Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://kidsridesafe.org/map.html

It can be a challenge to figure out what the rules are for transporting your kids in a rideshare vehicle. Laws are different from state to state, and they aren't all crystal clear on who should be doing what. The guidelines below can help keep your children safe and keep you on the right side of the law.

·
Premium Member
11,593 Posts
I think the main issue with car seats and ride share is that pax don't want to understand that it's their responsibility to BRING THE CARSEAT for their child that they brought into this world.
That is at least theoretically true in Florida, but these things vary so much from state to state that blanket statements can only cause problems.

The prudent driver will research their own state laws, using the link above, and follow the law in their jurisdiction.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Simple. If the rider has a child that requires a car seat and they failed to bring one inform them of the requirement and if they can't produce one Stat then cancel. I cannot have a kids car seat in my backseat 24/7 in the rare event it is needed, not am I stowing it in the trunk taking up airport run baggage space. Come on.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I'm almost to the point where the presence of a small child (with or without car seat) means a cancel. Without the car seat gets me the $5 or $10 cancellation fee, but with a car seat gets me 3-4 minutes of waiting for dad/mom and kid(s) to waddle out to my car, 5 more minutes of them buckling the kid in, then 5 more minutes getting the kid out when the ride is done.

Of course, little Ayden, Cayden, Jayden or Tanika can't go the entire 3 minute ride without eating crackers or cookies, so my backseat looks like Ypres circa 1917 after they get out. Then there's all the dirt and old food from the bottom of the car seat that has never been wiped down properly. So that gets me another few minutes wiping my seats down and picking the crumbs out of the back seat.

I also don't think I've ever been tipped by a parent with a kid with a car seat. They might be the worst demographic that we have to deal with on a daily basis.

It's worth burning a cancel to avoid what is basically guaranteed to be a money loser.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I'm almost to the point where the presence of a small child (with or without car seat) means a cancel. Without the car seat gets me the $5 or $10 cancellation fee, but with a car seat gets me 3-4 minutes of waiting for dad/mom and kid(s) to waddle out to my car, 5 more minutes of them buckling the kid in, then 5 more minutes getting the kid out when the ride is done.

Of course, little Ayden, Cayden, Jayden or Tanika can't go the entire 3 minute ride without eating crackers or cookies, so my backseat looks like Ypres circa 1917 after they get out. Then there's all the dirt and old food from the bottom of the car seat that has never been wiped down properly. So that gets me another few minutes wiping my seats down and picking the crumbs out of the back seat.

I also don't think I've ever been tipped by a parent with a kid with a car seat. They might be the worst demographic that we have to deal with on a daily basis.

It's worth burning a cancel to avoid what is basically guaranteed to be a money loser.
^^^^^Amen to this entire statement ^^^^^^

I received a $1 tip (WHOO HOO!) from a woman with 3 kids under 5 years old.....3 car seats, 3 grimy kids, going to a freaking concert at the Santa Monica Pier (which is a traffic shit show on it's best day - with a concert happening? OMFG KILL ME). During the 8 minute, 1.5 mile trip from Venice the kids opened a box of crackers in the back seat by popping it open and half of the food got on the seat and floor. Heaven forbid they not eat for an 8-minute timespan. Dropped them off on a busy street that was packed with cars (she insisted on getting as close to the pier as possible because she had 3 kids to drag around), and when she realized that they had made a mess in the car she tried hastily wiping the crumbs onto the floor.

This was before I knew about a cleanup fee so I pulled away and stopped around the corner and tried wiping things down so I could keep driving because it was a surging Saturday in Santa Monica.

It was a 1.7 surge trip but since we only drove 1.5 miles (even though it felt like it took years) I barely made anything. Oh but that $1 tip, THAT made it all worth it.

·
Premium Member
13,239 Posts
I think the main issue with car seats and ride share is that pax don't want to understand that it's their responsibility to BRING THE CARSEAT for their child that they brought into this world.
My "favorite" instance was a woman saying, "i dont have a car, why would i have a car seat?"

My reply, because, your child could die without one...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Of course, little Ayden, Cayden, Jayden or Tanika can't go the entire 3 minute ride without eating crackers or cookies
LMFAO!

.3 car seats, 3 grimy kids, going to a freaking concert at the Santa Monica Pier (which is a traffic shit show on it's best day - with a concert happening? OMFG KILL ME
LMAO YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME

·
Registered
383 Posts
Park outside of a daycare any afternoon with your dash cam running. Capture the drivers and license plates picking up 1-5 yr olds with out anything to restrain them. Car seats and bad driver issue fixed. thoughts?

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
Park outside of a daycare any afternoon with your dash cam running. Capture the drivers and license plates picking up 1-5 yr olds with out anything to restrain them. Car seats and bad driver issue fixed. thoughts?
You go first.
Come back with footage and results then we'll try.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My "favorite" instance was a woman saying, "i dont have a car, why would i have a car seat?"

My reply, because, your child could die without one...
My reply would be - I don't have a child, why would I have a car seat?

I considered getting a child seat, but I have very little trunk space in the SUV, and I need it for people with luggage. And it still wouldn't cover me for the people with multiple kids. What strikes me is why it's OK for kids to ride on a school bus WITHOUT a seat belt, but not in the back of my SUV WITH a seat belt?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts