of Orange county Florida/Orlando)

YES there are single hotels generate more cab fares than an entire COUNTY.

If all the "active" drivers (on the day Disney closed) went out there would be no pings to go around. There just wouldn't be any...

You can also take "partial" unemployment because your hours have been slashed.

SO it really comes down to, are we eligible for unemployment if we can in theory work but can't actually make anything? Or can't make anywhere near what we can normally make.

This comes down to asking about it, we may have to report our weekly earnings. Another issue is if it's not safe to work, IE the state put out a Stay at home order for those over 65, would that make us eligible?

Let's assume for a moment that you have an underlying respratory issue, like one of the ones that Covid19 WILL KILL YOU, would that make you eligible?

Right now i have more questions than awnsers.

Reactions: islanddriver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.