Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s working for me! If by working only for Lyft is what they were aiming for. I’ve barely turned on the Uber app this week. It’s a bold strategy on Lyft’s part. But I know that I’ve made more money and driven far fewer miles, thereby spending far fewer dollars on fuel. Those bonuses are adding up.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
It's working for me! If by working only for Lyft is what they were aiming for. I've barely turned on the Uber app this week. It's a bold strategy on Lyft's part. But I know that I've made more money and driven far fewer miles, thereby spending far fewer dollars on fuel. Those bonuses are adding up.
it only lasted a couple weeks in chicago. I haven't seen it since.....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You prefer this over the old surge? I hate this new one.
Yesterday in pdx lyft should of been surging all day like in the past.
I was late to the game and never a part of the old Lyft surge/PT, and over the last 8 mos, PT has been sparse, so I have nothing to compare this to. I will say I agree with Clayla in that I've turned Uber off more this week once the purple and pink zones bonus started rolling up.

And, I'm 4 rides away from another $47 with a Streak and Weekly Challenge combo. Plus Lyft almost matched Uber for my income this week...woohoo Lyft! ($2500 still > $1000. :-/ )

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
I gave a ride from dt to Wilsonville yesterday. On Uber. At 1.7x it paid $50+.

I suppose I could have done that ride on Lyft instead and made $28 + $3.27 surge.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Mista T, sure, you made a good/lucky choice, aided by the fact that there was 1.7 on Uber and the rider was going some distance. When there's 1.7+ potential, I turn Lyft off and hope for the best, too.

However, how often do we see legit 1.7+ in Portland anymore? Since we don't know drop destinations until pickup, your rider could just as easily have been going 6/10 of a mile for $3.75X1.7 for a total of around $6.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
Mista T, sure, you made a good/lucky choice, aided by the fact that there was 1.7 on Uber and the rider was going some distance. When there's 1.7+ potential, I turn Lyft off and hope for the best, too.

However, how often do we see legit 1.7+ in Portland anymore? Since we don't know drop destinations until pickup, your rider could just as easily have been going 6/10 of a mile for $3.75X1.7 for a total of around $6.
You are absolutely right.

We are in new territory, and all just feeling this stuff out.

I like that Uber surge is in multiple places, not just one area that has been chosen for me to head to.

I like that Lyft gives me a guarantee. However I do not like that the guarantee masks the Estimated Ride Time.

I dislike that the guarantee is only for the next ping. If you go offline or don't feel like a 20 min pickup, lost guarantee.

I feel that when the Lyft bonus $$ is higher, it is a real surge, which means the pax are getting charged surge. Fewer pax will order rides in the zone due to higher prices.

The good is when there is a short ride, we get paid double or triple for a mini ride. But, it sucks that we have to drive in for the max benefit, THEN we have to drive out to get a pax that is ordering a non-surge ride. That's a lot of wasted time (in bad traffic cond) for the extra $$.

When you are using DF, you will not be given any bonus no matter what.

It is a trial and error system. We each have to find what works best for each of us. Personally, I don't like the new Lyft stuff, but that does not mean that is won't work for others.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I kinda hate the new system, but when Uber is not offering surge pricing, I do prefer using it, especially when I am in the pink zone. However, waiting for a ride when I can get one like that on Uber only makes it worth it when the surge premium is high and there is no tendency for long distances. For distance, Uber rocks to for events or Airport Uber is the bomb. Or when they both have no surge. One way I gage it is this: The average airport ride is downtown and gets $15. That means that if Uber is X 2.0 I would expect lift to offer $15. Downtown I expect most rides will be local so premiums on Lyft count more. If I am rushing back at 2:15 from Beaverton to catch the last of the surge I use Uber since I want a ping ASAP and don't want to wait until I am in the zone. Lots of math...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I experienced today what happens when the “rider cancels” when you have a bonus banked and applied to the ride: the bonus disappears and you get to find another bonus zone and start over.

Thanks paxhole, that cost me $8.

Fine, I turned Lyft off and did a couple Uber rides. Turned Lyft back on later and finished my day with a couple more bonuses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts