Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember what their start up costs were? I'm trying to give my little brother a better understanding of what it costs to do this. Also weekly costs would be great. I'm trying to give him a broad range so that he had all the info he can get.

Thanks in advance. :-D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Depends on the equipment he has in terms of a car and phone. If he's already got that stuff, the costs are minimal. It costs nothing from Uber to become a driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's so many cars to choose from and if he is looking for a new personal car anyways, there are some smart choices out there so you can come out on top even with: UberX, XL, Select.

Its going to be very relative though for startup costs. I for one would never get stuck into being only able to do UberX requests.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can u tell me how much an Uber driver averages weekly in Atlanta? I'm thinking of moving from Cali next Summer. Thanks for any responses. To expensive to live in Cali

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't started driving for Uber yet, and I won't until I have a solid understanding of the start-up costs. What I have learned so far is that you need to compare your fixed costs divided by your expected miles driven per month, and then add that too your expected variable costs divided by your actual miles driven.

Here's the formula:

(Fixed costs ÷ expected miles) + (Variable costs ÷ actual miles) = cost per mile.

Fixed costs could include:
* Car lease payment/loan payment
* Rideshare insurance
* Gap insurance
* Health insurance
* Permits, taxes and compliance

Variable costs could include:
* Fuel
* Maintenace
- oil changes
- air filters
- lubricants
- wiper blades
- light bulbs
- Tires
- Brakes
- Suspension
- Exhaust system
* Car cleaning (remember sprayer, water and vinegar to reduce this cost)
* Wages (what do you want to make per hour?)

I'll share my estimated numbers later, but a couple questions for the people who post to this forum:

* how many miles do you drive for Uber per month?
* Is my list accurate? Is there anything I am missing?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven't started driving for Uber yet, and I won't until I have a solid understanding of the start-up costs. What I have learned so far is that you need to compare your fixed costs divided by your expected miles driven per month, and then add that too your expected variable costs divided by your actual miles driven.

Here's the formula:

(Fixed costs ÷ expected miles) + (Variable costs ÷ actual miles) = cost per mile.

* Rideshare insurance
* Gap insurance
* Health insurance

* Fuel
* Maintenace
- oil changes
- air filters
- lubricants
- wiper blades
- light bulbs
- Tires
- Brakes
- Suspension
- Exhaust system

I'll share my estimated numbers later, but a couple questions for the people who post to this forum:

You're too smart for this job. ;-)

·
Banned
640 Posts
We make about $50 a day. There are TOO MANY DRIVERS IN THE ATL! Try driving in Cali!

Here's the formula:

* Rideshare insurance
* Gap insurance
* Health insurance

* Fuel
* Maintenace
- oil changes
- air filters
- lubricants
- wiper blades
- light bulbs
- Tires
- Brakes
- Suspension
- Exhaust system

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just spoke to an Uber driver I met recently. He drives for Uber Select and does about 100 to 150 miles per day. Is that fair estimate for all drivers? How many miles are you all logging per day?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I don't pay any attention to daily miles. That is the beauty of Uber. There is no one answer fits all. We all get to do whatever math we want to.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I don't pay any attention to daily miles. That is the beauty of Uber. There is no one answer fits all. We all get to do whatever math we want to.
I'd hope you'd be keeping track of your daily miles for tax write off purposes... i would think most drivers would have a mileage log for that, if not, you're really hurting yourself come tax season. If you decide that saving gas and expense receipts is easier, you'll get far less deductions doing that than tracking miles. This is coming from my professional CPA that works for my 9-5...

OP, on a full day Saturday running, I can go upwards of 160-180 miles doing a noon-midnight run.

Regular operations doesn't seem profitable, but they do a lot of guarantees and eventually you'll start learning how to predict surges. I'm not quiet there yet but I'm starting to see the pattern of when surges happen and in what part of the city so I can plan accordingly. I'm not caring about surges this week because there's a guarantee: $1500 for the week. I had a similar guarantee 2 weeks ago for $1700. Not sure if it'll always be that frequent, but it's not bad and guarantees promote short quick trips within Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead so that means driving less miles.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts